Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have had acne for about...uh 1/12 to 2 years now. My skin has alot of whiteheads (the ones under the skin that never go away) mostly on my forehead and cheeks. Some parts of my face you cant really see them unless I stretch the skin. Occasionally I will get a ugly cyst and a few active pimples. Usually this didn't affect me as much as it has latley. Last month I broke out worse than ever before...especially on the left cheek. I had 2 cysts on my cheek and one on my foredhead and a few inflamed pimples to go along wit it....I have bought everything under the sun to try and clear my skin. I don't think anything works because my face only looks worse than it did when I started treating it. I went to the Derm when my face was broken out so badly...this was my first visit to a derm ever. Before she even sat down she offered to put me on accutane. I was so confused...I have done my research and saw that accutane was usually the last resort and derms want to rule out other things before taking this step and I didn't think I had severe acne.. I didn't have insurance so she put me on Doxycycline, tazorac, and Bencylin. I walked out of her office feeling like I had the worst skin ever. I took the Doxy for a week and then stopped it made me so sick and I couldn't eat anything...I lost 9 pounds during that week. I tried to call her but she never returned my call. Well the cysts on my cheek have popped and I now have 2 nice pitted scars there....as well as the one on my forehead. So I am back to square one all these under the skin bumps and now red marks from where all this active acne was. I'm still getting some red bumps here and there. I feel as though this is controlling my life. I look in the mirror and see the ugliest person. I have anxiety and cry for no reason even when I am at work. I was never like this before even when I still had acne...I wasn't so depressed over it. Why am I now? I don't expect my skin to be perfect....and I look at people all the time that have acne and think they are beautiful...why do I feel as though I'm not. Depression runs in my family, my mom has it pretty bad and all of my siblingss are on medication for it too. I'm wondering if I was bound to get depression and the acne is setting it off for me. I have an appt. to see a doctor next month and I hope that if they put me on an anti depressent it will help. I want me back...I miss myself the funny, outgoing, happy person I used to be. Now....I'm blah, boring , not talktive, don't want to be bothered, can't consentrate, cry, feel useless, feel ugly....I just want to jump out of my skin.

I have had acne for about...uh 1/12 to 2 years now. My skin has alot of whiteheads (the ones under the skin that never go away) mostly on my forehead and cheeks. Some parts of my face you cant really see them unless I stretch the skin. Occasionally I will get a ugly cyst and a few active pimples. Usually this didn't affect me as much as it has latley. Last month I broke out worse than ever before...especially on the left cheek. I had 2 cysts on my cheek and one on my foredhead and a few inflamed pimples to go along wit it....I have bought everything under the sun to try and clear my skin. I don't think anything works because my face only looks worse than it did when I started treating it. I went to the Derm when my face was broken out so badly...this was my first visit to a derm ever. Before she even sat down she offered to put me on accutane. I was so confused...I have done my research and saw that accutane was usually the last resort and derms want to rule out other things before taking this step and I didn't think I had severe acne.. I didn't have insurance so she put me on Doxycycline, tazorac, and Bencylin. I walked out of her office feeling like I had the worst skin ever. I took the Doxy for a week and then stopped it made me so sick and I couldn't eat anything...I lost 9 pounds during that week. I tried to call her but she never returned my call. Well the cysts on my cheek have popped and I now have 2 nice pitted scars there....as well as the one on my forehead. So I am back to square one all these under the skin bumps and now red marks from where all this active acne was. I'm still getting some red bumps here and there. I feel as though this is controlling my life. I look in the mirror and see the ugliest person. I have anxiety and cry for no reason even when I am at work. I was never like this before even when I still had acne...I wasn't so depressed over it. Why am I now? I don't expect my skin to be perfect....and I look at people all the time that have acne and think they are beautiful...why do I feel as though I'm not. Depression runs in my family, my mom has it pretty bad and all of my siblingss are on medication for it too. I'm wondering if I was bound to get depression and the acne is setting it off for me. I have an appt. to see a doctor next month and I hope that if they put me on an anti depressent it will help. I want me back...I miss myself the funny, outgoing, happy person I used to be. Now....I'm blah, boring , not talktive, don't want to be bothered, can't consentrate, cry, feel useless, feel ugly....I just want to jump out of my skin.

It's possible that the stressor of acne and its effect on you has triggered the beginning of depression. It's also possible that you are genetically predetermined to have gotten it anyway.

I am very sorry. :( Please take steps immediately to begin treatment.

Masg, same goes for you. Please take steps immediately to begin treatment. Untreated depression doesn't get better by itself; it only worsens.

Untreated depression also causes physical changes in the brain, one of which is that the hippocampus shrinks. So, it's not 'all just in your mind,' there are physical, actual measurable consequences and causes of depression.

An excellent article on depression by the Mayo Clinic.

Self-assessment to determine if you may have depression or not.

Getting help soon is your best and safest bet. Truly.

It's possible that the stressor of acne and its effect on you has triggered the beginning of depression. It's also possible that you are genetically predetermined to have gotten it anyway.

I am very sorry. :( Please take steps immediately to begin treatment.

Masg, same goes for you. Please take steps immediately to begin treatment. Untreated depression doesn't get better by itself; it only worsens.

Untreated depression also causes physical changes in the brain, one of which is that the hippocampus shrinks. So, it's not 'all just in your mind,' there are physical, actual measurable consequences and causes of depression.

An excellent article on depression by the Mayo Clinic.

Self-assessment to determine if you may have depression or not.

Getting help soon is your best and safest bet. Truly.

Thank you for the response. Yes I most definitely will talk to my doctor about this. I don't want to feel this way. It's such a horrible feeling. I just wish that I didn't have to wait a month to see someone.