Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Accutane Users: Amazing cure for cracked and chapped lips

MemberMember
(@chopper)

Posted : 06/11/2010 11:36 pm

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience with trying to combat painful, annoying, and persistent cracks to the corners of my mouth (technically called angular cheilitis). My derm told me to slather Aquafor on my lips and the corners of my mouth, but no matter how much and how frequently I applied it, the cracks were extremely slow to heal. When one side would be almost healed (after WEEKS), the other would start up...and it looked absolutely horrible.

Anyway, I got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and put a call in to the derm 4 days before my appointment (I couldn't wait!). I was told to get a 1% hydrocortisone ointment (as opposed to a cream, but that might work to some degree, as well), and apply it 3 times a day. So I headed to Walmart and bought Maximum Strength Cortizone 10 ointment ($7, I think, for a ginormous tube).

Oh..my..god! All it took was ONE DAY to heal the cracks and after three days the raw/inflamed skin around the cracks (that made me look like the Joker) was completely healed and barely noticeable. I couldn't believe it. I was finally able to yawn and eat sandwiches like a normal person. I stopped applying the ointment after three days and the cracks haven't come back (it's been a couple weeks since), which is incredible since I had been battling the cracks for over a month with Aquafor.

I also tried applying it to my lips at night and then covering the hydrocortisone with a layer of Aquafor and found that it significantly improves my lips, as well. I'm only doing it one night a week, though, because there are some side effects associated with prolonged usage of hydrocortisone, like skin thinning, and I'm generally against the overuse of medications, anyway. My derm said the ointment could be applied to the inside of the nose, as well, if my nose gets super dry, so I think $7 for a big tube is well worth it.

Anyway, I had done searches on the forum for treating angular cheilitis and didn't find much, so figured I should post this in hopes it helps someone (or many ones!). I did come across mentions of Dr. Dan's Cortibalm, which has hydrocortisone in it and is supposed to work well, but I was too impatient to wait for it to be shipped. It would have been just as expensive as the Cortizone, too.

That's it - good luck all you taners!!

MoreBacon, mimicx, SRHT and 15 people liked
MemberMember
(@lydiajane)

Posted : 06/23/2012 2:04 pm

THANK YOU! I'm going to buy some right now. I have had to stop taking accutane because of how broken the corners of my mouth would get! I hope this works as well for me!! I'll let you know :)

MemberMember
(@lydiajane)

Posted : 06/25/2012 1:14 am

OMG

IT ACTUALLY WORKED

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Ahhh, I have been slathering on vaseline, polysporin, vitamin e, and aloe for MONTHS and nothing!

It completely healed within 24 hours! That is just wow, amazing. I hate my derm for not recommending this.

I couldn't even take my accutane regularly because of the painful cuts in the corners of my mouth! Now I can get back on track!

I only got 0.5% hydrocortizone ointment but it worked! Love it!!

MemberMember
(@frogslegs)

Posted : 06/29/2012 11:14 pm

That's awesme! I will certainly look into this, thank you OP!

I only recently (a few days ago) have gotten cracks in the corner of my mouth (it's so annoying, gross and I've never had it before, and hurts to open my mouth wide). I figured I could wait it out but if there's a cheap cure, yes please! :)

MemberMember
(@mwfn)

Posted : 07/03/2012 3:54 am

The main issue is that no-one is challening Dr Dan in the marketplace so he gets to charge whatever he pleases to us chapped lip, non-smiling, people.

I'm in the UK- to get this stuff out (shipping included) it costs 7. Not too bad for one lot, but then I go through two a week. I'm forking out 56 a month to the Dr.

missmaex liked
MemberMember
(@grubbyindiana152)

Posted : 01/02/2014 8:01 pm

Chopper, thank you so much! I made an account just to thank you! It worked exactly as you described, like magic!

I have had cracks at the side of my mouth for about a week. I had never had angular cheilitis before. I applied layers upon layers of lip balm, but it only seemed to make the problem worse.

I took your advice and bought the 1% hydrocortisone ointment (not cream) Cortizone 10. After the first night, the cracks healed and no more pain. Now they're completely gone.

