Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have had acne my entire young adult / adult life. When I was a teenager, it was white heads, maybe one cyst. It would come and goe with little concern. Now that I am 34 I get a few white heads, but they're not in the majority, now I get a majority of cysts. They are red, under the skin, painful, and ugly. I get one at least once a month. I went to a demartologist and he injected a steroid into one of my cysts getting rid of it, but they simply come back in other areas. He also prescribed some cream and a face cleanser to help with my oily skin. The problem with that treatment regimine is that my cysts are below the skin, making me believe that it's a systemic issue. I was hospital last year with a burst appendix, my acne was coincidentally worse prior to going to the hospital. Acne, or outward expression of symptoms, can sometimes be a sign of some internal issue. While in the hospital I was on a lot of antibiotics, when I went home I was given a prescription of Cefalexin to prevent infection. Well, my skin cleared up and was clean for about three months. No cysts, no pain, no ugly red bumps on my face, and only on my face. I went to my primary care physician and asked for cefalexin but she was concerned about resistance and prescribed 500mg BID of erythromicin for three months. That was simply hell and compliance was next to impossible because the side effects were so horrible. So, I found a place that sells cefalexin and I had another cyst. I took the 250mg twice a day for 5 days and it cleared up in three days. No side effects, no metalic taste in my mouch, no upset stomache. And I'm comfortable with Cefalexin, and was surprised my doctor is not, because it has a pediatric indication so it's very safe and it's the only thing that works for me. My experience with acne, it doesn't appear that even dermatologists know what the heck to do about it.

please tell me where u got your cephalexin? my derm prescribed it for me but that's when i had medical insurance. now i have none and need some help with my cysts.

l

please tell me where u got your cephalexin? my derm prescribed it for me but that's when i had medical insurance. now i have none and need some help with my cysts.

l

Some pharmacies offer a $4.00 program, not sure if this is with or without insurance. WalMart is one such place. You could go to the WalMart site and research cephalexin. They have a list of medications that you can search through to find out if the med you're prescribed is on the $4.00 program. Cephalexin is a generic of Keflex and is a pretty common antibiotic so may be on the list. http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/customer_list.pdf And it is, both in 250mg and in 500mg!

Realize though that Keflex/cephalexin is highly associated with antibiotic induced colitis, including C-Diff. Taking a probiotic at the opposite time of day, or in the middle of your cephalexin doses (ie, lunch if you take the antibiotic at night and in the morning) may help.

If you ever develop loose stools on cephalexin, stop immediately and call your doctor. Don't take an anti-diarrheal until you've spoken with your doctor. If it is C-Diff, an anti-diarrheal may only make the diarrhea worse.