Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndyT

Cell-Tech (Creatine) + Accutane

K, so I have been on Accutane for a little over a month now (got bumped up to 80mg/day recently) and I want to start a workout program using this creatine called Cell-Tech as a supplement.

Would this be an OK combination, or could it be harmful?

Edited by AndyT

considering creatine draws more water to your muscles and accutane already dehydrates you, I don't know if that would be a good idea because you would have to drink a butt load of water. BTW i started working out and im on 80mg/day and my derm noticed an increase in liver enzymes so my derm said to hold off on extensive workouts until after. So that might be a bad thing if your working out and using creatine.

NOOOOO!!!! Cell-tech is shit. That stuff has like 75 grams of sugar in one serving, plus Muscletech supplements are way overpriced and usually aren't very good. I mean, I know a bunch of people that have had good results with it but broke out a lot from it, and they weren't even acne prone people, because of all the sugar. There are better brands out there that I would definitely suggest over cell tech.

Wait, I just noticed you said "I want to start a workout program". If you are just starting to work out there is absolutely no need for supplements, trust me. You will gain tons of strength your first 6 months to a year of training that you won't need supplements at all. I remember the first year of lifting weights my bench went up 80 pounds, squat 90, deadlift 85, all other lifts a lot too. It was only when I stopped adding weight on the bar for a month or two that I started using supplements. In my opinion it's just a waste of money to take supplements for the first 6 months to a year because you can do so much without them.

Precautions:

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.

Side effects of creatine include weight gain, muscle cramps, muscle strains and pulls, stomach upset, diarrhea, dizziness, high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, and kidney damage. Most studies have found no significant side effects at the doses used for up to six months.

Rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) and acute kidney failure was reported in one case involving an athlete taking more than 10 grams daily of creatine for 6 weeks. People with kidney disease, high blood pressure, or liver disease should avoid creatine.

Taking creatine supplements may prevent the body from making its own natural stores, although the long-term effects are not known. The Food & Drug Administration recommends talking to your doctor before starting to take creatine.

There have been reports of contaminated creatine supplements. Be sure to buy products made by established companies with good reputations.

From: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/creatine-000297.htm

In other words, lay off the supplementation (of any type except those discussed with and approved by the doctor who approved your Accutane use) while on Accutane.

IMO, supplementing with creatine while on accutane is fine (I asked my derm about this when I was on the drug). Just make sure you are drinking plenty (1 gallon) of water a day.

Secondly, Muscletech is shit and overpriced. You are much better getting a regular creatine monohydrate. I recommend creapure - it is cheap and very effective.

In my opinion, creatine is horrible. It does nothing for you except pump water into your muscles to make them look big. There is no true benefit to dry muscle mass.

Stick to 25g of regular whey protein 15-20 mins follwing your work out.

Edited by Fred Q

In my opinion, creatine is horrible. It does nothing for you except pump water into your muscles to make them look big. There is no true benefit to dry muscle mass.

Most of the time this is the case. However, the brand I use now on and off (after trying several kinds that all did the puffed up muscle thing) really helps me gain a lot of strength, hasn't given me any side effects, and no puffy muscles. It's made more for powerlifters and strongmen, who have no interest in muscles, just pure strength, and it seems they've somehow come up with a way to make muscles harder, rather than bigger and soft.

Cell tech is garbage. Take pure creatine monohyrdrate which will cost u about 25 cents a day for the same effects.

I took creatine during my entire accutane cycle with 0 side effects and it was never detected in my blood tests. (been on it for a year and makes a huge positive difference in my physique

Drink alot of water though please.

Supplementing with whey protein post workout is a good way to provide your body the protein it needs to build muscle mass. Whole foods are obviously the best option, but it is difficult to get the recommended 1.5-2g of protein / lb of body weight (I believe the recommended daily amount the FDA suggests is .8g / lb, but for a growing person looking to gain weight most people believe more is necessary)

Creatine and protein certainly do not conflict with one another, and should be used in conjunction, imo. Creatine monohydrate does have a reputation for giving a person a "bloated" appearance but that is only because for many years it was recommended that a person "load" the creatine at 20-25g/day for a week to saturate the muscles, then supplement at 5g/day. Now it is seen that this is not needed, and supplementing with 5g a day is the right amount.

