Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tempyraro

Questions from a beginner

I:

Do any of the products need to be refrigerated?

What is the proper way to store them?

II:

How does everyone deal with the bleaching aspect of it?

Has anyone had bleaching of hair or eyebrows clothing or bedding and pillows?

How do you get around this?

I honestly dont want to have to wear white every single day.

Do i have to wait a specific amount of time before i can put on colored clothing or will it bleach it no matter what?

Will sweating later on bleach my clothes? Will rain?

Theres really no way to avoid sweat and rain.

Please tell me whatever you can about your personal experiences!!

EDIT:

Now that im here i remembered a lot of other things i had to ask.

III:

Where do i find guidelines on applying makeup? I found it once before but dont remember where.

IV:

Whats an effective way to shrink pores along with the regimen? (If the regimen doesnt do that on its own, which i HOPE it does)

V:

Should sunblock be added after moisturizer? Do i have to wait another 10 minutes after having applied moisturizer to apply sunblock or can i put on it straightaway?

(I will be wearing sunblock no matter what so i really need information on this)

Also note that the sunblock i use will be nowhere near as strong as the regimen moisturizer

so i CANNOT replace the moisturizer with sunblock.

VI:

Is Neutrogena OK to use as a face wash with the regimen? (Instead of the regimen face wash)

VII:

Will scarring result as part of the treatment? Will current scars fade or will i need to treat them separately?

Edited by Tempyraro

I. The stuff juts needs to be stored where nothing is going to spill on it in a moderate temperature area. it doesn't need THAT much care or anything.

II. I never had problems with bleaching so i can't help you there.

i think you're really over-analyzing this aspect of bleaching too, if anything it's a very minor aspect. i would put my clothing on before i put on my BP/moisturizer anyway, because i didn't want the shirt to rub anything off when it came in contact with my face.

you might just want to do a test run and see what happens, then you know what to expect.

I. The stuff juts needs to be stored where nothing is going to spill on it in a moderate temperature area. it doesn't need THAT much care or anything.

II. I never had problems with bleaching so i can't help you there.

i think you're really over-analyzing this aspect of bleaching too, if anything it's a very minor aspect. i would put my clothing on before i put on my BP/moisturizer anyway, because i didn't want the shirt to rub anything off when it came in contact with my face.

you might just want to do a test run and see what happens, then you know what to expect.

I dont know how bad the bleaching is supposed to be i just keep hearing that it bleaches clothing and hair so im very concerned about that. Thanks for the information

Regarding bleaching.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#prevent-bleach

Q: What can I do to help prevent BP from bleaching my stuff?

A: The fact that BP bleaches fabric is in my opinion its biggest drawback. Sometimes there's not a lot you can do about it. However, these tips may help:

• Wash and dry hands thoroughly after handling benzoyl peroxide.
  • Do not rub sweat from your face on your clothing.
  • Put your clothes on first, then apply BP. If you apply BP first and then put on your clothes, hold your shirt neck holes open wide while pulling them so they don't touch the face. Do the same when removing your shirts.
  • Use white towels.
  • Wear a white t-shirt under clothing if you are treating your back/chest with BP.
  • Dab sweat off with a clean dry towel to avoid run-off onto clothing.
  • Take your shirt off before washing your face in the sink so the wash water doesn't get splashed onto your shirt by accident.
  • When washing at the sink, if you have a carpeted bathroom, place a towel under your feet to catch any drips that may fall while you are washing.
  • Use white pillowcases and sheets. In a pinch, an old t-shirt can also be used as a pillowcase.

III:

Where do i find guidelines on applying makeup? I found it once before but dont remember where.

IV:

Whats an effective way to shrink pores along with the regimen? (If the regimen doesnt do that on its own, which i HOPE it does)

V:

Should sunblock be added after moisturizer? Do i have to wait another 10 minutes after having applied moisturizer to apply sunblock or can i put on it straightaway?

(I will be wearing sunblock no matter what so i really need information on this)

Also note that the sunblock i use will be nowhere near as strong as the regimen moisturizer

so i CANNOT replace the moisturizer with sunblock.

VI:

Is Noxzema OK to use as a face wash with the regimen? (Instead of the regimen face wash)

VII:

Will scarring result as part of the treatment? Will current scars fade or will i need to treat them separately?

VIII:

People with long hair: Does the hair bleach easily if it rests on your face? (When youre wearing it down, for example)

What about when youre treating your neck and back: when you wear tank tops for example is it safe to wear your hair down?

Edited by Tempyraro

I'm anal retentive about the bleaching thing, so maybe I can help there.

The bp will bleach your pillowcase over time, and your sheet or blanket if you pull it up to your face. There is just no way around it- you sweat at night and it activates the bp. I bought white sheets, white pillowcases, and a white blanket to go under my comforter that I can pull up around my face at night. That might be a little extreme, but it was the only way I could think of to not have stains on my bedding. Before that, though, I just used an old pillowcase that I didn't care about bleaching and I was careful about my blanket. I saw some pillowcases at Target that claim they don't bleach, and I would be interested to try them.

In the mornings, I wash my face in the shower and dry off with a white towel (or an old towel I don't care about). Then I dry my hair, then I get dressed, then I put on the bp. I am careful as I put it on, and once it's on I don't change shirts. After work I may change into a t-shirt, but since the bp is completely dried in to my face at that point as long as I'm not sweating it hasn't been a problem. At night I do the same thing- I change into my pajamas before I do the regimen.

