Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Everybody!

I'm almost 20 years old, just finishing up my second year of university. Wahooo! I've had bad skin since I can remember...I've tried basically every coctail of pharmaceuticals you can imagine and NOTHING has finished my acne. While antibiotics worked in the short term, my breakouts kept coming back after a while. I manage fine, but, honestly, my acne's taken a toll on my self-esteem, particularly now that I'm not a teenager anymore. I'm entering a new program at a new school in September where I will be working in a professional environment and I want more than anything in the world to walk in on the first day of school with clear, beautiful skin and the confidence that accompanies it. So my derm's just put me on my first dose of Accutane! I'm a little nervous but SERIOUSLY READY to kick some acne ass!!

Reading everyone's stories here has really given me confidence in myself because I know I'm not the only one who's going/gone through this. Any advice/tips for my accutane journey would be GREATLY appreciated!

<3 Alice

Hello and welcome to the boards! :)

I'm moving this to the Accutane posts forum. Also look through the Accutane logs forum for other people's experiences while on Accutane. Take a look at the pinned posts at the top of the Accutane forum for helpful tips and suggestions.

Hey, good luck!

I started accutane in february with the same goal of getting clear for the start of my third year at uni :) I'm coming close to ending my 4th month and things are going great!

A few simple tips I'd recommend!

* Stick to a good cleanser and moisturiser that work for you and don't deviate! I use cetaphil for cleansing and moisturising.

* Find something for your lips! Your lips will get VERY dry. I use vaseline, which is great and very cheap.

* Drink lots and lots of water.

* Don't expect miracles- stay realistic! It took me a month or so to start clearing up (and it did get worse beforehand) and I've still got a fair few red marks left; having said that accutane is by far the best acne treatment I've tried and I'm very happy.

* Don't expect to be fully clear by September (eek!). Depening on how severe your acne is, it generally takes 5-6 months for a person to get completetly clear. The longer you are on accutane, the smaller the chance of a relapse as well- so generally being on for the full 6 months brings about the best results. Having said that, some people have got clear in 4 months.

Hope everything goes well! Oh and don't freak out about the side effects.