Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi acne.org.

Yesterday while at the health store I picked up a box of roobois tea, because I've read about it's health benefits:

"Pronounced "roy-boss" and means "red bush" in Afrikaans. Studies have shown this tea is comparable to green tea in the amounts of polyphenols it contains. It shows anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral activity.

Rooibos is totally pure and natural. It contains no colorants or preservatives.

Rooibos helps delay the aging process! The aging of our bodies is caused by toxic compounds called free radicals which are produced as a by-product of normal cell function. These free radicals attack our healthy cells. Over our lifetime this damage contributes to aging and our immune system weakens. Recently, Japanese scientists have found that Rooibos tea contains a mimic of the enzyme Super Oxide Dismutase (S.O.D.), an antioxidant which attacks the free radicals and limits their damaging effects."

-savannahimports.com/health.htm (I struggle with links)

It also said that all teas contain flouride, which is something I've been avoiding to see if that has anything to do with my breakouts, though it hasn't been long enough to tell. I use flouride free toothpaste and drink only bottled water, which should drastically decrease my flouride intake, but now I'm worried about this tea, which seemed so wonderful until I read that! Has anyone else used this tea, or any sort of tea (natural, organic, not crappy stuff), and had breakouts that can be attributed to it? I'm thinking the benefits may override the fact that it has some flouride, but I can't be sure.

Thanks

Flouride is not bad for you in the amounts you'd be getting. If you're not using tap water then fluoride from tea only should be just fine.

I would try to find the source of the fluoride in the tea. Does it come in a naturally occurring form in nature? Or is it the sludge that is considered a waste products from the refineries in Florida that sell it as a health miracle to tooth paste companies?

The source matters... :dance:

Btw, I do not think your acne is triggered by Fluoride (as much as I would love to agree with you ;) because in the many years I have browsed this forum no one has ever found likewise.

Most people eventually discover that their acne is triggered by LARGE doses of foods they eat on a daily basis. 90% of food sensitivities are dairy, soy, nuts, yeast, gluten, eggs or citrus (I might be forgetting one!). 40% of the time, people discover dairy is the main culprit of their acne.

So, have you tried eliminating several of these foods for 1 month to see if you fall in the 90% of food sensitivities?

Edited by Dotty1

Thanks a lot for the answers. I was hoping the tea would be ok because it tastes good and it seems like it would be so helpful. Yes I have effectively eliminated all grains, dairy, and sugars for about 1 month, and I am breaking out a lot less. I do however eat citrus in the form of grapefruit and nuts in the form of organic almond butter, raw, organic walnuts, and almond milk. Other than that it's all fruits and veggies, with the occasional fish (perch or haddock), and free range chicken. Note that I have "relapsed" a few times in the past month. Meaning, there were times where I binged on some sour patch kids or ate a few pieces of pizza, but I'm still breaking out A LOT less then before, and the big zits are all healing and just becoming red marks (knock on wood).

Thanks a lot for the answers. I was hoping the tea would be ok because it tastes good and it seems like it would be so helpful. Yes I have effectively eliminated all grains, dairy, and sugars for about 1 month, and I am breaking out a lot less. I do however eat citrus in the form of grapefruit and nuts in the form of organic almond butter, raw, organic walnuts, and almond milk. Other than that it's all fruits and veggies, with the occasional fish (perch or haddock), and free range chicken. Note that I have "relapsed" a few times in the past month. Meaning, there were times where I binged on some sour patch kids or ate a few pieces of pizza, but I'm still breaking out A LOT less then before, and the big zits are all healing and just becoming red marks (knock on wood).

I would eliminate the citrus for 1-2 weeks. Citrus is such a common cause of acne on here. We never quite realize how much citrus foods play a role in our daily dietary habits until we consciously cut them out.

So, try eliminating these foods for two weeks:

Tomatoes

Pineapple

Grapefruit

Oranges

Lemons

Limes

Tangerines

Strawberries (?)

