Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QT3.14

Death to Tretinoin Cream! >:(

]Well, this is my first post and this is my OWN opinoin and experience with Tretinoin, so if you had success, thats good for you.

I am 18 and i started off with 5 whiteheads all over? Although i wanted 100% clear skin, i flew to the derm's office and quickly asked to prescribe something. He prescribed me tretionoin cream 0.025%, he was looking at me like i was crazy because he said i had a lovely skin, but in the greedy of wanting CLEAR skin! SO, the first day i started this, i waited 30 mins and all that, followed directions and what not. I felt that it was odd because i didnt see any changes in 2 weeks, so i went and asked for a higher strength, 0.05%. After starting it i broke out on the 3rd day? But i knew there was going to be an inital break out comming, so i felt like it was working. After 6 weeks of break outs, i stopped. I thought my skin would returned back to normal and tretinoin would have just been something that didnt work. Boy was i wrong, after about 1 month i started breaking out more, big pimple which i never get. Then in 3 months my face was a bumpy ugly mess, the whiteheads i wanted to get rid of multiplied by 50 on both cheeks when i began with 3 on one cheek and 2 on another. I want to list some other things Tretinoin cursed me with.

--> Some people call this a glow, but i call it scary. It left me a shiny sheen or skin... i dont really know how to explain it but under floresent light it would make me look very oily. For example, after i wash my face; in the bathroom i have direct light shining on my face, so after i wash it it looks like a layer of shiny skin and it looked extremely oily. It also looked like it reflected the light... I hope you get an idea of what im trying to say.

-->Sensitive skin, this bothers me the most, along with others but this... ugh. So before i used tretinoin, my face was thick and strong, someone could pinch my cheeks and it wouldnt turn pink or red, even when i blushed it wouldnt turn red.. Well nw its 100x different. Everytime i feel rushed, embarassed, scratch my face, drink alcohol, clown around as in dancing, activitys and things like that, drink hot beverage... many more things. I would turn red and my face would feel heated 24/7. This bothers me so much that i ran out of words to explain it.

-->Whiteheads, Zits and Cyst. Whiteheads x100, Zits x5 and Cyst x4. UGH, thats all i can say..

-->Big pores and excess oily skin..

Other things were Stress, depression and the obsession it gave me.

-->Stress, trying to find a magical cure

-->Depression, i cant face anybody without feeling if my skin is decent or if thier staring at it. Also knowing i refuse to go out and have fun with my friends due to my skin. I have so many things i want to do but i dont want to do it if im not clear, i feel like thiers no point if i feel depressed over my skin while im out.. telling all my friend that im MIA, blaming this on a break up.... dam.

-->Obession, i must admit, even before this tragic happened, i was obssesed but it doesnt matter now, its a whole different story. I wake up everyday and run to the bathroom to see if my face looks better today, check the mirror about 10xs an hour, pick my face, finding a cure...praying to god to help me turn my skin back to normal before i used this crap.. also trying to find a time machine heheh.

***Regret, this is a MAJOR big humongus one. I regret it everyday, break down into tears thinking if i never have used it, i would be so happy.... So many to things i could have done if i never used it, it just breaks my heart.

That was a little breif of my experience, i truly, sincerly hate tretinoin cream.

Here are some pictures and Questions:

Questions - Have anybody used Tretinoin Cream and had the same experience as I did? If so, how are you copping now? What are your "secrets" of getting your skin back to normal?

Any way i can restore my skin? Thicken my skin so it wont be so sensitive?

How can i control my acne?

How can i control my anger and emotions over this? My feelings are so messed up and im so stressed...i cant think straight.

Edited by QT3.14

The cream is comedogenic (at least for the brand name product, not totally sure about the generic, but it's possible). The tretinoin gel or liquid aren't.

You could consider trying the acne.org regimen. Or you could go back to the derm.

Your skin in the first part, no wonder the derm didn't think you needed anything. ;) That might be why s/he prescribed the cream, for its anti-aging, smoothing and exfoliation ability.

Thanks for the reply! I went back to the derm and he gave me Atralin, but im scared to death to use it. I've tried Dans Regiem for a month and it didnt help. My skins a mess, i dont know what to do :(

I'd try the Atralin. Also, one month for Dan's regimen isn't enough to really see if it's going to work or not. So the choice is yours: continue with the Regimen or start the Atralin. Start the Atralin slowly if you do decide to use it. Once every three days for a bit, then every two, then every night. It should be applied at night.

If you only had five white heads and looking at your photos, you have mild acne. I don't think tetrinoine is the thing you should use, just a good soap bar (like tea tree oil), perhaps an egg mask. If you pop it, use neosporin gently (a little). Your acne seems to be of the type that could recover by itself (seems!) or using a gently approach.

If the problem persist add to the regimen BP 2,5% on difficult areas (a little bit and the moisturizer).

But one thing is sure, research and find the best product for yourself.

I had the shiny plastic/snake skin stuff and really raw skin you had when I was on Retin A Micro .1 and .05. It was because they were too strong. I switched to Tretinoin Cream .025 and everythings been good since then

And make sure you use only a pea size! Not chickpea either, but tiny green pea

Edited by whythankyou

Wynne, Thank you for you suggestions. I would give Atalin a try but its Tretinoin and im scared :doubt:. It was the Tretinoin that made my skin crazy and im not sure if i should use it again. What are you using? :)

Corsair, yeah i know i shouldnt have used it in the first place :( I tried tea tree oil and it gave me more whiteheads in a day, I dont know why. I thought Tea tree oil will dry it out. I used BP and it has no reaction for my skin, i used it since i was 15... I should try the egg mask, egg white right? I wish it would recover now, its been almost 6 months and still popping up whiteheads and cyst :(. Thanks for the suggestions though.

whythankyou, Did you start off with 0.01 ans 0.05? I started with 0.025% thne went up to 0.05%. Hows your skin doing so far? Did the shiny skin go away? Please give me more info! Thank you!

whythankyou, Did you start off with 0.01 ans 0.05? I started with 0.025% thne went up to 0.05%. Hows your skin doing so far? Did the shiny skin go away? Please give me more info! Thank you!

I started with the .1, then moved down to .05 because it was too strong, and then the .05 was still too strong, and now I'm at the .025 which is just right for me! Yeah all the shiny skin is gone, it looks like normal skin now. Acne wise I only get like one or two spots a month

Edited by whythankyou

Wynne, Thank you for you suggestions. I would give Atalin a try but its Tretinoin and im scared :doubt:. It was the Tretinoin that made my skin crazy and im not sure if i should use it again. What are you using? :)...

My regimen is in my signature.

You were on the CREAM which is comedogenic plus you may have been experiencing the initial breakout from a retinoid. Just look through the logs of people who have successfully used tretinoin gel/liquid and see what to expect.

Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html Please also realize that at least three months on the medication is required for noticing full benefit. You may experience an 'initial breakout' (explained in previous link) that's due to the purging effect of retinoids.

whythankyou, Oh, great :) How long have you been using it? Lucky :)

Wynne, Thank you for all that information, I'll look into it :)