Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fmoc

Tetracycline and Blackheads

Sorry quite long:

Probably since I was 14 I have been getting these large, hard, waxy plugs in my skin, almost exclusively on my forehead (now nearly 19) and whilst it never used to bother me so much, in the last year I have started to really become quite miserable about it. I guess I always used to think it would just go but it seems to only seems get worse.

My forehead and nose always seem to look like an oil slick, and my forehead appears quite blotchy (I have virtually given up sport as it just lights up after any sort of exercise) due to these plugs becoming infected and then just not budging. I seem to be stuck in this cycle of extracting these things (which seem huge, not kidding some must have been well over an inch) and looking a complete reddened mess for a few days, only to see these blackheads coming back, as well as getting the small scars (though these I can live with).

I finally went to the GP (I'm in the UK) and he was extremely understanding. He immediately ruled out creams as being essentially useless and prescribed me Tetracycline. However, he said that the theory goes that Tetracycline can alter the sebum content to stop the blackheads forming (and so won't actually remove the existing plugs) and is basically giving it two months to see how it goes, then moving on (I guess to accutane, which seems extreme but the hard truth is it's the only thing that attacks the root cause). My impression was he wasn't very confident but I believe it's NHS policy that accutane cannot be used as a first treatment (?).

So in a long winded way, what have people's experiences been of Tetracycline and extremely oily, clogged and mildly (but widespread) inflamed skin? I just don't want to get my hopes up with another treatment has no effect.

Hi there. Sorry I just saw this so I imagine you no longer need input. But I was just wondering how it went with the tetracycline? I also have blackheads. I used to take tetracycline but it was years ago when I was more concerned with regular breakouts. The older I get, the larger my pores get and I seem to have a gazillion black heads. I hate tetracycline. It makes me feel like a vampire since I feel like my skin is in flames whenever I get in the sun at all. But it did clear my skin up. Just wondering if it worked for you as I am thinking about trying it again.

I hope it did!!!

Sorry quite long:

Probably since I was 14 I have been getting these large, hard, waxy plugs in my skin, almost exclusively on my forehead (now nearly 19) and whilst it never used to bother me so much, in the last year I have started to really become quite miserable about it. I guess I always used to think it would just go but it seems to only seems get worse.

My forehead and nose always seem to look like an oil slick, and my forehead appears quite blotchy (I have virtually given up sport as it just lights up after any sort of exercise) due to these plugs becoming infected and then just not budging. I seem to be stuck in this cycle of extracting these things (which seem huge, not kidding some must have been well over an inch) and looking a complete reddened mess for a few days, only to see these blackheads coming back, as well as getting the small scars (though these I can live with).

I finally went to the GP (I'm in the UK) and he was extremely understanding. He immediately ruled out creams as being essentially useless and prescribed me Tetracycline. However, he said that the theory goes that Tetracycline can alter the sebum content to stop the blackheads forming (and so won't actually remove the existing plugs) and is basically giving it two months to see how it goes, then moving on (I guess to accutane, which seems extreme but the hard truth is it's the only thing that attacks the root cause). My impression was he wasn't very confident but I believe it's NHS policy that accutane cannot be used as a first treatment (?).

So in a long winded way, what have people's experiences been of Tetracycline and extremely oily, clogged and mildly (but widespread) inflamed skin? I just don't want to get my hopes up with another treatment has no effect.

Hi there. Sorry I just saw this so I imagine you no longer need input. But I was just wondering how it went with the tetracycline? I also have blackheads. I used to take tetracycline but it was years ago when I was more concerned with regular breakouts. The older I get, the larger my pores get and I seem to have a gazillion black heads. I hate tetracycline. It makes me feel like a vampire since I feel like my skin is in flames whenever I get in the sun at all. But it did clear my skin up. Just wondering if it worked for you as I am thinking about trying it again.

I hope it did!!!

Sorry quite long:

I was on tetracycline and it gave me severe stomach pains and I swear to this day that it caused a mild case of depression. I have never once in my life been depressed or constantly angry before I took tetracycline. I don't know what it was but I was always pissed off and was never happy while I was on it.