Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I told myself "Lightning, stop being a bad girl and stick to a regimen!" I have a habit of abusing products (and spending loads of money in the process).

My regimen consists of this:

Day:

-Wash with Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar (add 5% BP in the wash; I can't apply it topically)

-Apply Neutrogena Healthy Skin Moisturizer (with vitamins and AHA) or vitamin e-oil if I am not wearing make-up

-If I am wearing make-up, skip moisturizer and apply liquid Maybelline Age Rewind Firming Make-up (it doesn't break me out and has excellent coverage) followed by a light covering of pressed powder (LA colors, generic brand)

Night:

-Same cleansing routine

-Use St. Ives Apricot Scrub 4 times a week (some people don't recommend this but it works for me. Whenever I used just this once a day my skin cleared a lot)

-Apply calamine lotion

-Apply bacitracin to nasty zits for anti-bacterial (recently started doing this after reading a topic)

I have officially been devoted to this regimen for 5 days. This is almost a record. I didn't think any of these products would cause me to break out...

Recently I have broken out in large, sometimes painful papules on my cheeks and especially my jawline. I don't understand if this is the infamous "purging" process or a bad reaction to my regimen. I don't know if I should stop it or keep going and see what happens.

Any advice? :( Is my regimen actually bad for my skin?

Edited by Lightning Folly

I don't think any the product you are using should cause you to seriously "purge" or experience an "initial breakout" especially after only 5 days.

you say a lot of things don't break you out.... but since you're breaking out, seems like something is.

for most people on this site sticking to a regimen means at least 6 weeks up to a year.

i hope you can find the dedication to stick to something for at least 6 weeks. which is about the length of time it will take to know if an acne routine might be working for your skin.

scares me a little how many different products you're using and i'm not sure how long or why you're using calamine lotion.

when you say recently you're breaking out. those could have started 6 weeks ago under your skin and just now coming to the surface so its hard to say if what you're using had any effect or did actually aggravate your skin.

when i started a new regimen i added products in slowly one at a time so I could see if I had a bad reaction to any of them.

I don't think any the product you are using should cause you to seriously "purge" or experience an "initial breakout" especially after only 5 days.

you say a lot of things don't break you out.... but since you're breaking out, seems like something is.

for most people on this site sticking to a regimen means at least 6 weeks up to a year.

i hope you can find the dedication to stick to something for at least 6 weeks. which is about the length of time it will take to know if an acne routine might be working for your skin.

scares me a little how many different products you're using and i'm not sure how long or why you're using calamine lotion.

when you say recently you're breaking out. those could have started 6 weeks ago under your skin and just now coming to the surface so its hard to say if what you're using had any effect or did actually aggravate your skin.

when i started a new regimen i added products in slowly one at a time so I could see if I had a bad reaction to any of them.

As far as I know the Purpose and the St. Ives have never broken me out. The calamine lotion is new because I read about it under the reviews section for natural/household remedies. It had a high rating and I had some around, so I tried it. It has helped dry up existing acne but it has no antibacterial properties (where the BP/bacitracin comes in). Since it's mostly zinc I didn't think there was a risk of a break out.

I am taking pictures to help keep track of my progress without trying to remember every zit placement. It might be new surface acne as you suggested. I noticed that, where I have papules now, small red marks had existed previously (like waiting to bulge upward). I am also nearing my period, and I normally get a breakout around that time.

I should give it more time. I am just nervous to waste it.

i know a lot of people for whatever reason can't but just thought i'd throw it in there, if you can see a dermatologist it's always a good idea.

it could be hormones absolutely.

just because of the type of products (its not like you're using a strong retin a type product) and its such a small amount of time i think its much more likely something aggravated your skin. usually an initial breakout happens week 2-4 or sometimes later.

everyone's skin is different, its completely trial and error which is why its best to try a new regime for 6 weeks or so to see if it will work and if not, you can try something else.

i know a lot of people for whatever reason can't but just thought i'd throw it in there, if you can see a dermatologist it's always a good idea.

it could be hormones absolutely.

just because of the type of products (its not like you're using a strong retin a type product) and its such a small amount of time i think its much more likely something aggravated your skin. usually an initial breakout happens week 2-4 or sometimes later.

everyone's skin is different, its completely trial and error which is why its best to try a new regime for 6 weeks or so to see if it will work and if not, you can try something else.

Yeah, I really want to... but my parents think that seeing a derm isn't necessary, and are already shelling out enough money with college coming up in the fall. :doh: I am considering having a long conversation with them though. I am convinced that my acne is mostly hormonal and I can't battle that thoroughly with over-the-counter products.

But thanks! Today my face looks more or less the same but one side looks better. I'm giving it more time and trying to be gentle. :) I can't expect miracles, and I'm hoping to fade some of my red marks from old acne.