Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jake978

Will it fit my lifestyle?

Hey everyone,

I was looking into the acne.org treatment and I was wondering if it would be for me, I am in the military, I hike, and I am always outdoors. I want to try accutane but I am worried about the side effects on my joints and bones. I dont know which direction to go on this.

please help

Thanks

I tried Accutane when I was in my early twenties, and I had a bit of joint pain with it. I also had super chapped lips (which is a minor condition, but still...) I took it for 6 months but my acne came back some time later when I started eating poorly again. My dermatologist had always told me diet never played any role in acne, but when I got my first bottle of Accutane it came with a long list saying what foods I should avoid eating (ie. dairy and chocolate) and which I should start eating (ie fruits and vegetables). So now, I just stick to a good diet and the acne clears up after about 3 months. Google "australian study" with "acne" and you'll see a study linking diet with acne, and how a group of men on a low GI diet got clearer skin after 12 weeks.

The best foods I've learned that help with acne are:

apples (the pectin in them is good for the skin, I'd recommend eating 2-3 a day to start with, if you're not allergic to them)

cabbage (the sulphur in them is really good for the body)

carrots

broccolli

whole wheat rye bread

other fruits and vegetables, though I've learned for myself that oranges break me out as well as potatoes. I've also heard that people can break out from bananas, kiwis, pineapples, and peaches, but it's really up to you to figure out which ones are safest to eat...to start, I just assume most are and go from there

I know some people can break out from wheat or be allergic to it, but it doesn't break me out personally, so I listed it here. Following an acne free diet can be tough but it's far less expensive than a dermatologist and won't cause the harsh side effects that medications might.

I'm not sure how common this side effect is, but one of my brothers blamed it for some hair loss (although my other brother retained most of his hair).

So it's something to consider.

Best of luck to you :)

Hey everyone,

I was looking into the acne.org treatment and I was wondering if it would be for me, I am in the military, I hike, and I am always outdoors. I want to try accutane but I am worried about the side effects on my joints and bones. I dont know which direction to go on this.

please help

Thanks

You might be better off trying the acne.org regimen first. You could definitely fit the regimen into your day.

Accutane really is a last resort; it can have deleterious effects on the bones, joints, skin and increases photosensitivity (you know all that, I'm just saying it again!) and may interfere with your active lifestyle.

xena, that list of foods when you got Accutane must have come from the pharmacist or maybe even a pharmacy technician. The only dietary mentions in the Accutane literature mention taking the capsule with a high fat meal to ensure proper absorption.

Hello-

You sound like someone who is dedicated, being in the military. That's really the most important part of the regimen, is dedication on the part of yourself.

Anyone reading this ever done the regimen while on a camping trip without facilities? I guess as long as you have clean water to wash your face with, it would be possible to do the regimen outdoors as well. Just make sure to wear sunscreen since BP makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight.

You also don't need to follow the regimen exactly, if you're in a pinch (aka hiking up and down some mountains without running water or something.) I often just slap on the BP as I'm walking to school. The cool thing about BP is that it helps in any quantity..it just works best if you follow dan's regimen.

You can still do the regimen and make it pretty effective. I've gone on mission trips with my church, and the places we've stayed at have been, well, pretty shady, but I was still able to do at least most of the regimen and it kept on preventing acne. you might have to adjust thing, like i had to shorten the amount of time in between when putting on BP and putting on moisturizer, and sometimes i had to just forget about the water+cleanser part of the regimen and just go straight for the BP, but it still becomes relatively effective and should still fit in your lifestyle.