Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

-Background

I know there are just about a million diary type posts on this forum, but I just couldn't resist myself. I have been picking at my pimples since I started getting them in middle school. I don't necessarily have bad acne, but i do have a light/moderate case that gets increasingly worse when my picking habit intervenes. I have a slight OCD problem and always want things to look a certain way and for the most part I can achieve this, but when it comes to my skin, I fail miserably. I somehow have worked myself into believing that picking at every bump, pore, and nonexistent blemish will make everything better ... and it does at first because while I am picking I am not worrying about anything. I just kind of zone out, all the while thinking to myself that I "shouldn't be doing this." But, I still sit there and pick through every blemish.

-Current

What made me start this "journal" is that I picked my face tonight. I didn't gash my face up like I have done in the past, but I did overdo it. I haven't picked for a few days and my skin was getting clearer, but a hurtful pimple popped up on my chin and I had to go at it and in return I got a full picked on face. At the beginning of summer, I decided to start a new face routine, so I went to the store and picked up a Neutrogena face wash with salicylic acid in it and stuck to the routine. (In the past I have mainly stuck to benzoyl peroxide) I loved the way it made my face feel, but I didn't react well to the salicylic acid and ended up breaking out horribly. I looked awful and all I wanted to do was hide in my room behind a layer of makeup. So I quit using it and have been using just water and "the dip" method where you keep your face in the water. I also use face wipes for makeup removal and aloe vera gel. It has been working wonders but probably because my face has just been in such shock from all of the products and it needs some calming time. It is kind of funny how I am talking about my face as if it were person.

-The Verdict

I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop the picking at once! It is not going to help my face or my confidence. I hope writing it down will make me stick with it. I want to break my habit once and for all! Starting tomorrow I will write about my progress during the day :)

Join me to stop picking :) Any tips and suggestions are appreciated !!

I somehow have worked myself into believing that picking at every bump, pore, and nonexistent blemish will make everything better ... and it does at first because while I am picking I am not worrying about anything. I just kind of zone out, all the while thinking to myself that I "shouldn't be doing this." But, I still sit there and pick through every blemish.

Wow, I'm in the exact same boat. I rarely have inflamed acne but as soon as I see something that could POSSIBLY be construed as an imperfection, I go crazy and screw up my entire face.

I need to stop picking as well. I think I will join you! I'm going to start the Chill Out program. I fucked up my nose earlier this evening and it's such a vicious cycle - I feel like shit, so I pick, then I feel even worse because my skin is damaged, then while it's healing I pick again to "make it go faster". Damn it.

I wish you luck. Some of the tips I've come across that seem the most helpful to me are painting my nails, and washing my face in the dark, so I think I'll try that. Recently I've started smoking more, so I might go out and have a cigarette when I'm feeling like I'm about to pick, but since that is a stupid and worthless habit, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone :]

Picking ends here! Good luck. We will feel so much better when we break this habit.

-Day 1

When I woke up in the morning, my face was not as scary as I thought it would be since I had picked at it last night. Since there really weren't any new blemishes, I did not feel the urge to pick. So I went on through my day. I noticed something today though. I unintentionally touch my face. I will be just sitting around, watching the TV or at the computer and I will touch my face. So, tomorrow's goal is to try to keep my hands busy while I am not super busy.

During the middle of the day I did crack a bit and ended up popping a couple of whiteheads that had appeared overnight. They weren't that big either, but I still felt like they needed to go.

And then at night, which is now, I just washed my face and tried not to look in the mirror. It worked well. What also helped is that I don't wear my contacts since I am getting ready for bed. So my vision is horrible and if I stand back far enough from the mirror, my skin looks wonderful. If only this were true when I had my contacts/glasses in!

So today was pretty good. I didn't expect to just suddenly stop picking anyway. I figured that it would be a struggle and boy it was. I had to stop myself a few times when I was headed for the bathroom mirror.

Miss Kitty- Thank you for the tips! I washed my face in the dark in the morning and it helped. I hope we can both break this unsightly habit!

Omgsh! Please don't pick. Take a look at my pics (inside my AcneScript log). I used to pick so much! And now I have terrible scarring everywhere! And it looks even worse than the acne. Not to mention everytime I pick, it looks better until like 2 or 3 days later and then I get like a billion little zits in the same place. :(