Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just a quick question: Does fish oil make your skin oily? I have noticed since taking it my skin has become oily (even though I'm on low-dose accutane) and I have broken out (which is strange for me). I'm pretty sure it's do to the oil b/c they are all small comedo type lesions. Please advise :)

it made my skin 2x more oily and it broke me out pretty bad about a week after I started taking it...

it made my skin 2x more oily and it broke me out pretty bad about a week after I started taking it...

I'm glad it's not just me...there's not much info about it on the net

Hmmm I haven't noticed a difference. I'm not too oily or dry, although my T zone can get oily at times. I take Cod Liver Oil daily and definitely think it helps to keep me clear.

I think the brand of fish oil/cod liver oil you buy is just as important. I like Garden of Life Icelandic Cod Liver Oil.

PANIC

You might want to consider taking vitamin E along side your fish oil since the PUFA's in the fish oil need to be protected by vitamin E to stop them oxidizing. If they do oxidize your acne will get worse. I started taking vitamin E 400IU natural mixed tocopherols and my acne hasn't been this good in ages it could just be a coincidence but I will see in a few weeks ^^

"However, the requirement for vitamin E increases with higher intakes of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA)"

lat summer i tried fish oil. carlson's fish oil made my face oilier- then i broke out. i won't touch the stuff now. i just stick to eating wild caught salmon.

I read so much good stuff about Omega 3 fish oil but after a week of taking a moderate dosage i broke out worse and had to discontinue.

You might want to consider taking vitamin E along side your fish oil since the PUFA's in the fish oil need to be protected by vitamin E to stop them oxidizing. If they do oxidize your acne will get worse.

Taking vitamin E along with your cod liver oil obviously won't keep it from oxidizing as it sits in the bottle on your shelf! I recommend the following steps for cod liver oil, or any kind of fish oil supplements:

1) Buy only _liquid_ fish oil supplements, not capsules; there's no reliable way to add antioxidants to capsules.

2) Store the bottle in the refrigerator after you open it.

3) The moment you open the bottle for the first time, add some ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C) and BHT (powerful synthetic fat-soluble antioxidant) to the bottle.

4) Use the bottle up in a timely fashion; don't let it sit there for months on end, even if it's in the fridge, and protected by antioxidants.

Edited by bryan

I'm talking about when its inside the body assuming it hasn't already oxidized. A lot of fish oil capsule supplements have vitamin E added to them but it is only a small amount in most cases.

I'm talking about when its inside the body assuming it hasn't already oxidized.

That's a key assumption you're making there! :)

A lot of fish oil capsule supplements have vitamin E added to them but it is only a small amount in most cases.

I've seen some food and supplement companies actually put esterified forms of vitamin E (like alpha tocopherol acetate) in their products, apparently not understanding that vitamin E esters aren't antioxidants, and won't protect their products as they sit on the shelf. In any event, even REAL tocopherol isn't a particularly strong antioxidant. I certainly wouldn't trust it to protect fish oil.

A lot of fish oil capsule supplements have vitamin E added to them but it is only a small amount in most cases.

That's because they only add it as a preservative. Just to help keep it from going rancid so quickly. That's why it's found in the capsules and you don't have to keep them in the fridge.

That's because they only add it as a preservative. Just to help keep it from going rancid so quickly. That's why it's found in the capsules and you don't have to keep them in the fridge.

Just to drive this point home, because it's very important: tocopherol acetate isn't a preservative, and won't have any effect at keeping a product from going rancid (it will, however, become an antioxidant after you ingest it). Read the labels of your products carefully, and don't buy anything from a company that doesn't even know the difference between alpha tocopherol and alpha tocopherol acetate.