Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Low-fiber, acne-friendly diet

So I'm starting to suspect that my digestive issues may be partly due to the large amounts of veggies, oat bran, and other fibrous foods I eat each day. I get bloated and basically my whole digestive tract gurgles for a few hours after each meal, indicating that something is producing a ton of trapped gas, and I've read that high amounts of fiber can cause this.

I know that some amount of fiber is necessary for the health of the intestinal bacteria, and that fiber is useful in lowering the insulin spike of a meal, but I don't know how much my gut can handle. I've tried HCl and enzymes and they don't seem to do much.

I usually eat a bowl of oat bran with almonds and cacao nibs for breakfast, snack on rye crackers with hummus, have a salad with mixed greens, broccoli and sardines and olive oil for lunch, and have chicken with cooked kale, collards or chard, zucchini and broccoli, cauliflower or other veggies for dinner.

How can I lower the fiber content of this diet without resorting to eating food with little nutritional value or high GI?

More meats, less veggies.

"Nutritional value" doesn't mean shit if you aren't absorbing it properly. Forget the entire idea. There's only so much nutrition you NEED, just eat foods that your body can handle and you'll be fine and acne free. A lot of food looks good on paper but has little practical use.

Why do you eat oat bran and not just regular oats? I was reading this amazing cookbook called Nourishing Traditions (which many of you may have heard of). The author in a way equated eating oat bran to eating white bread; the bran is stripped of the other components and nutrients, in that sense neither are a whole food.

@ uncle buck: That seems to make sense. I don't know if the gassiness means I'm not absorbing nutrients properly, though; I thought that was just bacteria chowing down on the fiber. But I think eating more meat would probably help.

@ Drizzler: I eat oat bran because I compared it side-by-side with steel cut oats at my grocery store and it had more protein and fiber content. Also, it only takes two minutes to cook it vs the 15+ steel cut oats take. What nutrients is oat bran lacking that regular oats have?

It might be just insoluble fiber that bothers you. I used to have IBS and I couldn't eat very many veggies at all, and definitely no raw ones.

Insoluble fiber foods: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp

Soluble fiber foods: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp

Also, have you tried cutting out gluten? The digestive issues could be from Celiac Disease/gluten intolerance.

It might be just insoluble fiber that bothers you. I used to have IBS and I couldn't eat very many veggies at all, and definitely no raw ones.

Also, have you tried cutting out gluten? The digestive issues could be from Celiac Disease/gluten intolerance.

Thank you, those lists are helpful! What did you eat when you couldn't handle veggies?

I actually went on a "hypoallergenic diet" for two months with no change in symptoms, leading me to believe that my problem has little to do with food sensitivities.

I usually eat a bowl of oat bran with almonds and cacao nibs for breakfast, snack on rye crackers with hummus, have a salad with mixed greens, broccoli and sardines and olive oil for lunch, and have chicken with cooked kale, collards or chard, zucchini and broccoli, cauliflower or other veggies for dinner.

How can I lower the fiber content of this diet without resorting to eating food with little nutritional value or high GI?

Why don't you eat oats or something else rather than oat bran? And I like bell peppers with hummus, especially red or orange ones. However, bell peppers really should be organic and this is expensive.

I would not change the salads and dinners.

This won't entirely answer your question but I'll include as it may be helpful :)

Whenever I eat a lot of different things, I feel the best. For instance, a salad with different colored veggies, some meat and some oil and vinegar. Then a piece of fruit after as a snack. With a big glass of water. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about these foods can explain why this might happen? Maybe it's easier to digest when you include ________ (wish I knew)

Also I think oat bran is just the outside of an oat and has more fiber. It might be better to eat the whole oat?

fiber cant really be harmfull. Most people eat way to less. Fiber can cause gas. But fiber is a good thing.

Eating meat is pretty good indeed

Thank you, those lists are helpful! What did you eat when you couldn't handle veggies?

I could handle some cooked vegetables (zucchini, celery, etc.) if I ate them along with a food higher in soluble fiber like rice, white or sweet potatoes, squash, oats, etc. So most of my meals were one of those starchy foods, some veggies, meat, and olive oil.

It could be a vitamin deficiency. I used to get bloated and burp after meals too until I started taking magnesium and my digestion improved a lot.

Could be the old Candida fairy planting it's delectable seed in your gut. But idk, everything sounds like Candida to me because I just figured out I have it.

I'm interested to see what you come up with...

I changed my diet a few months ago for my skin/general health and suddenly developed these horrible problems with bloating. On a bad day my stomach would go from flat to looking a few months pregnant, no joke. After scratching my head about it for a few weeks I realised that it was because I was consuming bucketloads of high fibre food. I've cut back on things like apples and beans and feel way better/don't look freakish. Sucks though, because I've cut some options out of an already restricted list of foods. :dry:

Thanks for the help everyone! :D

@ doublehawk: Yeah, it definitely sucks to cut even MORE foods out. Right now I'm trying to eat eggs again so I can eat them for breakfast instead of oats. Good to hear that you've alleviated your bloating with some changes. I'll let you know if I work something out!