Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
})({amber

nervous about spiro

Ok so just picked up my prescription from Walmart cost $18 for two months. And when I got home my mom and sister freaked out. They don't want me to take it. I wasn't gonna start taking it until next week after I finish my last week of my bcp for the month so that I can take them both at the same time.

I am a little worried about taking a medicine that can make my blood pressure drop because sometimes I get lightheaded as it is. But I want to take it and I'll just have to be careful. But how can I make my family stop stressing about it so much? Their solution is that I shouldn't do anything -_- cause my face will "probably" clear on its own even though its been at least 6 years since I've suffered with it.

Any advice?

How old are you and how much are you taking? I'd say if you're over 18 it's OK to take. Not sure about under 18. I was scared to take it at first, but I was so glad I did. The first few weeks I did notice dehydration, leg cramping, and some tiredness, but nothing that impacted my day to day activities. Now I'm 4 months into it and doing well. I still have to drink tons of water, but that's the only symptom I have. You do need to make sure you get your Potassium levels tested to make sure they aren't too high. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but good luck!

How old are you and how much are you taking? I'd say if you're over 18 it's OK to take. Not sure about under 18. I was scared to take it at first, but I was so glad I did. The first few weeks I did notice dehydration, leg cramping, and some tiredness, but nothing that impacted my day to day activities. Now I'm 4 months into it and doing well. I still have to drink tons of water, but that's the only symptom I have. You do need to make sure you get your Potassium levels tested to make sure they aren't too high. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but good luck!

All of this.

Perhaps ask them to come here and read the spiro success stories to help alleviate their fears?

To reiterate: drink water! That alone will help prevent the orthostatic hypotension. The doctor who prescribed the spiro can order your blood tests. Like I'd said, a basic metabolic panel should be more than sufficient and it wouldn't need to be done too terribly often.

What specifically are their concerns? You might be able to put them at ease by researching and printing out materials about the drug, its safety, and its effectiveness in treating hormonal acne. I agree that showing them reviews and success stories from this site might also be helpful. From what I've seen, most people's side effects are mild, and I personally haven't had any to speak of (I've been on 50 mg daily for 2 1/2 weeks). Also, the blood tests that everyone have suggested are probably a good idea, too, but my dermatologist told me that studies have shown it isn't necessary.

I'll be 21 in November but they act like I'm 10, and my doctor started me off at 25 once a day.

They are worried about the fact that its for blood pressure not acne, so they think its gonna kill me or something -_- so I think I'll definitely take everyones advice and show the articles and this forum :) thanks!!

Doctors are more and more prescribing spiro for acne. It's not at all uncommon.

First, it was an off-label use, now it's gaining more and more popularity.

When Retin A first came out it was only indicated for acne but patients and doctors noticed how well it works for wrinkles so doctors began prescribing it off-label for wrinkles. Doctors are allowed to prescribe things off-label because they have 16+ years of education in chemistry, medication, biology, etc and can in general make rational deductions on efficacy and merit of some meds for various conditions.

Just do a search for 'spironolactone +acne' on the search engine of your choice. Show the results to your mom. It's understandable that she's concerned, you're her daughter and she wants the best for you, and not to have side effects. :)

Your mom will still be advising you when you're in your 50s, 60s, maybe even in your 70's. My grandfather is in his late 90s and still advises my mother. :P

Hi AmberNicole,

I am "much older", but have been on spiro plus bactrim for albout 2 1/2 months. I had been having significant breakouts....red, painful, under-the-skin bumps...primarily around my mouth and chin. The dermatologist I had gone to for many years would just take a quick look and hand me a new prescription to try during each new visit (I think I tried them all!). I finally went to someone else. He said "this is hormonal and you will be cleared up in 6 weeks". I began taking the spiro/bactrim and noticed improvement almost immediately. My skin is 100% clear at this point. It has done wonders. I have been fine on the spiro (question for everyone else taking this....has anyone lost weight on this drug???? I have!). I spoke with the pharmacist prior to taking it and he assured me that it was very safe. I agree that one would have concerns taking a blood pressure medicine. I also spoke with my brother-in-law, who is a cardiologist. He said that it is a safe, proven drug that can be used long-term....and has been around for a long time. He also said that it generally does not lower blood pressure, when it does not need to be lowered, by the person taking the drug. Good luck with your decision and outcome!!

Hi AmberNicole,

I am "much older", but have been on spiro plus bactrim for albout 2 1/2 months. I had been having significant breakouts....red, painful, under-the-skin bumps...primarily around my mouth and chin. The dermatologist I had gone to for many years would just take a quick look and hand me a new prescription to try during each new visit (I think I tried them all!). I finally went to someone else. He said "this is hormonal and you will be cleared up in 6 weeks". I began taking the spiro/bactrim and noticed improvement almost immediately. My skin is 100% clear at this point. It has done wonders. I have been fine on the spiro (question for everyone else taking this....has anyone lost weight on this drug???? I have!). I spoke with the pharmacist prior to taking it and he assured me that it was very safe. I agree that one would have concerns taking a blood pressure medicine. I also spoke with my brother-in-law, who is a cardiologist. He said that it is a safe, proven drug that can be used long-term....and has been around for a long time. He also said that it generally does not lower blood pressure, when it does not need to be lowered, by the person taking the drug. Good luck with your decision and outcome!!

