Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arsenal1

accutane with antibiotics?

have you guys ever been on accutane with anitbiotics? if so were there any changes in your skin? did it help? did it not? and will this effect my accutane course?

Depends on the antibiotic. Minocycline and other tetracyclines shouldn't be taken with Accutane due to the risk of increased intracranial pressure and the major issues that can result from that.

Others are just fine to take with Accutane. Some doctors do prescribe an antibiotic or a short course of steroids to help Accutane users out with the initial breakout when it's particularly bad.

My dermatologist has me on 500 mg of ampicillin a day with my accutane. I'm on day 29 of 40 mg of accutane a day and I have not had an initial breakout at all. I pretty much started to clear right away. In fact, I haven't even gotten a new pimple in over a week. I had moderate, persistent acne to start. My derm just bumped my dose up to 60 mg for next month and is keeping me on the antibiotic for another month as well. At least for me, the combination of the accutane with an antibiotic has been great.

Do you guys think that after you get off the anitbiotic youll start to break out though? Thats kind of what I'm worried about because my face looks like its starting to finally clear and now that I'm going to be put on the antibiotic I don't really want to have another breakout after I get off the antiobiotic.

As you're already on Accutane, it's less likely that you'll have a breakout when stopping the antibiotic. But no one can say for sure.

My derm told me no antibiotics while on Roaccutane. It's too risky.

I stopped taking them as I started 'tane. I did start breaking out, but I put that down to the IB.