Back to your claim that all creatine does is bloat the muscles to make them look big. Supplementing creatine leads to an increase in ATP production, which gives you more energy. It also does cause muscles to retain additional water. The increase in water retention and energy causes one to train harder and longer causing additional muscle growth and strength gains that otherwise would not have happened without creatine. When one comes off of the creatine he will lose some water weight, but the additional strength and size gains made because of the creatine will not go away. This is why creatine DOES have a benefit for dry mass gains.

I recommend supplementing beta-alanine and citrulline malate - both of which can be bought in bulk and very cheaply (I recommend NOW / Primaforce, two well respected brands)

Research both substances, one greatly helps endurance through the production of l-cartinine and the other is a precursor to l-arginine and helps improve vascularity and the "pump".

GL on your course, and stay away from cell tech imo. There are many better products out there.

The best way to gain muscle and lower body fat is through a good clean diet!! GL!

im taking creatine also (im 2 weeks of right now -creatine rotation) .

I advise you though, just to prevent problems:

drink a lot of water - i usually drink 4.5 liters or more

Do not load ( loading is taking excessive amounts for a week)- it may cause excessive dryness since creatine draws a lot of water

Personnally , if you are just starting out i dont advise you to take celltech right away. You should start with creatine mono and see how your body responds to it.

Make sure you eat a lot and often (2-3 hours) for the best results

Train hard

As others stated Cell tech is NOT only sugar... it does have sugar do cause and insulin spike and thus improve creatine absorption.

You can have some dextrose with your creatine to have the same effect.

It may not be as effective as celltech ( im not 100% sure of its composition) may have other ingredients but for a starter its good enough.

Cell-Tech is sugar, if you want to waste your $ sure go ahead.

Cell tech is not sugar.

I dont advise you to tell what is and what isnt a waste of money since you arent properly informed neither you have the same objectives as other people

creatine does not only pump water into your muscles.

You should research before saying something like that

Do you know what the words "in my opinion" mean?? I guess not.

I maintain that it does little for your muscles other than pump water into them. Don't always believe what body building web sites tell you. Yes, it does help synthesize a greater amount of energy within your muscle tissue, but it is not a significant amount that substantiates all the hype associated with it.

I'm currently working towards my degree in biology with a concentration in human biochemical processes. So unless you've completed your degree, hold a PhD in biology or chemistry, or were born with the innate ability to understand biochemical processes, then I advise you to stop attacking something that was clearly my opinion.

As stated by some other people, you honestly dont need supplements if you are just starting to work out, because when you work out initially (at least from my experience), your muscles grow at a fairly good rate and you will notice results fairly quickly. On top of that, creatine, although it will make you look stronger, really will do nothing for your actual strength and its jst storing water into your muscles, although when I tried it out, it did feel easier to work out (I didnt feel as much pain when lifting and could work out everyday w/o a problem) but as soon as you stop taking creating regularly (meaning stop rotation and etc) the effects will go away.

I dont know this for sure, but doesn't creatine also go through the kidneys (and or the liver) and since accutane affects both of those, it might not be a great idea to take it. I had asked my derm (jst out of interest) if I could take creatine while on tane, and she said no (then again she also said no drinking).

Anyway, start with either no supplements or take whey protein, and once you familiriaze yourself with your body and working out, you can then start taking supplements if you feel the need. I for instance have heard that superpump (a nitrous oxide supplement) is pretty good, but i wont start on it till I am done with accutane.

If you do decide to creatine though, just take pure creatine, and although it is recommended to take creatine with a sugary drink (better absorbtion), I would recommend you just take it with water because sugar can, from what i understand, increase or worsen acne.

Edited by jahdude

Do you know what the words "in my opinion" mean?? I guess not.

I maintain that it does little for your muscles other than pump water into them. Don't always believe what body building web sites tell you. Yes, it does help synthesize a greater amount of energy within your muscle tissue, but it is not a significant amount that substantiates all the hype associated with it.

I'm currently working towards my degree in biology with a concentration in human biochemical processes. So unless you've completed your degree, hold a PhD in biology or chemistry, or were born with the innate ability to understand biochemical processes, then I advise you to stop attacking something that was clearly my opinion.

i tried to be objective , just trying to instruct people about something i fairly know about. Truth be told you cant always be sure of your knowledge.

Im too young to have a phd or even a degree... though next year im starting college

im rather interested in this area too so im looking forward to a degree in the same area