Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laylo

Bad food once in a while?

I've been a healthy eater for a few years (probably between 13-17 y/o), but I started getting acne about a year ago. I know they say just eat healthy, which I do, and I've managed to cut out all dairy. But I was wondering if eating something like pizza or pasta once a month or so will cause any damage. Like will it cause a pretty bad breakout? Thank you

I wish I knew a cut and dry answer to give you, but I'm still figuring this one out myself. I've cut out dairy, wheat, and gluten for a little over a month and a half. After being on this diet for about a week or two I went to a dinner where I had pizza, pasta, and dessert. Didn't have a break out after this. A few weeks ago I graduated from college and spent about 4 days celebrating and eating whatever I wanted. Had a MASSIVE breakout from this. Got that to clear up. A few days ago drank a glass of white wine...came home from dinner and WHAM breakout. I don't understand! So I guess the only answer I can give you is that it probably depends on how sensitive you are to the foods to you choose to splurge on occasionally. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will write to you as well. Good luck!

Funny that you think cutting dairy and pasta is healthy. Acne.org really got to you.

It is healthy if you have an intolerance to wheat/gluten and dairy which is extremely common. And if not, you should still limit them. There are a number of ways dairy contributes to hyperkeratinization which is the root cause of acne. And I don't think any of us can really digest gluten all that well so to varying degrees we are all a bit intolerant.

And to the OPs question, whether or not you can have them once in a while is individual and something you'll have to figure out for yourself. I do have them more than once in a while, I just don't let them be a huge part of my diet.

I think it could, but yeah it is an individual answer depending on your body and what else you have been eating/doing.

I find that taking supplements helps a lot when I can't eat right. Maybe take some in preparation if you think you might be eating unhealthy for a while.

Wow is incredible how people go to the extremes. Of course you can, more than once a month, you can even eat some fries potatoes from time to time. Just have a roobois tea after that and that is all.

Enjoy life!

Funny that you think cutting dairy and pasta is healthy. Acne.org really got to you.

It is healthy if you have an intolerance to wheat/gluten and dairy which is extremely common. And if not, you should still limit them. There are a number of ways dairy contributes to hyperkeratinization which is the root cause of acne. And I don't think any of us can really digest gluten all that well so to varying degrees we are all a bit intolerant.

And to the OPs question, whether or not you can have them once in a while is individual and something you'll have to figure out for yourself. I do have them more than once in a while, I just don't let them be a huge part of my diet.

If you don't find it impacting your acne, then I don't believe there is any reason to limit it strictly for health. But when I think "limit" I think once a day, once a week, once a month, numbers like that. If your version of "limit" is less restrictive than that tell me. Because otherwise, bread and dairy have contributed a large part to the diets of people far healthier than Americans. REAL bread and REAL dairy of course, as I keep trying to emphasize. If you can't find that then you're better off cutting it out entirely.

And I also think that "intolerances" are FAR less common than we make them out to be. It could be that because this board is made entirely of acne sufferers that we have a skewed perspective. In the world outside the forum, "extremely common" seems very wrong.

Edited by Sahartar

If a doctor has done testing and concluded that you are allergic to gluten, and/or dairy, then avoid them.. They aren't necessarily unhealthy, but to a celiac or a person allergic to dairy, they are. Have you had an allergy test? If you're in Canada and are a student you can get a free referral to an allergist and have tests done for all different kinds of foods and other things. If you tell the allergist you're a student, they usually flip the bill for you.