Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so ive been expirementing with dan's regimen and other various advice from this site for almost two years now, as well as fighting acne for years and years previously

i know that with dans regimen on my back and retin-a on my face, i can stay about 90% or more clear

however, doing the regimen every day is so tiresome, expecially in addition to having to moisturize every inch of my body morning and night to avoid eczema

and, i swear, as soon as i get clear on my back, chest, or face, my neck butt, thighs, or stomache flare up, which are usually calm

plus, i always get skin rashes, viruses, ingrown hairs, you name it

if i treated all of them the way i should id have a 3 hour regimen every morning and night

im so fed up i want to crawl in a hole and stay there

im going to college soon and dont wanna take time out of my life for all this, not to mention, i dont wanna walk around butt naked in my dorm room covered in bp, aha, and whatever other products im currently using

my skin is constantly so dry and tight i cant use accutane, which sucks cause my brother used it and looks awesome

i just want an easier way out

if anyone could respond, id much appreciate it,

jj

Have you been to a dermatologist? I ask because you're breaking out in areas that are non-typical for plain old acne. It could be a folliculitis of some type or something else all together, including a response to allergenic foods or environmental conditions.

Has BP become less and less effective? That was the case for me and I basically gradually used less and less BP then after a month I quit cold turkey. I did not break out more than I did when i was on BP. You might want to consider that since I dont think BP should be used as a long-term treatment.

You can't do much about your acne unless you take Accutane which has a some a lot of negative side effects. Just ride it out.. Im in college and suffer from acne and the many things that comes along with it. I have been through it all.. you'll live. Just be strong. Keep your mind on more important things.

Edited by AcnePwns

Has BP become less and less effective? That was the case for me and I basically gradually used less and less BP then after a month I quit cold turkey. I did not break out more than I did when i was on BP. You might want to consider that since I dont think BP should be used as a long-term treatment.

You can't do much about your acne unless you take Accutane which has a some a lot of negative side effects. Just ride it out.. Im in college and suffer from acne and the many things that comes along with it. I have been through it all.. you'll live. Just be strong. Keep your mind on more important things.

no bp works great for me, and luckily never caused dry skin or eczema for me

i just cant really completely cover myself in it twice a day, you know?

Have you been to a dermatologist? I ask because you're breaking out in areas that are non-typical for plain old acne. It could be a folliculitis of some type or something else all together, including a response to allergenic foods or environmental conditions.

ive been to multiple derms for years

theyve all said its different stuff,but no treatment has ever seemed to last

i do think its some kind of follicultis as it is on a hair line. it seems to worsen with sweat. the red marks last for months longer there than anywhere else. nothing works to treat it.

I started off using BP once a day and when I switched to twice a day, I got the same results

Maybe you can just do it once a day... I know it's very time consuming. I used to have to apply the regimen with sunscreen every morning and again at night w/o sunscreen at night six days a week. I was working 60 hrs a week too. Definitely a waste of time.. but hey you have to make a sacrifice to get what you want.

So cutting down to once a day is something you might want to consider. if you do, start gradually. do it every other day for 2 weeks then start doing it everyday

I'd go back to the derm you liked the best whose treatment seemed to last the longest and then insist upon a vigorous pursuit of causes/diagnoses. Skin scrapings, biopsy, skin cultures, blood tests for altered eosinophil counts, counts of different white blood cell types that show up in allergic conditions etc. There's still so much you can pursue, truly.

In the meantime you can eliminate one thing at a time from your environment or diet (one at a time), those things that are most likely implicated in allergies. I'd start with your laundry detergent. Switch to a hypoallergenic one first. Then after a month or so, eliminate fabric softener (if you use it). Etc. One thing at a time so you can more closely pinpoint what might be causing the problem, if indeed it is environmental or diet.

I started off using BP once a day and when I switched to twice a day, I got the same results

Maybe you can just do it once a day... I know it's very time consuming. I used to have to apply the regimen with sunscreen every morning and again at night w/o sunscreen at night six days a week. I was working 60 hrs a week too. Definitely a waste of time.. but hey you have to make a sacrifice to get what you want.

So cutting down to once a day is something you might want to consider. if you do, start gradually. do it every other day for 2 weeks then start doing it everyday

yes, ive tried this before, but i usually break out a bit, and with the other stuff cropping up, im not sure i wanan play with fire right now

but thanks

I'd go back to the derm you liked the best whose treatment seemed to last the longest and then insist upon a vigorous pursuit of causes/diagnoses. Skin scrapings, biopsy, skin cultures, blood tests for altered eosinophil counts, counts of different white blood cell types that show up in allergic conditions etc. There's still so much you can pursue, truly.

In the meantime you can eliminate one thing at a time from your environment or diet (one at a time), those things that are most likely implicated in allergies. I'd start with your laundry detergent. Switch to a hypoallergenic one first. Then after a month or so, eliminate fabric softener (if you use it). Etc. One thing at a time so you can more closely pinpoint what might be causing the problem, if indeed it is environmental or diet.

okay, cool, thanks, ill try that

what do skin scrapings, biopsies, skin cultures, and blood tests all specifically look for?

and i do have hypoallergenic almost everything and do NOT use fabric softener, but ill look at other stuff

my other problem is its so hard to keep up with a regimen, even when i do find one

its like theres something inside me that jsut wont let me

i'd say it's time to try something else.

when i first came to college, i couldn't do the regimen. it was the most successful thing i had ever done for my acne, but i just didn't have the money to be doing it. i didn't have the funds to be spending on that kind of thing, and i went to a school that was very demanding in hours, like we basically had class 24/7, so i didn't have a lot of time either.

i basically had to find other means to treat my acne. you might have to do as well. but don't give up hope, there are other things that can help.

okay, cool, thanks, ill try that

what do skin scrapings, biopsies, skin cultures, and blood tests all specifically look for?

and i do have hypoallergenic almost everything and do NOT use fabric softener, but ill look at other stuff

The procedures were generalized suggestions on what a new (or old) doc might do to get to the bottom of your continuing skin problems.

Skin scrapings generally look for bacteria, yeast, fungi or other unwelcome visitors. Same thing for biopsies. Skin cultures of infected areas may show a culprit that's causing all the problems. Blood tests will in general give the doctor an idea of what process might be going on in your body simply by looking at the numbers and kinds of white blood cells you have. The numbers of specific white blood cells let the practitioner know what kind of process is going on in someone's body. Say, the white blood cell count is high. That's generally associated with an infection, but one doesn't know what KIND of infection it might be until one looks at the TYPE of white blood cells that show up in the Complete Blood Count. Eosiniphils, lymphocytes, etc! Those are just two I remember off hand.

Also the blood tests can figure out if your RBCs are the right shape and number. Or if you have other issues that could impact general health, such as anemia.

While you're at the doctor, a general physical and lab tests would likely be a good idea.