Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all

When i had a Urine tract infection i was on anti biotics (keflex 500mg) and while i was taking that my acne was clearing a lot, the redness was slowly going but it didn't get rid of it completely. not sure if it would of cleared my acne if i kept taking it. i was taking the anti biotics for 6 days, so what im asking is if the anti biotics works, does it clear your face from acne 100% or does it just reduce redness and acne?

is there anyone here can share your experience using anti biotics to treat acne?

Hello all

When i had a Urine tract infection i was on anti biotics (keflex 500mg) and while i was taking that my acne was clearing a lot, the redness was slowly going but it didn't get rid of it completely. not sure if it would of cleared my acne if i kept taking it. i was taking the anti biotics for 6 days, so what im asking is if the anti biotics works, does it clear your face from acne 100% or does it just reduce redness and acne?

is there anyone here can share your experience using anti biotics to treat acne?

More often than enough antibiotics are just a temporary solution. Once you stop taking them the acne usually comes right back and sometimes worse than before. I was on levaquin 500mg for a lymph node infection and while i was on it for 13 days i did not have any outbreaks either and my skin was clearing. Once i stopped thou, it came back full force. As always it is never good to take antibiotics long term.

Edited by JayQ

Hello all

Everything JayQ said, plus there is no 100% guaranteed cure. Some people have a lot of clearing, some have a little, many do end up breaking out much worse when they stop the antibiotics cold turkey, particularly minocyclin.

Hello all

Everything JayQ said, plus there is no 100% guaranteed cure. Some people have a lot of clearing, some have a little, many do end up breaking out much worse when they stop the antibiotics cold turkey, particularly minocyclin.

Are you saying if i take anti biotics it will make acne go BUT if i stop taking the tablets it will come back OR are you saying when i take them i will clear up then few weeks i will break out even if im taking them?

Pictures below is how bad it is at the moment its not just that 1 spot its on other side of my face too, sorry for low quality i used my PDA phone.

Edited by David-

Hello all

I just want acne to stop even if it means taking anti biotics all day. so there is no way it will work long term for me and not break out while im taking it?

or are you saying it does work but only when you keep taking the tablets?

I actually said neither of those. ;) There's no way of knowing whether you are one of the persons who'd have success with antibiotics or not. There's also no way to predict whether the effects (if good) would last long-term or not. Besides, bacterial resistance can develop and then breakouts will happen all over again.

'Taking antibiotics all day' would do horrible things to the rest of your body. There are side effects to everything you put into your system.

If you do have moderate to severe acne, go to a dermatologist or your family physician for a referral to a derm if that's what your insurance requires.

If you have mild to moderate acne, I'd suggest trying the acne.org regimen.

Remember though that if you do start a regimen, whether this one or a derm-prescribed one, you will have to be consistent and persistent in using it. Or you'll not have the effects you want and you'll have wasted money and time.

Start here for the Regimen step-by-step directions.

Please be sure to read the What to expect page as that helps you see what's normal when you're starting out with the Regimen.

The Biggest Mistakes page will help you determine whether or not you should add that product or change up something with regards to the Regimen.

If you continue to have trouble, Having Trouble? will guide you through a series of questions that will help you pinpoint areas of concern with your use of the Regimen.

There's also a series of Frequently Asked Questions that address the most frequent questions that regularly come up.

Here's a helpful list on Finding Supplies. You can use Dan's products or find the needed gentle cleanser, 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide product, and a gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer at a local drugstore.

Hello all

I just want acne to stop even if it means taking anti biotics all day. so there is no way it will work long term for me and not break out while im taking it?

or are you saying it does work but only when you keep taking the tablets?

I actually said neither of those. ;) There's no way of knowing whether you are one of the persons who'd have success with antibiotics or not. There's also no way to predict whether the effects (if good) would last long-term or not. Besides, bacterial resistance can develop and then breakouts will happen all over again.

'Taking antibiotics all day' would do horrible things to the rest of your body. There are side effects to everything you put into your system.

If you do have moderate to severe acne, go to a dermatologist or your family physician for a referral to a derm if that's what your insurance requires.

If you have mild to moderate acne, I'd suggest trying the acne.org regimen.

Remember though that if you do start a regimen, whether this one or a derm-prescribed one, you will have to be consistent and persistent in using it. Or you'll not have the effects you want and you'll have wasted money and time.

Please be sure to read the page as that helps you see what's normal when you're starting out with the Regimen.

The page will help you determine whether or not you should add that product or change up something with regards to the Regimen.

If you continue to have trouble, will guide you through a series of questions that will help you pinpoint areas of concern with your use of the Regimen.

There's also a series of that address the most frequent questions that regularly come up.

Here's a helpful list on You can use Dan's products or find the needed gentle cleanser, 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide product, and a gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer at a local drugstore.

sorry i quoted the wrong person.. i will ask my doctor when i see him next in 2 weeks and i will go see a derm too

i edited my post and added 2 pictures of the where the worst spot is on my face.

how bad is it? and be honest

thanks for replying guys

Edited by David-

If you take antibiotics properly you will be clear (two to three months high dosis). Problem is you need to stop taking it and then follow a regimen that best fits you.

If you take antibiotics properly you will be clear (two to three months high dosis). Problem is you need to stop taking it and then follow a regimen that best fits you.

yeah ill ask my doctor to give me some strong anti biotics... i think my acne isnt bad now cause im nearly 18 and i got told thats when puberty ends so i hope it fades away after im 18 (in nov)

Yeah you could try the antibiotics but only for a couple months as they could definitely cause more damage to your whole body. I also agree on minocyclin making your skin worse afterward. If you ask for some really strong antibiotics, don't get anything too crazy; particularly cefuroxime axetil which I had problems with. I'm not sure how many dermatologists prescribe that though. If it helps at all I'm 18 and I'm off my antibiotics and birth control and hardly even using my topicals and I've only had one inflamed pimple (which was pretty bad) since I got off all this stuff over a week ago. The non-inflamed acne I have is because caused by other things that once I take care of I might actually see somewhat clear skin. You might want to try Benza-clin and/or tazorac as my acne seems similar to yours and they work pretty well.