Thank you so very much for sharing this knowledge!

MemberMember
(@amyr33d)

Posted : 01/04/2014 10:06 pm

Read this post yesterday, I have had really sore cracked skin at the corners of my mouth from using retin a, it was so painful! I had some hydrocortisone cream so I applied it and it worked really well another couple of applications and I think it will be fully healed! Thank you

MemberMember
(@mch1234)

Posted : 01/08/2014 5:38 pm

I just wanted to say thank you. I've had this problem for years & I tried hydrocortisone & was amazed that my lips were healed within 24 hours. Thank you so much!

MemberMember
(@timlsd)

Posted : 01/19/2014 5:14 pm

i too have made a account just to thank you for this info! i cannot believe how quickly and effectively the hydrocortizone oitment worked. i went to the drug store after reading this at 7 at night and woke up the next morning and it was basically healed! amazing

MemberMember
(@5bigdogs)

Posted : 03/09/2014 12:16 pm

Chopper-

I was looking for help when I came across your post. I haven't had this problem before, so I thought eating salty chips one night had done it. Went it didn't go away and seemed to be getting worse, I knew it had to be something else. Both corners of my mouth had cracked and was red and really sore. It look bad and it was embarrassing. I put everything I knew of on it, but it didn't seem to help. It seemed to get a little better and then in a day or so it was bad again. This went on for several weeks. So when I saw your suggestion for hydrocortisone ointment, I went that day. I had tried a lot of at things, but was I hoping to get something that worked quick. Wow! I bought maximum strength Cortizone 10 cream (1%) with Aloe in it. It was from a local grocery store and it was $5.99. I put it on 3 times that day and before bed. By the next morning, my mouth was SO much better....Not red and painful. It's been 3 days and its 90% gone. It sounds funny, but I can eat a sandwich and yawn with out it re-opening. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I am SO thankful you posted your success. I made an account just to let you know how much I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thank you again - You have helped many people and certainly made a huge difference to me :)

MemberMember
(@merejoh)

Posted : 05/03/2014 12:36 am

Like a couple others, I created an account just to comment on this. I have had a crack in the corner of my lips for the past week, it's been so embarassing. And not only does it look horrible, it really hurts too. So finally I looked up ways to treat it and this came up. I went straight to CVS and bought the cortizone 10 cream with aloe and within hours I could tell a difference. I kept opening my mouth in amazement that it didn't hurt as bad and that it wasn't bleeding anymore. I'm willing to bet it'll be gone in about 2 days. Seriously, this is awesome. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this!

MemberMember
(@sassylady)

Posted : 07/19/2014 10:12 pm

I've created an account like some of there folks, just to say thanks ahead of time for posting your suggestion. I've never heard of this before and am headed to Walgreens to get Maximum Strength Cortizone 10. I've been using Aguafor for a long time as suggested by a doctor but that alone hasn't helped. I had a prescription ointment as well that worked at first, but seems to have lost it's 'healing power.' So, after reading all the positive reviews on your found cure, I'm cautiously optimistic this could be the answer. I say cautiously only because nothing else has helped!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

MemberMember
(@missriss)

Posted : 07/24/2014 3:37 pm

I like many others made an account just to respond. It's been months that iv had tiny cracks on either side of my mouth, painful to eat and compounded problems when I had to have my wisdom tooth extracted. As it was just beginning to heal (for the third time after around 7 weeks) the dentist ripped it open again. Iv slathered it with Olive oil, Chapstick, and coconut oil with little to no results. I'm heading to the store on my way home to get some cortisol. Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!

MemberMember
(@saratoo)

Posted : 07/24/2014 8:32 pm

I just created an account just to reply - went and got the cortisone 10 gel not the cream and I'm happy to report it's almost gone after just one day! Thank you!

MemberMember
(@believer123)

Posted : 07/30/2014 7:03 pm

I like many others created an account just to post.... I NEVER post.... However after readin this and desperate to cure my painful lips... I looked like the damn joker they are so bad.... I jumped in my car and went to cvs for $6 I got the ointment and already after an hour I feel relief! I've tried Chapstick olive oil everything, so not 100% yet but optimistic this will finally work thank you for posting this!!!

