Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive been a chronic severe acne and scar sufferer. I have all types of skin conditions. My face is really a mess and I have tried sooo many things. I decided I am no longer going to try to fight my skin problems.

I have been depressed for a while. Just the last week it has gotten worse. 90% of my depression is from my skin condition. Now it is something that I know I can do very little about. I now want to find a way to become less depressed.

I am isolating myself from friends, family etc.. everyday is a routine for me and it is causing severe PSYCHOLOGICAL effects. It's really not good for my health and I can feel it.

I am staying in the house all day avoiding everything and everybody. Its so hard to face the world where nearly everybody I see has better skin than me.

Please help me... my mind is going crazy. What should I do? should I see a psychologist? i dont have money or insurance for one though. My skin has caused me problems for so many years and it only gets worse every year and I can go on and on about my problems but I want to keep it brief. How can I just accept myself? How can I enjoy life like I did a long time ago?

If you know that you're depressed and realize that it's affecting your behavior, you definitely need to seek professional help. Do some research online. A lot of states have programs that you can sign up for that will pay for some (or even all) of your psychologist/psychiatrist bills.

The members of this site can offer you support and advice, but a trained professional can actually help you figure out how to change your thinking and behavior so that you can live a happier life.

Keep your chin up. We're with you. : )

I've hit a few breaking points, on one of my first big 'melt downs' I went to seek help, counseling.

I don't think you can really help yourself unless you talk about how you're feeling and what's bothering you, maybe talk to someone you're close to...?

If you're in school you can (or should be able to) see a counselor or psychologist of sorts. C'est suggestion of finding a program to see someone is a good idea.

Hope you work it out

I think seeking the help of a counselor is the best idea! I have been seeing on since November and she has helped a lot. I still struggle daily with feeling ugly, but not as depressed as I was 7 months ago.

If you can't afford one, maybe seeking a counselor through a local church would help.

Keep your chin up. Ultimately nobody truly cares about how bad your face is, except you. They, of course notice it, but the only thing they truly care about is your personality. This has been very hard for me to swallow, bcuz I think if I can't look in the mirror, how can anyone else look at me and like me. But, when I do go out and am not focused on my face, the easier it is to believe it. The more I isolate myself, the more miserable I am.

If you are a christian and like to listen to messages off online try www.adabible.org and download the message from 05/16/2010; jehoshaphat part ii. There are also other very good sermons in there too.

Don't let yourself depress out, move up out of that pit. You have a strong will and can do it. Try not to look in the mirror, that definitely helps me.

Melinda

Although trying to accept your condition and trying to move on is a good thing, you shouldn't top trying to fight it. Try adjusting everything your life to help your skin condition and continue to do so, because one day you will have skin to be proud of.

That being said, counseling is probably a good way to start, although ive never tried it. Just be aware of the fact that alot of people around the world have it worse than you, for various reasons, and that you should be grateful to be alive and healthy.

Good luck mate!

You don't have to go into counselling. Just go to your doctor and ask for antidepressants. They're pretty liberal with handing them out - all they require is a short explanation of how you've been feeling over the past couple months. They won't make you go into therapy.

Depression is nothing more than a chemical imbalance in the brain. The average bout of depression takes 8 months to resolve itself. You can spend that time feeling the way you are currently, or you can take antidepressants to relieve yourself of the symptoms. But without antidepressants, you won't go back to feeling normal for a very very long time.

Edited by Beautiful Day

You don't have to go into counselling. Just go to your doctor and ask for antidepressants. They're pretty liberal with handing them out - all they require is a short explanation of how you've been feeling over the past couple months. They won't make you go into therapy.

Depression is nothing more than a chemical imbalance in the brain. The average bout of depression takes 8 months to resolve itself. You can spend that time feeling the way you are currently, or you can take antidepressants to relieve yourself of the symptoms. But without antidepressants, you won't go back to feeling normal for a very very long time.

Studies show that a combination of medication and therapy provides the best relief of depression rather than medication alone or therapy alone.

I know what you feel but you need to accept the situation and find a solution that can help you improve your life. In my case I took a final tour of antibiotics and then I follow a regimen that really helps. I have even try things that I wouldn't thought to use, like essential oil, drink roobois tea and taking echinacea/propolis.

But I can control my acne now pretty well. Try to do something in your life and avoid staying all the time at home or in your room (stress low your immune system defenses).

I wish you the best of lucks and find your way out of this problem. It is something that all of us with cronic acne have to deal with: acne and depression.

Edited by Corsair

just get back out there and live your life.. dont let it get as bad as me..

at this point im pretty much a ghost. non-existent. a desolate wreck with no peace of mind.. im drifting nowhere with nothing but a cloudy road behind me.. and i feel like my times just about up..

..im sorry.. didnt mean for it to come out that way..

just try to accept yourself and move on. im sure you still have friends, acquaintances, something. hold on to that. find those that will accept you for who you are and hold on to that feeling. be strong. do what i couldnt.

So many people turn to medication first for the quick fix. Did you know that 30 minutes of high cardio exercise gives your brain the same affect that the antidepressants give you? I can't believe how true this is. Counseling, daily exercise and meditation have helped me GREATLY!!! Some days I have to force myself to exercise, I tell myself that this is for my overall well being and get up and do it!

So many people turn to medication first for the quick fix. Did you know that 30 minutes of high cardio exercise gives your brain the same affect that the antidepressants give you? I can't believe how true this is. Counseling, daily exercise and meditation have helped me GREATLY!!! Some days I have to force myself to exercise, I tell myself that this is for my overall well being and get up and do it!

All that helps but for a true clinical depression, medication is just about a necessity. No matter the emotional bootstraps a person with a clinical depression pulls on and up, very little happens without a combination therapeutic approach.

Yes, meditation and exercise and counseling are impressive therapy adjuncts, but not by themselves will they take care of a true clinical depression. Former psych nurse here.

Write a list of possible hobbies, and try all of them out. These hobbies/activities will help you gain some confidence back. Join a sports team, etc.

Bodybuilding/weight lifting is one thing that helps my confidence up...I know it's one thing I can always control and something that will always be there for me. I highly recommend you taking this route, but it's not for everyone.

Try to join some clubs...this will help you meet people. Acne sucks, but we won't have it forever (hopefully). Sometimes you just have to push yourself to be in social opportunities and people won't even care about your acne unless they're extremely stuck up. I know a few kids who have had pretty bad acne and still have plenty of friends, girlfriends, etc. Just sharpen up your social skills...if you have a really good personality and make others feel good from being around you, then everyone will love you despite acne.

I advise you to buy the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Even if you think you're too good for it, you should still get it. You'll learn quite a bit in my opinion. I could get you some cliffs of the book if you wanted, but it's still a good read and will take up some more time.

Just overall try to better yourself and not think about your acne for the most part. Always think positive. I hope this post helps. I actually put a lot of stuff in perspective for myself as well because I don't always practice what I preach, and I'd like to be a lot more confident on a daily basis as well.