And some berries

(I would try eliminating the all acidic foods just to be absolutely positive).

Edited by Dotty1

I forgot to mention that some canned sodas have lots of citric acid in them, so be aware of that if you happen to occasionally drink them.

Have you hung around acne forums for about seven years? :think:

I've heard about it from quite a few people.

Edited by Dotty1

cutting out all of that stuff would be hard because I love tomatoes on my salad and I actually heard that drinking lemon juice can be good for skin? Though I may try it. Would vinageratte* have to be cut out too??

If you cut out everything people told you to cut, you'd be eating nothing but vegetables and supplements all day. Don't cut everything at once.

If you cut out everything people told you to cut, you'd be eating nothing but vegetables and supplements all day. Don't cut everything at once.

That's what I'm sayin man.

I also just came across this:

"If you want to prevent or minimize acne breakouts, you should replace acidic food with alkaline food choices. Some examples include carrots, cucumbers, garlic, lettuce, tomatoes, apples, grapes, lemons, pineapples, raisins, strawberries, peaches, oranges and almonds. You may be surprised to see so many citrus fruits on this list. The reason is that the specific citric acid they each contain has an alkalinizing effect on your body that will actually reduce the level of acidity, rather than increase it."

-ezinearticles.com/?Foods-That-Cause-Acne&id=613455

I guess this could be wrong because the people on this form seem to know from trial and error, especially if you've been doing this for 7 years.. Any thoughts?

Removing dairy, soy, nuts, yeast, gluten, eggs or citrus for two weeks leads to a poor diet? :doh:

If done correctly, she would probably be left with a diet healthier than 80% of Americans. She could eat sushi, kale, spinach, veggie soups, potatoes, quinoa, yams, rice & veggie stir fry, lentil soups, bean pates, most fruits, all veggies...

She would be fine for two weeks, unless she has a fear of vegetables (and unfortunately most Americans do :dance: ).

Edited by Dotty1

That's what I'm sayin man.

I also just came across this:

"If you want to prevent or minimize acne breakouts, you should replace acidic food with alkaline food choices. Some examples include carrots, cucumbers, garlic, lettuce, tomatoes, apples, grapes, lemons, pineapples, raisins, strawberries, peaches, oranges and almonds. You may be surprised to see so many citrus fruits on this list. The reason is that the specific citric acid they each contain has an alkalinizing effect on your body that will actually reduce the level of acidity, rather than increase it."

-ezinearticles.com/?Foods-That-Cause-Acne&id=613455

I guess this could be wrong because the people on this form seem to know from trial and error, especially if you've been doing this for 7 years.. Any thoughts?

I was referring to an intolerance to the citric acid protein. I was not referring to alkalinity/acidity within the body.

There are seven foods in North America that cause 90% of all food allergies. It is quite possible she could be among the 90%.

Edited by Dotty1

Removing dairy, soy, nuts, yeast, gluten, eggs or citrus for two weeks leads to a poor diet? :doh:

If done correctly, she would probably be left with a diet healthier than 80% of Americans. She could eat sushi, kale, spinach, veggie soups, potatoes, quinoa, yams, rice & veggie stir fry, lentil soups, bean pates, most fruits, all veggies...

She would be fine for two weeks, unless she has a fear of vegetables (and unfortunately most Americans do :dance: ).

Food is not just sustenance. It's pleasure too. And that's a lot of delicious food you want to cut. If done correctly, you'd be eating like a (mostly) vegan hipster who shops at whole foods. Which might sit well with some people, but not with most people. And especially not the people that have been exposed to quality cooking using any of the ingredients to be removed. If you don't NEED to cut it all to get acne free, then why do it? Take it slow and pinpoint specifics.

Edited by Sahartar

The tea should be fine. And if you really want, try added dried Sea Buckthorn Berries into it (if you can find them!)! They'll add plenty of vitamins, minerals (including tons of calcium) and more antioxidants.

Try green tea too. Not only is it delicious, but the ritual involved in traditional preparation is very fun.