Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotglue01

redness from a new moisturizer? also, when does the regimen clear up blackheads??

Please help!

I just switched moisturizers a few days ago since my other one ran out (I was using olay for sensitive skin with spf 15, and it never broke me out). I switched to just regular oil of olay advanced hydrating, and though it isn't breaking me out my face burns when I put it on, like when I first started the regimen. I don't want to deal with being a flaking mess again. Is this normal? Will it go away soon?

Also: I am seeing results with the regimen after one month, which is such a relief. However, my chin-- which is the main disaster zone on my face-- has been struggling for months and months. My experience on birth control and then on Differin for 8 weeks created a big fat mess there. The active pimples are going away, which is a huge relief, but there is a patch of black heads that LOOK like they could become pimples any minute now. This area hasn't made as much improvement as the rest of my chin. So:

Does the regimen help with blackheads?

If yes, when should I expect to see results?

Will they most likely resolve by becoming pimples first?

Thanks, and responses are greatly appreciated!

It seemed like each of my blemishes (including blackheads, although I only had two or three) had to become a pimple and then go away. It was very patterned -- when I washed my face at the beginning I could feel a whole bunch of lumps, even though I couldn't see them all, then almost one by one they became pimples and went away and now 4 months later I wash my face and usually have flat skin, no bumps :) But, I'm still dealing with flakes and redness -- now just to wait that out...

Edited by TMB

Thanks for the info, guys!

I think these pesky blackheads are forming a pimple, but it's so nice knowing that it's not going to be this huge, monster-like atrocity eating my chin. It's already come to a head, and I'm sure that it'll be gone in a couple of days. Whew!

One last question: I'm finding that I get some... white... blackhead flake things? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I get them around my chin. I think they're blackheads that are resolving but not becoming pimples, and all that gunk is just coming to the surface. It feels like they should fall off easily but they don't. Does this go away with the regimen?

Also, I just started AHA in honor of my completion of the first month. :redface: will this help out with these clogged pores?

well, it would eventually go away with the regimen, but you might want to try exfoliating. with what you're describing it sounds like something that could come off with some exfoliation of some sort.

Thanks for the info, guys!

I think these pesky blackheads are forming a pimple, but it's so nice knowing that it's not going to be this huge, monster-like atrocity eating my chin. It's already come to a head, and I'm sure that it'll be gone in a couple of days. Whew!

One last question: I'm finding that I get some... white... blackhead flake things? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I get them around my chin. I think they're blackheads that are resolving but not becoming pimples, and all that gunk is just coming to the surface. It feels like they should fall off easily but they don't. Does this go away with the regimen?

Also, I just started AHA in honor of my completion of the first month. :redface: will this help out with these clogged pores?

It might be too soon to start with the AHA as you're not completely clear yet. It MIGHT be okay though. Considering though that you had some irritation with changing moisturizers, you should start the AHA very very slowly, like every four days at night for a while. Then every three, etc.

The AHA will provide exfoliation and help with the flakies you describe.

Make sure you're wearing SPF of at least 30 while doing the regimen OR using an AHA product.

Hey again!

Well, I used the AHA last night and it did help with the flakes in that I didn't wake up with flakey skin. However, as the day goes on I definitely get flakier and flakier... my derm here in Japan gave me some petroleum jelly-like lotion to use when I get really dry and that stuff is amazing. I wake up and my skin is completely evenly-toned and moisturized. If only I knew what it was actually called and if it was available in the US or other areas; I'd totally recommend to anyone.

Considering how much the AHA burned last night I'm definitely going to work my way up from a few times a week. Does AHA help with PIH a lot? I've heard mixed reviews on that. And does it make you purge? Ugh-- "purge" is a word I've come to dread with every fiber of my being...