Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can you use a qtip and swab the inside of your nose with neosporin if you suspect Staphyloccocus?

I have been developing whiteheads inside my left nostril and the skin on the outside of the nostril, the base, is always getting inflammed and red and forming like a deep boil every 2 weeks. My nose is always itching on the inside too. Plus along with this is breakouts on chin, around lips, and now im getting small breakouts on cheeks undereyes which always has an itch to it.

Just wondering if its Staphyloccocus srpeading from nose and if neosporin can rid of it?

It won't do a durn thing for some strains of staph aureus. Your best bet is to go to the doctor and have a nasal swab done. You may discover that you actually have MRSA. The nares are a common site for colonization of MRSA. Bactroban in that case will be effective.

No one should everuse Bactroban for any reason except for what it was prescribed for, and only for the original duration of the treatment, as prescribed by the doctor. Doing otherwise risks the development of bacteria that is resistant to pretty much the best line of treatment for nasal MRSA.

It won't do a durn thing for some strains of staph aureus. Your best bet is to go to the doctor and have a nasal swab done. You may discover that you actually have MRSA. The nares are a common site for colonization of MRSA. Bactroban in that case will be effective.

No one should everuse Bactroban for any reason except for what it was prescribed for, and only for the original duration of the treatment, as prescribed by the doctor. Doing otherwise risks the development of bacteria that is resistant to pretty much the best line of treatment for nasal MRSA.

Well i was prescribed bactrim. Would that rid of it? I just have not taken it in fear of its side effects.

Well i was prescribed bactrim. Would that rid of it? I just have not taken it in fear of its side effects.

Most likely. That will also take care of MRSA if that's what you have (that's only a possibility though, not a guaranteed fact). I don't know though of clinical studies about Bactrim's effectiveness on nasal cutaneous issues. It might help.

JayQ,

It sounds like you may have folliculitis caused by staph because I have the same thing in the same areas but mine is way more severe. If I just leave my skin alone, I will have anywhere from 20-30 small to large whiteheads on my chin. I was on antibiotics for mild acne for over a year and that is more than likely what caused it.

I've had this for close to two years now and have tried every single treatment for acne that I could find. Dermatologists thought it was acne. It wasn't until I went to my GP and told them that I suspected folliculitis that they said, "Yeah, that's what you have".... The doctor took a swab from several of my chin pimples and had it tested to confirm that it was. They put me on bactrim ds (a stronger version of bactrim) for a week and my horrible chin situation cleared in a matter of days! I almost cried I was so happy.

But... here's the fun part... A week after I came of bactrim ds, it came back full force, just as nasty as ever. I went back to my GP and they put me on regular bactrim for a month. Same story.. a few days into bactrim my chin was beautiful and clear. It stayed this way for the entire course of bactrim and a week after and then BAM! 15 small whiteheads. It's like a nightmare that I can't wake up from. I'm going to see the derm tomorrow. I don't think there is a clear, sure-fire cure for severe folliculitis. We just take shots in the dark and hope something works. I'll keep you updated though.

JayQ,

It sounds like you may have folliculitis caused by staph because I have the same thing in the same areas but mine is way more severe. If I just leave my skin alone, I will have anywhere from 20-30 small to large whiteheads on my chin. I was on antibiotics for mild acne for over a year and that is more than likely what caused it.

I've had this for close to two years now and have tried every single treatment for acne that I could find. Dermatologists thought it was acne. It wasn't until I went to my GP and told them that I suspected folliculitis that they said, "Yeah, that's what you have".... The doctor took a swab from several of my chin pimples and had it tested to confirm that it was. They put me on bactrim ds (a stronger version of bactrim) for a week and my horrible chin situation cleared in a matter of days! I almost cried I was so happy.

But... here's the fun part... A week after I came of bactrim ds, it came back full force, just as nasty as ever. I went back to my GP and they put me on regular bactrim for a month. Same story.. a few days into bactrim my chin was beautiful and clear. It stayed this way for the entire course of bactrim and a week after and then BAM! 15 small whiteheads. It's like a nightmare that I can't wake up from. I'm going to see the derm tomorrow. I don't think there is a clear, sure-fire cure for severe folliculitis. We just take shots in the dark and hope something works. I'll keep you updated though.