Thank you! I've only been to one derm before and he never spent more than 2 mins in the room with me or bothered to answer my questions but because of the type of insurance I had at the time he was the only one I could see and it was a huge hassle to try and change doctors...the only benefit I had from there was this light treatment and cold treatment the nurse did on my face cause my redmarks healed quickly. I mostly breakout around my chin/jawline so I'm hoping it'll help me!

AmberNicole,

Just found this post that also states that the spiro shouldn't lower your blood pressure : )

Group: Veteran Members

I am on 50mg twice a day right now - so a total of 100mg daily. My derm said he may bump me up to 200mg daily in 3 months...I wonder if he would do this if I was clear on 100mg?

theresasix ~ I've only been on Spiro for 3 weeks and am already seeing great results. I haven't been on it long enough to comment on the irregular period thing, but it definitely disrupted my normal cycle last month. I started taking it a week before my period would normally start, and instead I ended up having my period THAT day and all through the week. It was weird because I was still taking the pill during that whole time and so instead of taking a week off from the pill I decided to just go right into the next pack. To be honest, I don't know exactly how Spiro works. I have done some brief searches on the net about it, but have only found out how it works for blood pressure. Any articles people have on it would be interesting to read, for our own knowledge

Pankins ~ So awesome to hear your results! I hope by the end of my 3rd month that I will be as clear as you are! Right now my breakouts have greatly diminished, and less oil.

EDIT:::: Just found this ~ Oral spironolactone is a steroidal antiandrogen that prevents excessive oil production by blocking androgen receptors. Spironolactone also decreases androgen production in both the ovaries and adrenal glands, resulting in fewer flares. In order to decrease spironolactone's side effects, which include breast tenderness and menstrual irregularities, it is usually given in conjunction with oral contraceptives.

Spironolactone is an antihypertensive (anti high blood pressure) drug with a very long history of overall safety. It does not affect the blood pressure of those whose blood pressure is normal. ----I was wondering about that! ------------

New to Spironolactone? Come join the Spironolactone Information and Experiences Thread!

Check out my Spironolactone/Tazorac progress!!

My Routine Morning: Aveeno Scrub Eucerin Skin Renewal. Evening: Cetaphil Bar, Cetaphil Lotion

und this post that also states that spiro shouln't lower your blood pressure : )

AmberNicole,

Just found this post that also states that the spiro shouldn't lower your blood pressure : )

Group: Veteran Members

I am on 50mg twice a day right now - so a total of 100mg daily. My derm said he may bump me up to 200mg daily in 3 months...I wonder if he would do this if I was clear on 100mg?

theresasix ~ I've only been on Spiro for 3 weeks and am already seeing great results. I haven't been on it long enough to comment on the irregular period thing, but it definitely disrupted my normal cycle last month. I started taking it a week before my period would normally start, and instead I ended up having my period THAT day and all through the week. It was weird because I was still taking the pill during that whole time and so instead of taking a week off from the pill I decided to just go right into the next pack. To be honest, I don't know exactly how Spiro works. I have done some brief searches on the net about it, but have only found out how it works for blood pressure. Any articles people have on it would be interesting to read, for our own knowledge

Pankins ~ So awesome to hear your results! I hope by the end of my 3rd month that I will be as clear as you are! Right now my breakouts have greatly diminished, and less oil.

EDIT:::: Just found this ~ Oral spironolactone is a steroidal antiandrogen that prevents excessive oil production by blocking androgen receptors. Spironolactone also decreases androgen production in both the ovaries and adrenal glands, resulting in fewer flares. In order to decrease spironolactone's side effects, which include breast tenderness and menstrual irregularities, it is usually given in conjunction with oral contraceptives.

Spironolactone is an antihypertensive (anti high blood pressure) drug with a very long history of overall safety. It does not affect the blood pressure of those whose blood pressure is normal. ----I was wondering about that! ------------

New to Spironolactone? Come join the Spironolactone Information and Experiences Thread!

Check out my Spironolactone/Tazorac progress!!

My Routine Morning: Aveeno Scrub Eucerin Skin Renewal. Evening: Cetaphil Bar, Cetaphil Lotion

und this post that also states that spiro shouln't lower your blood pressure : )

Thank you!! I'll still be careful just in case it does! I already told my friend that I'm gonna need him to drive me around for a little while (until I see how it effects me) the other thing I'm worried about is the whole high potassium level thing because I'm on YAZ which already is suppose to increase the potassium in my body, but I'll just have to watch what I eat and get regular blood work up so I'm really not as nervous anymore :) Thanks everyone!