Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nahh, not really :D but i'm going to college tomorrow and i'm so scared i will get roommates with clear skin. I'm a guy. My acne is improving but i still break out despite being on accutane. I also have OVER 9000 red scars. I hope i'm not the only one with severe acne there :doh:

Did i mention i have OVER 9000 red scars?

I'm worried they will treat me like i'm some kind of freak. :ninja: I never stayed in a dorm before and this will be very hard as i don't know when/where i can apply topicals, treat my spots if they popped, where to go when i have a really bad skin day etc. Even at home i'm so secretive and stayed alone in the room, i didn't feel so secure. Now i'll have roommates that will always able to see my horrible acne.

I know i have to continue pursuing my education but can i even concentrate with this shit going on?

Any advice/help would be appreciated

This'll be a great time to learn to ignore your skin. Do your regimen, whatever it is you do, wherever you have to do it. Roommate or no roommate. Likely he does interesting stuff, too. He is likely thinking very similarly to you, like hoping to get along with you and have a good academic year. That first year away is very scary! Concentrate on the stuff that matters: academics, getting to know people, academics, getting involved in some social activities, academics. ;) You get the idea. :)

I knew one guy in college who had very bad nodular, cystic acne. He acted as if it didn't exist and pretty soon no one noticed it because he was such a funny and nice guy. One year he showed up totally clear (we'd talked acne products in the past so I felt ok asking him the following) and I asked, "What the heck happened? you're all clear!" He said, "Accutane!" This was in 87 I believe. He was glad I'd noticed. NO ONE ever commented about his bad skin in my hearing but they sure did comment about his great humor and kindness and intelligence. He was well-known for his hysterical sense of humor. Cultivate in yourself things that you'd like to be known for (not secretiveness and a hermit-like existence, either!)

I broke out starting more in college as well. I used Retin A. I washed my face the twice a day in the dorm bathroom, applied the Retin A and clindamycin, etc, and didn't really give a darn who saw it.

This is corny, but true: It's the beginning of the rest of your life. Use it wisely, learn, come to terms with yourself. You'll be doing all of that the rest of your life but this is where it really truly starts.

Congratulations on going to college! :)

Nahh, not really :D but i'm going to college tomorrow and i'm so scared i will get roommates with clear skin. I'm a guy. My acne is improving but i still break out despite being on accutane. I also have OVER 9000 red scars. I hope i'm not the only one with severe acne there :doh:

I'm worried they will treat me like i'm some kind of freak. :ninja: I never stayed in a dorm before and this will be very hard as i don't know when/where i can apply topicals, treat my spots if they popped, where to go when i have a really bad skin day etc. Even at home i'm so secretive and stayed alone in the room, i didn't feel so secure. Now i'll have roommates that will always able to see my horrible acne.

I know i have to continue pursuing my education but can i even concentrate with this shit going on?

i know!!!!! i stay on a dorm as well.. and im just freakin out beacause im supposed to move there tom, but i'll try and convince my parents that 1st week of classes arent important. my face started beaking out again a few days ago, just when school is about to start.. YAY ME :ninja:

i know!!!!! i stay on a dorm as well.. and im just freakin out beacause im supposed to move there tom, but i'll try and convince my parents that 1st week of classes arent important. my face started beaking out again a few days ago, just when school is about to start.. YAY ME :ninja:

Learn to ignore your skin. The first week of classes is way more important than your skin!

Thank you for your awesome advice Wynne :D

You're a great mod and this forum is lucky to have ya. Well, i'm going now, nervous but feeling much better now :)

Learn to ignore your skin. The first week of classes is way more important than your skin!

i know, but it just looks soo horrible right now. they are soo inflamed, they look like roach bites :think: i'll probably skip the first 2 days. they just look so horrible i cant stand it