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is what i keep reading that once of bactrim it comes right back, very few have i read where it stayed gone. I do not get that many as you, i have an average of 5-6 that happen, and usually one or two of the six on chin become red and inflammed. My chin is a mess though, because of the consistent breakouts, especially around lips. Cheeks under my eyes are getting small little whiteheads too and it itches at times, and skin is constantly pink/reddish too. It just all looks like crap.

Did you experience any side effects with the bactrim? What was your dosage? Also do you have pics of your breakouts?

Edited by JayQ

I had no side effects whatsoever. I'm not sure of the dosage though.. When I was on bactrim ds, I took two pills a day for a week. When I was on regular bactrim I just took one a day for a month. Both times, I was completely clear during. I've been reading a lot about folliculitis because doctors and dermatologists never spend enough time with you to get all the necessary information that could potentially help you in my opinion, and I fear I may have Gram-Negative Folliculitis which comes from prolonged antibiotic use. There is no cure for Gram-Negative. The only options I found were Accutane and antibiotics for suppression but not treatment. I don't have any pictures but I've seen yours and mine look just alike except for the fact that mine cover my entire chin and mouth area. Like I said earlier, I'm going to the dermatologist tomorrow so I'm awaiting his expertise...

If I were you I would go to a GP and tell them what you suspect. They can test it or refer you to a derm for testing to see what kind of folliculits it is if it's folliculitis at all. You should know before you waste any more of your time with treatments for acne since it's a whole different ballgame.

Best of luck.

I had no side effects whatsoever. I'm not sure of the dosage though.. When I was on bactrim ds, I took two pills a day for a week. When I was on regular bactrim I just took one a day for a month. Both times, I was completely clear during. I've been reading a lot about folliculitis because doctors and dermatologists never spend enough time with you to get all the necessary information that could potentially help you in my opinion, and I fear I may have Gram-Negative Folliculitis which comes from prolonged antibiotic use. There is no cure for Gram-Negative. The only options I found were Accutane and antibiotics for suppression but not treatment. I don't have any pictures but I've seen yours and mine look just alike except for the fact that mine cover my entire chin and mouth area. Like I said earlier, I'm going to the dermatologist tomorrow so I'm awaiting his expertise...

If I were you I would go to a GP and tell them what you suspect. They can test it or refer you to a derm for testing to see what kind of folliculits it is if it's folliculitis at all. You should know before you waste any more of your time with treatments for acne since it's a whole different ballgame.

Best of luck.

Well i have shown my doc and my GP pictures of what ive had the past two years and my GP said it looked liked folliculitis and gave me Clindamycin 1% gel. It doesnt keep me clear though. Just helps make it come to a head faster and heals it somewhat.

Then i showed my military PCM same thing and he gave me the bactrim DS to use for a month. Once daily. I asked to do a skin test but they always refrain from doing so, dont want to cost the military more money i guess.

I asked to go on accutane both times but got denied by my GP. She said was not sever enough since only on chin. I beg the differ of course. Gosh this is gonna suck if thats what i have. I took mino for about 6 months. If gram negative is called by overuse of antibiotics, just gonna make it worse in the long run using bactrim dont you think?

I want to start tonight and say screw it, but so scared :S/

Antibiotics have immensely helped so far but my folliculitis always comes back strong when I stop. From what I've read though antibiotics won't help long term. I went to the derm today and he took a sample to retest and see if I have gram-negative or just staph. The first time when I got my cultures back they said that I just have staph... But he suspects gram-negative like I do. I'll hear back later this week. Bactrim may help you. It's a risk and a decision you have to make for yourself. I'll keep you posted.

Antibiotics have immensely helped so far but my folliculitis always comes back strong when I stop. From what I've read though antibiotics won't help long term. I went to the derm today and he took a sample to retest and see if I have gram-negative or just staph. The first time when I got my cultures back they said that I just have staph... But he suspects gram-negative like I do. I'll hear back later this week. Bactrim may help you. It's a risk and a decision you have to make for yourself. I'll keep you posted.

