Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lillith

ACV and Manuka or Accutane?

I have a couple of questions for all of you who have battled/are in the process of battling that monster Acne we all loathe.

First: ACV -- does anyone have anything negative to say? I've been using it topically for a little more than a week and I think I see improvement but I can't be 100% sure. I don't mind the burn or the smell. Also, improvement seems to be centered on my right cheek.

Second: Is it true that with ACV, it "gets worse before it gets better"? That's what my mom (who is a huge advocate of the holistic approach to curing everything, and she's a former nurse!) says.

Third: Manuka honey -- does anybody have ideas, like a particularly effective mask or other technique?

Fourth: Accutane -- I'm seriously so fed up with this that I told myself that if I hadn't cured or significantly improved my acne by the end of June (I started with the ACV and some organic honey at the beginning of June) that I would go to the derm and beg for Accutane. Obviously most people on the nutrition and holistic health boards would be against it, but is there anyone out there who can tell me a real horror story of why I shouldn't do it?

Thanks for all your help. If you're wondering, I'm a 19 year old female (yes, I flare terribly with my cycle) with combination skin and stress problems. I really, really want this to work but I need advice!

Edited by Lillith

I have a couple of questions for all of you who have battled/are in the process of battling that monster Acne we all loathe.

First: ACV -- does anyone have anything negative to say? I've been using it topically for a little more than a week and I think I see improvement but I can't be 100% sure. I don't mind the burn or the smell. Also, improvement seems to be centered on my right cheek.

Second: Is it true that with ACV, it "gets worse before it gets better"? That's what my mom (who is a huge advocate of the holistic approach to curing everything, and she's a former nurse!) says.

Third: Manuka honey -- does anybody have ideas, like a particularly effective mask or other technique?

Fourth: Accutane -- I'm seriously so fed up with this that I told myself that if I hadn't cured or significantly improved my acne by the end of June (I started with the ACV and some organic honey at the beginning of June) that I would go to the derm and beg for Accutane. Obviously most people on the nutrition and holistic health boards would be against it, but is there anyone out there who can tell me a real horror story of why I shouldn't do it?

Thanks for all your help. If you're wondering, I'm a 19 year old female (yes, I flare terribly with my cycle) with combination skin and stress problems. I really, really want this to work but I need advice!

Hey :)

I think if you are wanting to go the holistic route, you have to change your diet too. I wouldnt expect huge success with ACV and honey applied topically if you arent battling it from the inside as well. Dont give up so quickly! You are only 19, you have your 20s ahead of you still :). Just read through some of the threads here on some diet ideas and give em a try! The first few things people usually change when starting an acne diet is cutting out dairy, wheat, white sugar and crappy processed foods (for example, no more Hamburger Helper or KD). Also adding in more VEGGIES, and some fruit. Try that for a couple weeks to a month along wilth your topical routine and see how your skin looks :).

Good luck :).

I agree, while ACV may help, none of these will be an answer. Start thinking about treating the cause, not the symptoms.

The end of June might be too early to give up, it takes a while to wrap your head around some things, heck it took me years. Just keep reading and experimenting, you're on the right track! If you can cure your acne holistically, you'll find many other benefits come with it and it'll be worth it.

uncle buck -- thanks for the encouragement! I was afraid the end of June might be too early, but I'm so sick of waiting around and I haven't seen a derm since last summer (or maybe even before then?) But if I see enough improvements, I'll try to put off the appointment.. I'd much rather cure it holistically!

tdot -- thanks for the advice! I do have a question though; my mom drives out to this farm and buys milk "straight from the cow" -- do you think that I could have that dairy? Does anyone know? I'd assume I could because there's no added hormones, or is it something else in the milk that's bad for acne?

I am trying to eat less dairy, sugar and bread, but it'll be a big transition for me because milk and bread have always been HUGE staples in my diet.. I guess that's probably why my acne is so bad.

The ACV combined with the Manuka Honey seems to be helping, I think everything's lighter today.. I've been on it for almost two weeks now. It feels like it's taking forever, haha.

Edited by Lillith

uncle buck -- thanks for the encouragement! I was afraid the end of June might be too early, but I'm so sick of waiting around and I haven't seen a derm since last summer (or maybe even before then?) But if I see enough improvements, I'll try to put off the appointment.. I'd much rather cure it holistically!

tdot -- thanks for the advice! I do have a question though; my mom drives out to this farm and buys milk "straight from the cow" -- do you think that I could have that dairy? Does anyone know? I'd assume I could because there's no added hormones, or is it something else in the milk that's bad for acne?

I am trying to eat less dairy, sugar and bread, but it'll be a big transition for me because milk and bread have always been HUGE staples in my diet.. I guess that's probably why my acne is so bad.

The ACV combined with the Manuka Honey seems to be helping, I think everything's lighter today.. I've been on it for almost two weeks now. It feels like it's taking forever, haha.

I'd try the milk and see how it works for you. A lot of people swear that dairy is killer for their skin, but I suspect a lot of it has to do with the bad dairy you get in supermarkets. I drink that kind of milk (farm milk) and it gives me no trouble.

On the subject of Accutane, I'd say give holistic a real effort and if it totally fails or if you find that you have to eat a diet of only, say, vegetables and meat and 20 different supplements to keep clear, try accutane. I know a lot of people will disagree, but acne is such a huge detractor from enjoying life already - extreme diets like that are replacing one hindrance with another.

