Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chicago scar face

22 year old male on accutane

History: I have been having acne for 6 years. Cystic acne that has been caused scaring on my cheeks. It is bad, i am both scared and excited for accutane, i hope this is the ending to my acne. My girl is afraid of me starting this medication , she thinks the depression part of it will make me breakup with her, and she says that my acne is not that bad but the cysts do not stop i have to do something about it

Things i have tried: ( that work for a short period of time )

Anti-biotics-minocycline, doxycycline etc etc

duac

tazorac

smoothbeam laser

photodynamic therapy with levulan

Dans Regiman (skin looked horrible while doing this, maybe alergic idk )

Side effects that i am afraid of

1. Initial Breakout ( i hope that comes soon and ends soon )

2. Dry Skin , flaking skin ( i had horrible flaking skin when on dans regiman and people would always ask what the f happend

3. Thining hair ( i already noticed this as im getting older !!!!!

I am starting the medicine tonight 40 mg, and increase to 80 mg after 1st month. One more thing is i have a second job interview on thursday so i hope my face does not flare up before then.

Currently i have 1 cyst that can be seen BUT IS NOT BAD i have had way way worse. The rest of the cysts cant be seen but i feel them under my scruff about 5 of them. I dont get small pimples just BIG CYSTS ! i cant wait to start and see some results

Good luck to you. There's lots of folks that just started, so you can check out our logs if you're looking for info. My condition sounds like yours: my face isnt covered in acne, but the spots I do get are deep and big, and hurt like a MFer. Im 12 days in and the IB is pretty bad.

I just started today too :)

A lot of my pimples are deep painful cysts that leave horrible red marks if I try to pop them. People tell me my skin does not look bad and I tell them that everything is deep underneath the skin so its hard for them to tell- but it hurts and its annoying to have these huge mountains growing on my face! lol

Good luck!

Btw I'm only on 10 mg for the first month and then possibly 40mg for my second. maybe i'll be able to give you more insight on whether starting out on a lower dose and gradually increasing can minimize the initial breakout (even though I didn't plan on it happening that way lol)

Prepare yourself for the IB. My face should be clear right now and would be if I wasn't on accutane. Just because I know how my face breaks out, and this is the one week out of the month that it would be clear. And it's not. But like Goodz said, just check out everyones logs and we are all here to help each other!

You will make it though the deep end with us!

Guest DireStraits

Good luck dude, im 22 as well. Time to get rid of acne for good.

About the IB, you may get it or you may be one of the fortunate ones who don't. If you do, just have a hobby or something to distract yourself from looking at your face during this period.

Let the accutane do its thing.

All the best, i'll be checking in on this log.

Edited by DireStraits

thanks for everyone for the support ! and good luck to you all as well... im actually going to start tommorrow they gave me problems are teh pharmecy today and told me that the doctor registered me on ipledge but need to confirm it? idk whatever

goodz- your on day 12 ? on what day did the IB start ?

ashley- i read that many teams on the board of starting off at a smaller dose but i feel like my dermatologist has his own way of doing things and i should just do what he suggests

onelittleone- thanks you !

breanna- ya im preparing my self. starting accutane now because i have 1 month off of college before summer school starts for me

direstraits- ya i will distract my self by going to the gym workin out, playin lil basketball ... probably at odd timings because everyone i know goes to my fitness club

one thing i am going to do to fight the IB is get cortisone shots periodically . those are the best thing on the planet but i can never get appointment to see the doctor the office staff are very rude

another thing has anyone tried using small amount BP and CLindamycin while on accutane for breakouts

my dermatologist said do as tolerated, and said becareful i will dry out and flake alot

I threw all my OTC meds when I got accutane, theres a reason that accutane is the last resort medication. If youre gonna do any kind of cardio exercise dbl the amount of water you drink :) . Dont worry about IB, its almost impossible to avoid, not trying to scare you but thats the way it is, as well with dryness especially on your lips, so better have some chapstick and aquaphor. All that said Good luck!

Don't be too afraid of the side effects! It scared me to death when I heard what some people went through but my treatment turned out so easy. I hope yours goes well too! ;)

my dermatologist won't let me get the cortisone shots while on accutane...i wish i could- those are the best! clindamycin dried out my skin so much when i WASN'T on accutane so i can't imagine using it in combination. just be careful you don't dry out your skin too much!

P.S. the only reason i'm on a smaller dose is because my bloodwork came back with high AST levels. otherwise my derm would have started me off high...which is what i wanted to begin with but oh well! lol

good luck!

Day 1: So its 1 am and i took my first pill and dont know why super nervous about it

the guy at the pharmecy asked if i tried everything before doing this ( little does he know ) anyway i took the pill and is it me or my stomach feeling a little uneasy! lol im not joking my stomach feels little queezy. anyway its prob me being worried

i am goin to continue using SMALL amount of BP and Clindamycin tonight until my face cant handle it... someone convince me not to and il second guess using it!

Hey hey.. it's cool to keep using your topicals for a bit till your skin tells you it won't tolerate them anymore. Not what your doc will tell you but speaking from experience I've done it without consequence. The mucous membranes tend to dry out first, I notice (lips mainly), and then the skin. Just monitor and see how you do!