I DO sometimes get makeup stains on my white bedding and towels, but I'd rather have that than bleach since I can always bleach it out in the washer.

When I travel and stay with a friend or family member, I bring along a white pillowcase and a white washcloth. I don't want to have to worry about bleaching someone else's things.

Also- again, this is probably a little extreme- if I sweat or cry I am careful to wipe my face with a white towel or something disposable like a kleenex.

When I work out I usually wear white, or I make sure to wash my face and thoroughly dry it before I take off my exercise clothes. At first, I got bleach "rings" around the necks of some t-shirts, but since I started doing this I haven't.

That might all seem really extreme, but other than the workout shirts I have only ruined one shirt on the regimen (and it was because I was shaking my bp to try to get the last bit out- dumb idea) and my bedding looks fresh and new. Once you do it for a little while it becomes habit and doesn't seem consuming.

Everyone seems to have answered most questions quite well but I'll throw in that the BP will probably bleach your eyebrows if you aren't careful - this happened to me before.

You can put some type of oil on your eyebrows to help protect them. Vaseline is good but some people say it breaks them out. Just be diligent with wiping sweat and moisture from your face by keeping wipes or a towel with you at all times.

If you type makeup or foundation in the search box or just search the cosmetics and style forum you will find tonnnnns of makeup threads :)

Other things like which face wash or sunblock is really personal choice. Just find one you like. With scarring - some people may scar and some won't. Depends on you. I would recommend making sure you moisturize well to keep your skin from drying out - that's a good start.

Edited by skylyre

Two essentially identical topics merged. The majority of the questions are answered throughout these posts. Be sure to check out all the links posted below, where you will find answers to the majority of your questions:

Start here for the Regimen step-by-step directions.

Please be sure to read the What to expect page as that helps you see what's normal when you're starting out with the Regimen.

The Biggest Mistakes page will help you determine whether or not you should add that product or change up something with regards to the Regimen.

If you continue to have trouble, Having Trouble? will guide you through a series of questions that will help you pinpoint areas of concern with your use of the Regimen.

There's also a series of Frequently Asked Questions that address the most frequent questions that regularly come up.

Here's a helpful list on Finding Supplies. You can use Dan's products or find the needed gentle cleanser, 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide product, and a gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer at a local drugstore.

to answer some of your ques:

is noxzema ok to use with the regimen?

i think you should take a look at the acne.org regimen gallery. there, you can see the diff types of cleansers used to get a general idea of what gives positive results. i think if you're using a cleanser with minimal ingredients, geared towards sensitive skin, and without an active acne fighting ingredient (since your acne treatment will be the BP), you'll be fine.

will BP bleach hair?

i can only speak for using BP on the face cuz i've never tried the regimen on my body. if you apply the BP all over your face, there's a high chance your baby hairs, and some strands will become bleached. i don't think it's a big deal, but i think brit_love has some good anti-bleaching techniques if you're worried about that.

and about the makeup .. it's difficult to wear it if you're using on the spot bc the cream doesn't adhere to the skin as well as dan's bp. otherwise, wait a few minutes after you moisturize, and it should blend pretty well.

Very useful Brit_love thank you, ill do my best. Im glad you took me seriously because noone had.

thanks skylyre. My concern with the makeup is mostly that BP is a drying agent and also harmful near the eyes. I apply makeup around in and on my eyes, so to speak. Do you or anyoneone you can think of know the risks of wearing BP and applying makeup in the eye area? Im sure SOMEONE wears eyeliner and mascara at least. What are the chances ill get BP in my eyes? What are the chances the BP will be smudged into my eye area when im applying makeup? I dont want to put my eyes in danger or dry out the skin in that area, which unfortunately is very sensitive.

About the sunblock i read that it should meet particular specifications to be harmonious with the regimen but dont know which sunblock brands and types DO work with the regimen..

inadayden_den

I dont know where to find that gallery, could you post a link?

Im not worried about blending so much as the BP spreading to undesirable areas of my face. Im careful not to get it too close to hair or eyes but when i apply makeup i put it close to hair and all over my eyes.

Im hoping someone had advice for this because i need it soon!!

Very useful Brit_love thank you, ill do my best. Im glad you took me seriously because noone had.

What are you talking about? You didn't bother to read the helpful links I posted?

Yeah i read that thanks

Is my sunblock OK to use with the regimen?

Banana Boat Baby Tear Free UVA & UVB Sunblock Lotion, SPF 50

Yeah i read that thanks

Is my sunblock OK to use with the regimen?

Banana Boat Baby Tear Free UVA & UVB Sunblock Lotion, SPF 50

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

Brandy has a helpful post made recently about sunblocks versus sunscreens. Here it is:

It's probably because you are new to the Regimen and your skin is going through the hardening phase. It can be super sensitive to just about anything right now. Take all the precautions that you can, and maybe consider some extra jojoba oil with your moisturizer. But typically the skin gets used to the bp over time and isn't quite so sensitive (unless you normally have very sensitive skin anyway).

You might also try a stronger spf product (spf 30) and a sunblock rather than a sunscreen. With sunscreens, the sun's heat is actually absorbed but with a block the sun is blocked (repelled). Look for a sunblock with zinc oxide and or titanium dioxide. For me those work way better than the chemical sunscreens and are much less irritating.

I hope that helps.