Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Is there a generic form of Retin-A Micro?

I will be switching from Renova .02% to a generic .05% Retin-A cream soon, and am concerned that my skin irritation will increase. I've been reading good things about Retin-A Micro and how it's less irritating than regular Retin-A, but I don't think my insurance will cover it. Is the Micro version really any less irritating, and is there a generic version of this med?

I will be switching from Renova .02% to a generic .05% Retin-A cream soon, and am concerned that my skin irritation will increase. I've been reading good things about Retin-A Micro and how it's less irritating than regular Retin-A, but I don't think my insurance will cover it. Is the Micro version really any less irritating, and is there a generic version of this med?

There is not a generic version of the Retin-A micro, unfortunately. Last year I had to switch from the Retin-A micro gel, to the generic cream because of my insurance. I used the cream for about six months then quit because it made my acne worse. When I switched back to the gel my face cleared up quickly. That may be something you want to watch for.

As for the micro being less irritating, it probably isn't. While I was using the cream my face didn't peel as often as it did while it was using the gel. Of course, that's only my experience. Probably that would be a good question for you dermatologist.

Ask for the GEL of Retin A. Don't use the Retin A cream as it has a comedogenic ingredient in it and is best for wrinkles.

Retin A micro isn't available yet in generic as far as I know.

@ Rainie: Good to know, thanks! How soon after you started using the cream did your acne worsen?

@ Wynne: I am concerned about the irritation from using a gel, as my skin is very sensitive. Would a .05% gel be harsher on the skin than the .05% cream? I don't know if I should ask my derm for a step down in percentage if I switch to the gel. I was on .02% Renova samples before this, which is also meant for wrinkles and which worked well on my dry skin.

This is all very confusing. :lol:

Thank you both for your help!