Hey thanks for the updates. You know i was on levaquin for a infected lymph node i had and it was 500mg a day. Well i took it for 13 days out of 30 and had to stop because it was making me have anxiety attacks. It is a very strong potent antibiotic too, and the 13 days i was on it, it was keeping me clear, at least no new breakouts. When i stopped thou, it came back pretty strong, more than usual, because this time i had an itch all over my cheeks and chin, like i would wake up itching constantly. So thats is another scenerio why i think its folliculitis, and i am thinking bactrim would clear me up but like you and others have stated once i come off it will come back with a vengeance, kinda like the levaquin did to me.

I want to convince my doctor to let me see derm to get this done, i have already asked once and he seemed like it would be a waste of time. Which i def beg the differ argh! Anyways when you go to have this done, what exactly do they do? Is it painful, does it leave a bad mark?

Edited by JayQ

Hey thanks for the updates. You know i was on levaquin for a infected lymph node i had and it was 500mg a day. Well i took it for 13 days out of 30 and had to stop because it was making me have anxiety attacks. It is a very strong potent antibiotic too, and the 13 days i was on it, it was keeping me clear, at least no new breakouts. When i stopped thou, it came back pretty strong, more than usual, because this time i had an itch all over my cheeks and chin, like i would wake up itching constantly. So thats is another scenerio why i think its folliculitis, and i am thinking bactrim would clear me up but like you and others have stated once i come off it will come back with a vengeance, kinda like the levaquin did to me.

I want to convince my doctor to let me see derm to get this done, i have already asked once and he seemed like it would be a waste of time. Which i def beg the differ argh! Anyways when you go to have this done, what exactly do they do? Is it painful, does it leave a bad mark?

Well i just went and bought me some probiotics that keep refrigerated so at least i know its live, along with hibiclens wash and vitamin D3 lol.

I am really hoping that these probiotics work. I took symbiotics colostrum for 2 months and it did not help and i know it had strains of acidophilus in it but dont know how much or if it was enough.

This has per capsule: Lactobacilus acidopphilus - 2.billion

Bifidobacterium bifidum - 1.2million

Bifidobacterium longum- 200million

Streptococcus thermophilus - 200million

Lactobacillus bulgaricus - 200million

Lactobacillus paracasel - 200 million

Whew! lol Well i am hoping it can kick some of this folliculitis butt before i have to revert to actually antibiotics like bactrim. We will see, along with the hibiclens. Still going to take the B vitamins as well. :pray:

All they do is prick the active pimple and put the contents in a sample container. It hurts but doesn't leave any more of a mark than popping the pimple yourself. As far as probiotics, I don't want to sound negative but I don't think any kind of dietary change can help a bacterial staph infection in your face. I've had it for two years now and I've tried everything from probiotics, water fasting, no carb diet, candida diet, etc with absolutely no results whatsoever. I'm still waiting to hear back from the derm on the status of the culture.

All they do is prick the active pimple and put the contents in a sample container. It hurts but doesn't leave any more of a mark than popping the pimple yourself. As far as probiotics, I don't want to sound negative but I don't think any kind of dietary change can help a bacterial staph infection in your face. I've had it for two years now and I've tried everything from probiotics, water fasting, no carb diet, candida diet, etc with absolutely no results whatsoever. I'm still waiting to hear back from the derm on the status of the culture.

I understand well maybe i wont wait exactly a month for probiotics and go ahead with the bactrim as i am with you and am thinking it most likely wont work either since i too tried all the diet changes with no luck. At least if it works/doesnt work i can go to doc with the results of what he prescribed and convince more to do a skin graph test. There are sometimes where i dont have any actives at all though and i am just healing for a few days to a week at the most. So would hate to schedule that and then the day of i dont have any actives whiteheads for them to test, that would be my luck. Usually everytime i schedule to see my doc i am clearing up that day, but soon after mad breakout, never fails, thats why i take picutres to show him how it really is lol.

Well will be looking foward to your results. I know you said its like mine, but i am still curious to see a pic of it. :P

Edited by JayQ