Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowphaze

I'm back! My story.

I haven't been on this forum since 2008 (I didn't mean to dessert you guys I swear .. I've never had REALLY bad acne, but I had enough that it made me self-conscious and caused friends and strangers to say "Proactiv works try it"...wonderful. I'm a 21-yo male 5'8 135 pounds.

It started to appear around my junior year in HS, I was 16. From ages 16 thru 19 I probably accounted for 10% of Wal-Mart's sales in their skin-care aisle. I believe that was the root cause for my skin gradually getting worse from putting an abundant amount of different products on my face.

I ditched that route and started just washing my face with a basic soap and moisturized after. This was the only thing that helped me for the last 2 years, I was living a happy life, while I was never 100% clear, but it was manageable and I was okay with it and didn't feel like I needed to see a derm.

In the last few months at the age of 21.5 my skin decided to take a route it's NEVER been to before BOOM BAM BING BOW! Clusters of zits on my cheeks, neck, and back. For some reason I don't break out on my forehead much at all. But I'll get the occasional zit up there. I couldn't believe it actually.. I thought "puberty" and whatever else was done, but I guess nature had other plans.

I can't describe how much it sucks having a job that involves constantly talking and meeting people and have your face full of zits. I wanted to quit and hibernate until hurricane zit-mania passed. I didn't though. I went to Wal-Mart and tried out some products for a couple weeks which was my disaster the last time around a few years ago. I trashed them all when someone came up to me at work and said "You know, my face was just like that and I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed accutane. I was on it for 6 months and it's all gone.. try it. You'll look great"

Usually I hate when people approach me about my face! I brush them off because they don't tell me anything I don't already know and they are so LOUD about it people a mile away can hear.

I mean I know the zits are there, whatever, but don't you think I already KNOW about my issue? Christ. Anyways, this girl was nice about it though and kinda whispered to me about it so that was nice I thought.

The next day I call the dermatologist that she recommended and my appointment wasn't until 33 days. An eternity it seemed.

I went to the appointment a few weeks ago, she gave me several options to choose from, antibiotics, creams, or accutane (claravis). I picked accutane and I received it and started the same day. 40mg a day. I'm on day 25 now. By day 18 I was CLEAR. Unfortunately it wasn't that easy, because by about day 20 I broke out in about 8 bigger-than-usual zits on my left lower cheek/jaw area and a few on my right side, and a few on my neck. Poopy. I knew an initial breakout was common, but I was just hoping I'd be part of the select lucky ones, no such luck. Anyways that was 5 days ago and it's all settling down very nice and drying up. It's amazing how quickly accutane drys them out almost immediately at the time a zit makes contact with the skin. I hope that was my IB and that it's over with smooth sailing from here..I'm not usually that optimistic though. I'm really worried about another IB if my derm ups my dosage.

My skin is usually mildly/moderately oily and the dryness I'm experiencing is really "different"!

But if it's something I need to experience to have clear skin NO PROBLEM! Dryness is the only side-effect I've experienced thus far into my course. I use Nivea Kiss of Moisture for my lips & CeraVe Moisturizer and CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser for my face.

I just have a couple questions.. if you made it this far into my post..thank you! I've just been kinda bummed lately and decided to write about all of this.

Should I expect my derm to be upping my dosage from 40mg/day when I see her on Thursday?

And do you usually experience an IB after a dosage upgrade?

I really hope this works! So frustrating! Working in a hospital in a patient setting is the ONLY thing that keeps me sane, being able to help others who have it so much worse off than I do, with terrible diseases, amputations etc. Thx guys.

Edited by yellowphaze

40mg seems like a pretty low dose for you.. I would have expected you'd be on at least 60mg a day if not 80. I started accutane like 3 months ago (I am 21 years old, 5'11 - 145 pounds), I started getting acne when I was like 16-17 years old during high-school.. Oddly enough I never really had it on my face, it started on my shoulders/back and has been mainly there. Then around when I was in my late 17's it spread to the sides of my neck and front of my neck and got worse and continued as I hit 18-19.. I was thinking the whole time like "Wtf? Isn't this supposed to be getting better as I age as opposed to spreading?"

So before I started accutane I was on antibiotics for a while to try and help it.. That on top of a healthy diet really worked for me.. One day pretty much out of nowhere my acne I had in the front of my neck along with the sides pretty much disappeared - and to this day is still gone (been like that for over a year now). Its weird sometimes nature will just take its course and clear part of your face or wherever you have acne - for good. I don't know what changed in my skin for that to happen.. It just got better. I am on accutane right now (80mg per day) to help get rid of one problem area I've had left on the side of my neck and on my shoulder... And its worked great thus far.. Results have been awesome.

As for your getting another IB after your dosage is upped.. I personally doubt it would happen if you go from 40 to 60, or 40 to 80.. But there is always that chance! You can never be certain when it comes to your skin & acne :P

As for what you said about friends commenting and stuff.. I know how it is haha.. It gets annoying having to deal with "oh proactiv can work for you" and "have you tried this?"... its pretty much like *Facepalm*

Edited by Jxr

40mg seems like a pretty low dose for you.. I would have expected you'd be on at least 60mg a day if not 80.

A lot of dermatologists start at a lower dose to "ease" patients into the drug and lessen the severity of side effects. My derm started me at 20 for the first week, then 40 for the rest of the first month, then I've been at 60 since then.

...Should I expect my derm to be upping my dosage from 40mg/day when I see her on Thursday?

And do you usually experience an IB after a dosage upgrade?

Your derm may keep you at the 40mg as you don't seem to be having bad side effects (and that's terrific) or may increase your dosage; the dosage increase would likely entail a higher risk of side effects. Many people stay on a relatively lowish dose of 20, 30, 40mg for the entire course and derive benefit from it. A lower dose course usually means a longer course though.

Some people experience another IB after a dosage increase. Some don't. It's so varied, it can't be predicted.

Like a few people predicted, your dosage could increase, or it could stay the same. I am on my 4th week right now, and I took 20mg first 2 week,s and now taking 30mg for another two weeks, and I am expecting to be raised to 40mg (where hopefully i'll stay at, or be raised to 50mg at max), and I have mild-moderate acne (I believe, never actually asked the doctor bout the classification of my acne). I believe they start at low doses because they want to see how you react to the drug, before they give you a larger dose. You are around 60kg so I'd say the max recomended dose for you would probably be 60mg (1mg/kg/day), although it could go higher, but since your acne, according to you, is not that severe, i doubt it'd go abve that mark. I would guess that side affects at more than 1mg/kg would be fairly bad, but cant accurately comment on that.

And dude, forget about your acne, most people dont pay that much attention, because hey, almost everyone has it at some point in time, we are jst the slightly unlucky ones who have a persistent version.

Well I had my derm appointment last Thursday and she upped my dose to 60mg/day.

It's kind of weird because I have 3 blister packs of 30mg now and she instructed me to take 2 pills at the same time. From reading on here with other peoples logs and posts it seems most people are splitting up the dosage for breakfast and dinner. I would think it'd be better to have a constant dose going thru my body. Why do I always think of a handful of stuff to talk to my Dr about once I'm out of there? Oh well, she's the one that went to school for 8 years lol.

This is day 36. I had another little outburst for the past couple days, not sure if it's related to the dosage increase or not. Another thing that is dramatically strange and different for me is that ever since I've been on accutane EVERY SINGLE pimple I've had is a whitehead. Pre-tane they were just regular red inflamed pimples. I rarely got whiteheads before tane. Anyone else experience this?

Toot-A-Loo for now

Edited by yellowphaze