Also - would you mind elaborating on your experience with Smoothbeam? I'm doing a series of those right now, as after my third course of Accutane (yea I've taken it 3 times..) I'm still getting breakouts. I've only had one so far and it made my skin CRAZY, but now things seem to be calming down. I'm likely going to stick with it but might go back on Accutane if I'm not getting good resolution.

Good luck! I am a Tane expert so don't by shy about asking questions!

Lisa

so about smooth beam i had about 5/6 treatments of that and during it i was on anti biotics so during the treament i wasnt getting to many breakouts but after all those treatments it had no effect on my acne because the acne fully returned anytime i got off the anti biotics. The one benifit from the smoothbeam was it decreased the amount of acne scars i had but not worth the 1500 dollars i spent on it because it never helped my acne. so i woudlnt suggest it but maybe it might effect you different hopefully

3 courses of accutane? i cant imagine. im hoping this is the end of it after this 1 course. if i have any questions i will ask thankyou. same goes to you !

Thanks a lot :). Yea I initially started Smoothbeam for some small breakouts and a few small scars.. it gave me a huge breakout after the first tx but things have settled down now so hopefully if I stick with it, it might give some noticeable results. I'm not on antibiotics at the moment (in my opinion, they are worse than Accutane, so I doubt I will go back on them).

And yup three courses - the drug is extremely effective for me (and for most people). I hope you also get great results from it, and that you only need one course!

day 3: So three days have gone by and i no new breakouts to report, i think the bp/clindamycin is keepin that from forming, no excessive drying to report. I hope it goes this smooth throughout the treatment but next time anything to report il update. i think its still early.

day 5

Making my update of taking accutane for the 5th time. So far no initial breakout or no new cysts and 1 pimple here n there which goes away.

No excessive dryness that i cant handle

Side effects

Im happy i got SOME side effects. knowing this pill is doing something to my body means its wokring right?

so far i had a bloody nose this morning and last night my eyes were blood shot red. i dont mind having this everyday honestly as long as my face does not flare up !

hey guys is it normal to not feel to many effects of teh drug by day 5 ?

day 6

my lower back is very very sore!!! i did play basketball ball yesterday for 2 hours so that might be the reason, BUT i usually do not get this sore. its like i did 100 deadlifts. i hope i dont get this sore all the time for the next 6 months bcuz it will effect my working out.

acne: no breakout at all. feeling good about that. i hope it doesnt hit me all at once.

dryness: not bad i did feel like my face was hot and burning when playing basketball and when i scratched my face skin did come off

hope this is all normal ...

day 7

still no breakout , no new pimples, just 1 old cyst under my beard

face gets dry in morning after shower but through out the day gets oily more than usual

played basketball yesterday even though my back was very sore , i didnt feel it while i was playing just after which is good

im 180 pounds maybe 40 mg is to less for me to feel effects, i hope i dont get the breakouts when the derm increases my dosage

day 8

face dryness:Oh so i finally started gettin excessive dry skin, its flaking, i was scratching my face then later when i was infront of a miror i saw the flakes come out, the type i had when i was on Dans regimian, i am going to go and put moisturizer on with joaba oil, im not stressing to much about this YET

dry lips: they get dry now, especially during basketball, i would keep having to whipe my mouth and skin would be falling off. but still no big deal.

Acne: no new pimples no cysts no breakouts since day 1 on accutane... remember im using small amount of BP & clindamycin as well... THIS IS the most important thing to me il take all the other side effects.

emotions I feel fine after week 1, my girlfriend on the other hand is like an emotional roller coaster everyday! and im the one on accutane lol

day 10

face acne: acne wise i recieved 1 small white head pimple nothing major, oh ya my old cyst on my face start leaking, and no i didnt pop it, but once some puss started coming out i started squeezing n squeezing, i didnt get alot out and it got so swollen and the night and i was worried, but by the next day the swelling went down, its ssmaller but it is still there

face dryness: its not that bad little dryness but nothing moisturizer cant take care of

Lips: lips are getting very dry now, and the sides of my mouth are like cracking...

side effects not bad, very happy i have not recieving new pimples... i hope its this smooth throughout the treatment

day 12

face: i finnaly got 2 new active pimples, 1 huge cyst on my cheek and 1 pimple on my upper cheek, the cyst on my cheek is not inflamed or red or anything just a huge bump under my skin.

i hope this is not the start of more cysts to come this would suck so much

other side effects: very dry lips now, have to put on aquaphmore often, not to much facial dry skin, and i have been going through nose bleed frequently

im so upset im getting cysts i hope this is not the start of my initial breakout

hey dude, i am on my 7th day so we are pretty close to eachother, sounds like you have been fairly fortunate with ur IB. i hate to say it but ur IB may be coming right now. But i am no expert at all i am just guesing from reading other peoples logs haha.. i have been breaking out moderatly since being on accutane, so its wierd that u had little breakout untill now.. anyway good luck with ur journey i wish u the best, u should check out my log if you want haha.. o yeah, i am curious what is ur dosage per day? i am on 40mg for the first month, but i am not that big of a person haha.. good luck :cool:

Guest DireStraits

Yeah it kinda sound like your getting your IB, sorry to hear that.

What convinced me i was going through an IB was that i was getting breakouts in places i'd never get pimples before.

That... and my face was a bit more red.

Hang tough buddy.