Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paparazzi25

Can Accutane be prescribed by a doctor? (instead of a dermatologist)

I've been going to the dermatologist since I was 11 for my acne (I am now 15) and through all the stuff she has prescribed for me like Ziana, Doryx pills, Differin, Retin-A, Epiduo, Differin... you name it, along the way I found out TRAGICALLY I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide. So I can't use Dan's Regimen which completely upsets me seeing how many great results it has given. Anyways, my dermatologist about a month ago talked about a half hour about Accutane with its side effects and all. (I was with my mom) and we both had a clear understanding of the medicine and its side effects so we signed and later showed it to my dad,,, and when he read that pamphlet IT COMPLETELY SCARED HIM and he refused to have me take it... My dad has this strange thing about not trusting dermatologist, I don't understand completely why... So he wants to talk to a doctor (NOT a dermatologist) about isotretinoin because for some reason he trust them more. So can a doctor perscribe it?

Your dad is saving your life and sanity by having you not get on this drug. Taking this @ 15 will be one of the biggest regrets of your life, acne > hair loss. Why even gamble?!

Edited by SClippers

Since you're in the US, a family physician can only prescribe it if he or she is registered with iPledge.

I would think hard about making this decision.

Forget acne>hair loss. That's minor compared to potentially ruining your growth plates by taking this drug at such a young age.