Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have struggled with mild to moderate body/face acne for quite some time now. Severe cystic acne runs very strongly in my family, and my father and both my siblings had to go on accutane. I have been on many different types of antibiotics and just about every topical cream out there with no avail. Although my acne is not near as bad as a lot of peoples, it really bothers me. I always considered it a fact of life that I would have to go on accutane eventually, as so many of my relatives had and it was apparent that I had acne prone skin. So on my last visit to the dermatologist, accutane was brought up and without hesitation my dermatologist wrote me a script. I was still very hesitant, as I am young (14) and my acne is not super severe. Also, I have heard of the common side effect of joint pain on accutane, and I am an avid long distance runner who recently was out due to acl reconstruction surgery. I would be very upset if anything came in the way of my career as an athlete, but my skin is only getting worse, and I am running out of options. It seems as though the odds are against me considering I have so many reasons NOT to go on it, but Im kind of in the why wait mindset. I have had many friends around 13-14 with similar skin to mine go on accutane with no problem, but I also had a friend who was 16 with SEVERE acne who had a SEVERE reaction to the medicine and now has arthritis problems at a very young age. I started the accutane today, but I plan to stop immediately if I have any side effects other than the usual dry lips, skin, ect. I was just looking for intake and support or similar stories. Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post!

Hi! I know the feeling. I was terrified of starting Accutane. I had done a lot of research online, which helped a lot, but also led to me to all the negative posts regarding this drug. There are very serious risks associated with taking this medication, but I believe that if you pay attention to your body during treatment, it will be okay. I also believe you should start at a lower dosage to see how your body reacts.

My main concern is your age (14) and the POSSIBLE risk of premature epiphyseal closure. I am not a doctor or a medical professional, but there is information the suggests high doses of Accutane can essentially "stunt" growth. I had already stopped growing prior to Accutane so that was not a concern of mine.

If your acne is not severe yet, I would closely monitor your skin for scarring. If it starts to scar and/or the acne is getting worse, I would consider Accutane.

These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Thats exactly how I feel! I see your concern about accutane "stunting" my growth, although I forgot to mention that i'm very "developed" for my age. At 5'6 I believe I may still have a few more inches to put on, considering my feet are a womens 10, but im pretty much done with my major growthspurts. The number one reason I wanted to begin accutane was because I have pretty severe scarring already on my back, and though my face has been so far spared, save a few dark spots, I know it is next . I seem to scar very easily, and it is not due to "picking." My father and brothers also scarred severely, so i assume it too runs in the family.

It's definitley a tough decision to make, but I'll tell you what if I could go back in time to when I was 14 I would find myself and yell right in my face "TAKE ACCUTANE". Back then my acne was mild to moderate, and I used all the antibiotics and creams and such, thinking I would soon grow out of it, but I am now 21 and it is worse than ever. I just decided to take accutane a month ago, I'm on my second right now, and it has been working pretty well so far for the regular pimples, but not for the cysts. Then again, it's only been two months so I really didn't expect miracles just yet. I guess my main point is that if I had done this at your age I could have POSSIBLY saved myself 7 years of dealing with this nasty disease. I say possibly because I don't know if it would have or not, but you never know until you try.

Hey I understand your standpoint totally, as I had acne through middle school and through high school only moderate though, nothing make up couldn't cover up and hide but inside I was MISERABLE. I kept trying to find other solutions, but at 17 I finally went on accutane. I'm still in the process, but personally I would've waited a little longer if I were in your position.

My doctor told me that most of his patients were 14-15 and most of them at a relapse at 18 because they went on it so young. But for the running, I too run on xc and track and it hasn't affected me too badly at all so don't worry so much just keep your calcium intake regular. But I have faith that you won't relapse and your course will go fine. And say you did relapse, you could always take it again, it's pretty common at lease you will know that you will be clear through your teenage life right :) So yeah just some of my opinions GOOD LUCK!

I would definitely wait if i were you until about 17/18. This is a really serious drug and you don't want it to interfere with your growth/maturing process. Plus accutane makes your skin scar easier so it might workout even worse for you. Go back on antibiotics if you want the relief.