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 07/31/2014 1:50 am

Cracks on sides of mouth are often a tell tale sign of malnourishment in nursing home residents. Its a vitamin B2 deficiency. So supplementing lower dose b-vitamins will help along with topical application of hydrocortisone at the site.

MemberMember
(@austenbronte)

Posted : 09/04/2014 4:45 pm

THANK YOU!! I searched for solutions to my reoccurring angular cheilitis and I didn't want to bother going to the dermatologist for it but I was getting desperate enough to do so. I tried constant application of Chapstick, Listerine, Neosporin, and none worked. I was miserable. I stumbled upon your post and thought, what the heck, lets give it a world. I first tried the hydrocortisone creme because that's what I had at home but after it didn't show any improvement over a day or so I went and Got the ointment kind. OMG! It was a miracle worker. After just half a day, I felt a soothing relief from the pain caused by talking or eating and after 2 days it was healed!! THANK you.

MemberMember
(@ash1975)

Posted : 10/21/2014 12:42 pm

This is great information, thank you! I'm having this issue due to some side effects from medication and it's very annoying and uncomfortable. I read this yesterday and I did try the Hydrocortisone cream that I had at home last night, but it didn't work. I will definitely be going and getting the ointment. Have you guys found that the one with Aloe works better than the regular?

MemberMember
(@ash1975)

Posted : 10/21/2014 12:46 pm

Oh yeah...I've been using Vaseline for the past few days with no relief!!!

MemberMember
(@pointer)

Posted : 10/25/2014 7:16 am

It's worked like magic! Third day now. Far better! Thanks Chopper!

MemberMember
(@hannahisntreallyabanana)

Posted : 01/19/2015 9:29 pm

Thank you!! This is my second day using it(i actually haven't used it the second time yet, so i guess only once) and it hasn't all the way healed, but hey it's only my second day. For me, this may take more than 24 hours, but thats fine by me! Im not sure how long I've been suffering this really odd condition, and I thought that i was the only one in the world who had it, along with maybe 100 other people. But NO! This is more common than i had thought. Anyway, my mouth isnt healed yet, but I woke up and there was a slight positive difference. Ill keep using it until its cleared up! Thank you!

(Ps, i was one of the people who made an account just to thank you!!)

(Pss, i know im replying a whopping four years after but HEY a lot of other people are too.)

I can't thank you enough!! :)

mstoke liked
MemberMember
(@haylzbailz)

Posted : 02/03/2015 6:25 pm

Just jumping on the bandwagon of people whom created an account to thank OP. This really saved my butt! Thanks!

mstoke liked
MemberMember
(@debrarara)

Posted : 03/09/2015 3:59 am

I've had a cut at side of my mouth since October 2014 and I have tried everything from Thrush cream to Zovirax, all without luck.

I have Hydrocortison cream at home so I am going to try this with immediate effect!

I want to be able to eat, yawn and wear lipstick again.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@ashdaking)

Posted : 03/09/2015 5:57 pm

So I also just made an account so I could thank you for this. I thought that it just kept coming back cause I was yawning or eating and had no idea it was related to the medication! I had a cut in the corner of my mouth for about 2 weeks and got sick of it and turned to google where I found this! I went and brought it straight away and instantly after I applied it it hurt a lot less and by the next day it has basically gone. It comes back every now and then but I just put some more on and it seems to do the trick! Thanks again!!!

mstoke liked
MemberMember
(@mstoke)

Posted : 04/27/2015 4:48 am

Well, after dealing with angular cheilitis off and on for two years I ran across this post. I thought, What the heck, I'll give Cortisone 10 a try. It worked!!!!! And it worked as fast as the other posts said it would. After reading all the positive feedback I had to sign up and post my experience on this thread. With all my other "issues" with my sensitive and acne prone skin this issue was the last thing I wanted to have to continue to manage. THANK YOU for posting this remedy!