Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wishing.to.BE.acne.FREE :)

Low dose birth control pill for small amount of acne?

I have very little acne. i have mainly just acne scars..

but i do get the odd breakouts (which is how i have gotten these scars in the past :\),

and i have very oily skin.

BUT my skin isn't extremely bad, it's mainlyyy all clear, but not 100%.. I also have like maybe 3 or 4 tiny red areas/spots mainly caused by the acne scars..

I also have irregular periods.

SO I decided I want to start on a birth control pill..

My question is,

Should I maybe get a LOW DOSE birth control pill (such as Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) if i don't have very bad acne..just very light moderate acne??

Judging from what I've said what pill do you think would be best for me???

Thanksss in advance :)

P.S. I am going to the doctors, but I would like to hear other people's input too!

A birth control pill either helps with acne or it doesn't, in my opinion it seems like you'd need the same brand pills whether you have hardly any acne or a lot of acne, in order to help it. I am on the generic of otc lo (switching to generic of otc today) and it didn't help my acne any. You have to keep in mind that birth control pills are both putting androgen into your body (the progestin usually has a slight androgenic activity) and "removing" it/balancing it out (via the estrogen). So you have to get the right balance. I think for me, the low dose of estrogen in otc lo didn't balance out the androgen in the progestin. Personally I am switching to regular otc, which has the same amount of progestin/androgen but almost twice as much estrogen.

Keep in mind that birth control pills, despite their benefits, do increase your risk of stroke and blood clots. Weigh the benefits and the risks.

Edited by postfetalphase

this is what i want to know as well! i have very mild acne however i have some red marks from previous acne/picking.... im about to start yaz as soon as i get my next period. while im excited to start... im also a bit scared that my skin will get worse.

I had mild acne and VERY oily skin. I typically would always be using a concealer for one big zit/cyst. Typically they'd appear on my chin or around my nose: T-zone area. Now I'm happy to say my skin is perfect, although still a little oily ;>

I had been on birth control before (Desogen) but I could tell the estrogen level was too high. Estrogen saps your energy and squashes your sex drive. Testosterone does the opposite. It increases your energy, oil production, sex drive. When I was pregnant my skin was perfect for 9 months so I realized I need more estrogen and less testosterone. Sooooo, I thought long and hard and am now on this:

- one saw palmetto in the am and one in the pm (anti-androgen...i.e. anti testosterone)

- HALF a birth control pill in the am (currently using Mircette which is the 10 mg lower per dose than Desgoen)

The Saw Palmetto made my skin ALMOST perfect but it was still really oily. The oil is the main reason I added Mircette. I could immediately tell a drop in oil production when I started on the BCP. If you google "dermadoctor and hormones" the first hit will be an article about birth control pills, low dose pills, oil production and how they are all related. I looked at Yaz but the progesterone in that is 3 micrograms! That's crazy high compared to all the other BCP out there. Definitely produces side effects and thus, not for me.

Hope this helps someone!

I had mild acne and VERY oily skin. I typically would always be using a concealer for one big zit/cyst. Typically they'd appear on my chin or around my nose: T-zone area. Now I'm happy to say my skin is perfect, although still a little oily ;>

I had been on birth control before (Desogen) but I could tell the estrogen level was too high. Estrogen saps your energy and squashes your sex drive. Testosterone does the opposite. It increases your energy, oil production, sex drive. When I was pregnant my skin was perfect for 9 months so I realized I need more estrogen and less testosterone. Sooooo, I thought long and hard and am now on this:

- one saw palmetto in the am and one in the pm (anti-androgen...i.e. anti testosterone)

- HALF a birth control pill in the am (currently using Mircette which is the 10 mg lower per dose than Desgoen)

The Saw Palmetto made my skin ALMOST perfect but it was still really oily. The oil is the main reason I added Mircette. I could immediately tell a drop in oil production when I started on the BCP. If you google "dermadoctor and hormones" the first hit will be an article about birth control pills, low dose pills, oil production and how they are all related. I looked at Yaz but the progesterone in that is 3 micrograms! That's crazy high compared to all the other BCP out there. Definitely produces side effects and thus, not for me.

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks for the info...I found it interesting b/c I also experienced clear skin in pregnancy.

I have some questions:

Why do you only take half of your bcpill per day?

Isn't Mircette a low estrogen bcpill? If you need more estrogen why not take a higher estrogen pill?

Just curious :)