Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cool-n-confused

Are my scars getting worse?

Hmm. They don't look worse to me. Retin A takes awhile to see the results... how long have you been using it so far?

I have been using it for 8 months. But those before and after pictures are from like 1 month apart...around. the first picture of the "after" section is the one i took today.

I have been using it to control my acne. I think it is getting undercontrol now but now i am worried about scars. Even tho I dont have big pimples comming out now....I am still seeing that i am developing new scars... i dont know how I dont know why. I used BP once for spot treatment the other day and it burned so much on my skin and then there was a scar...i think its because the retin a has thinned my skin so much that its too sensitive for BP.

I just cant stand my skin getting worse....

Edited by cool-n-confused

will my skin improve more with retin a?

and trust me, these pictures dont do justice. Today when I applied a moisturizer with spf in the morning... my skin looked very oily and wow you could see all the small icepick scars that are on both sides of my cheeks. It looked so nasty that I am afraid that If I go outside on a sunny day (summer is comming up) and i start sweating...my face will look horrible. When its dry is when it looks its best.

Is that the same with everyone else? Oily/shiney skin makes scars look so much bad.

when the small icepick scars are dry, it just looks like large pores on my face... which isnt that bad since im a guy but when its shiney is when it looks horrible. Do you think retin a will fix these small icepicks? (u cant see them in the picture...well u can barely see them.)

Also I really cant afford another big scar. I have like 4 or 5 big scars on my face and it is starting to look really bad. I didnt mind 1 or 2 but now its getting even bad.

Honestly, your skin looks fine. You have some tiny scars, that's all. With time the Retin A might indeed help them but that requires at least a year and then continuing use of the Retinoid.

Realize though that you've taken some of those photos in pretty bad lighting so it's really difficult to compare the before/after. I see almost no difference, really. It's possible though that the retinoid has prevented the present scars from remodeling themselves into something worse. From what I've read about wound healing (this applies to acne scars as well!), it takes a full year for the final scar to develop. It is constantly remodeling during that time. So applying something that boosts collagen and plumps up the lower layer of skin (like Retin A) makes great sense in helping prevent worsened scars during that crucial year of scar formation.

your scars are not that bad...honestly. I would love to have my skin be like yours.

Actually my skin on my left cheek is similar to yours and I consider it almost flawless...I jus thave small tiny enlarged pores on that side... It is my right side where I have rolling scars and uneven pigment and that is where my problems lie. Anyways you want answers...so I'll do my best to help you.

First off don't ever do any serious scar treatments for your types of scars because they are so MINOR.

The only thing I would ever even consider doing is some minor TCA Cross where they prick the enlarged pores or ice picks with the solution and it takes a week to heal and slowly fill in.

As far as retin A, I am on tazorac which is different so I cannot comment on use of it.

However Retin A and any Retinoid is a long process. By long I mean 1-2 years of use. Your skin will probably look a little different due to retin A and that is because of the pigment adjusting to the renewal of your skin.

Some argue of a thinning or peeling of the skin through use of a retinoid which can reveal scarring underneath your skin...and that may very well be possible or that may be the start of the healing process.

I suggest you consult with a doc.

I will reiterate, I know you probably think your skin pictures don't do it true justice and to be honest it probably doesn't completely (I know because when I would take pictures on a digital camera and put them on my computer...they would look bad in the lcd screen on the camera but on the computer when enlarged for some reason didn't look nearly as bad)

But I can tell what kind of skin you have and for the most part your skin looks great... Trust me. Continue taking care of your acne.

I know all of you guys think my skin looks great but i think its only because you guys all have skin that is worse right?

Most of the people in the world have smooth skin dont you think they wud notice that my skin is scareddup.

Almost all my friends have smooth scarless skin , its hard to find somone who has skin with scars. theres like what... 4 ppl in my whole grade that I can think of right now that has acne scaring.

Will all this dark pigmentation (where the scars are) go away?

It is my right side where I have rolling scars and uneven pigment
Edited by cool-n-confused

Look from your pictures it really doesn't look like you have any major scarring.

I am talking minor here. Not only that your skin is darker so it's even less noticeable.

You're right a lot of people don't have scarring. A lot don't and there is a higher percentage that do than you would think. A lot of celebrities have had skin issues too.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there. I would go see a couple dermatologists and make sure your skin regimen is the proper one for your skin type.

I would ask questions about Retin A making it worse. Send me a PM with what you find out.

I posted what I think of retinoids.

As far as dot scars or enlarged pores or ice picks you can have TCA Cross whichwill fill in the scars. Get a good derm to perform this. That is my best advice.

But yes people here have worse scarring...some of them much worse. That probably won't make you change your idea of yourself for a long time...but your scarring is honestly not noticeable at all. I am sorry but it's true mate. Maybe it looks slightly worse in person but based on the pics I can't see your scars being bad at all. Just my opinion. Honestly based on the pics you are overreacting over nothing.

i can't see your scaring, dude really your skins looking good, the pictures all look the same to me really, goodluck anyways.

Edited by o_Adam_o