Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had a question regarding my daily regimen. I have just finished my first round of proactive, and it has definitely helped prevent and get rid of my larger whiteheads. However, I am a high school aged swimmer who practices twice a day in the summer. With the acne I have left, the chlorine still irritates it. I was talking to a Proactive consultant, and he suggested his (expense) products or any other salicylic acid pads that I could wipe the chlorine off with. I am currently using Stridex Alcohol Free Pads, containing 2% salicylic acid. Problem is I needed a moisturizer, so I got a medicated one, but it also contains 0.5% salicylic acid (Clean and Clear Oil Free Dual Action Moisturizer). Is this too much Salicylic Acid?? If so, what moisturizer would you recommend?? Thanks! (:

Using Salicylic Acid products and BP products at the same time can be overly irritating and actually may make acne worse, especially if you're saying that the combination of ProActiv and chlorinated water is already irritating your skin.

I'd suggest using a mild, non-medicated cleanser and a non-medicated moisturizer after swimming instead of SA products.

There's a list of good products available here. (These products are recommended for Acne.org regimen users, but are great for anyone with acne. Since you're on ProActiv, you can ignore the BP products, but the lists of cleansers and moisturizers might come in handy.)

Using Salicylic Acid products and BP products at the same time can be overly irritating and actually may make acne worse, especially if you're saying that the combination of ProActiv and chlorinated water is already irritating your skin.

I'd suggest using a mild, non-medicated cleanser and a non-medicated moisturizer after swimming instead of SA products.

There's a list of good products available here. (These products are recommended for Acne.org regimen users, but are great for anyone with acne. Since you're on ProActiv, you can ignore the BP products, but the lists of cleansers and moisturizers might come in handy.)

Thank you! - but here's the thing. Aren't you only supposed to cleanse your face twice a day? The sales clerk recommended the salicylic acid pads to me as an alternative to a cleanser plus it removes the chlorine. I'm still new to this so I'm willing to try anything, definitely get a different moisturizer, but as for after practice...?

Thank you! - but here's the thing. Aren't you only supposed to cleanse your face twice a day? The sales clerk recommended the salicylic acid pads to me as an alternative to a cleanser plus it removes the chlorine. I'm still new to this so I'm willing to try anything, definitely get a different moisturizer, but as for after practice...?

You can simply rinse in water after practice. Use a gentle cleanser if you feel you need to to get all the chlorine off. That's what I did when I had practice twice a day. :P Also moisturized after each swim/cleanse routine and that helped stave off the irritation and dryness.

I'd definitely stay away from salicylic acid to rinse off the chlorine! OUCH.