And one last thing, a lot of people instantly assume what's bad for acne is bad for your health too. I totally disagree. If you find your diet extremely limited to keep clear, it might be time to try unholistic options. Some people's anti acne diets are extremely deficient, not to mention very bland.

try the holistic method. Don;t do anything too extreme though, you gotta enjoy the food you eat. If it doesn't work just know that accutane has a good chance of working. I did a course of accutane and had zero side affects. I loved being on it, only thing was the dried lips. My acne cam back (nowhere near as bad as before) and mainly because I took accutane when I was 16. The later you take it in your years the more chance that your acne won't come back. But definitely try the holistic route. And even if it doesn't clear your acne and you end up trying accutane keep with the healthy lifestyle.

I'd try the milk and see how it works for you. A lot of people swear that dairy is killer for their skin, but I suspect a lot of it has to do with the bad dairy you get in supermarkets. I drink that kind of milk (farm milk) and it gives me no trouble.

On the subject of Accutane, I'd say give holistic a real effort and if it totally fails or if you find that you have to eat a diet of only, say, vegetables and meat and 20 different supplements to keep clear, try accutane. I know a lot of people will disagree, but acne is such a huge detractor from enjoying life already - extreme diets like that are replacing one hindrance with another.

And one last thing, a lot of people instantly assume what's bad for acne is bad for your health too. I totally disagree. If you find your diet extremely limited to keep clear, it might be time to try unholistic options. Some people's anti acne diets are extremely deficient, not to mention very bland.

I completely agree with you... I believe in the holistic approach, but I dont believe in limiting your fun and enjoyment of food. We should all enjoy what we eat, while choosing to eat healthy :).

Lillith, try the fresh farm milk and see how it works for you, if you continue to break out, cut it out and see what happens :).

Sahartar, thanks for the advice. I hope that the holistic approach will work for me, but we'll see. I'll try to give it longer than until the end of June, but I feel like a month should be a long enough time to see significant improvements.

More questions for ACV users..

Did you just use it topically? I'm on my third week of ACV now, and I really see no significant improvements.. I think it got better the second week, but this weekend it REALLY got worse -- lots more pustules and my face is red again.

And does anyone have a good method for applying Manuka honey? Right now I'm just sort of slapping it on there at night and sleeping on it.. I'm thinking about trying a mask.

Also, I heard that it's bad to wash your face more than twice a day.. does anyone know if this is true?

I don't understand the ACV or Accutane question? What do they have to do with each other? And what about the many other factors in acne you need to address with diet and lifestyle? ACV topically just mostly restores PH and is a little exfoliating. Don't expect it to perform miracles.

And I don't have a horror story about accutane, but from time to time, I've seen people post theirs. However, I did take accutane twice and it didn't help at all. And notice all the threads from people saying they are about to start their third, fourth, fifth course.

I don't understand the ACV or Accutane question? What do they have to do with each other?

I guess I shouldn't have posed it as a question; basically for me it's holistic (primarily ACV and honey) or Accutane. But even though I think my acne is pretty damn severe, I've been comparing it to others and I don't think it's severe enough for Accutane. But I don't know. My stupid derm who never did me any good should feel badly enough about it to give it to me if I want it, anyway.

As for diet -- I really am trying. Everything here about diet lines up with the causes of my acne. I've always drank more milk than any one I know (and I've got an awful sweet tooth and love bread) so it's going to be hard for me to cut out these things, but I really think they might be the reason why my acne has lasted so long. My brother is 17 and he had bad acne for a while, but then it went away while mine has persisted. Since our genetics are basically the same (right?) diet would be the only thing that would make sense as to why mine is so much worse. My sister is 13 and is starting to show signs, but I'm determined that her's will never get as bad as mine is.

And thanks for the link. Sometimes it seems like information overload on here, though.

Here's a simple list of my questions.

Has anyone heard negatives of ACV? (I feel like it helped me the first week, but the second week it brought back inflammation because I didn't dilute enough and might be making me break out more.)

Does ACV make acne get worse before it gets better?

Oh, and how much sun is too much sun? I've heard 15 minutes, but I've also heard "lots and lots of sunlight" .. or does it vary?

Has anyone had success with the Oil-Cleansing Method? Is it true that "oil dissolves oil" and that's what helps get rid of acne?

Thanks everyone!

How are you applying the ACV and manuka honey?

I've used ACV before and found that it made my pores bigger and face oiler =\

I have manuka honey at home. You can mix it with cinnamon into a paste and apply as a mask for 15 minutes. I think it is better to apply manuka honey to pimples only (to sleep in) because its really strong stuff it can kill healthy bacteria along with bad ones.

Here's a simple list of my questions.

Has anyone heard negatives of ACV? (I feel like it helped me the first week, but the second week it brought back inflammation because I didn't dilute enough and might be making me break out more.)

Does ACV make acne get worse before it gets better?

Oh, and how much sun is too much sun? I've heard 15 minutes, but I've also heard "lots and lots of sunlight" .. or does it vary?

Has anyone had success with the Oil-Cleansing Method? Is it true that "oil dissolves oil" and that's what helps get rid of acne?

Thanks everyone!

This entirely depends on your skin color. A very white person like me could possibly be getting much sun if he's out for 15 minutes in full sunlight. A very dark person would not be spending even 1/3 of the time he needs for adequate sunlight exposure. If you're white then try not to spend more than 20 minutes at most.

How are you applying the ACV and manuka honey?

I think it is better to apply manuka honey to pimples only (to sleep in) because its really strong stuff it can kill healthy bacteria along with bad ones.

For the ACV, I'm using two cotton balls, one for each side of my face, and dipping it into my solution which is basically 2/3 water 1/3 ACV (with mother). Then I wait for it to absorb and put the Manuka on. By the way, thanks for the info about the bacteria! I'm glad I didn't try it.

My skin looked REALLY clear yesterday, and I honestly think it's because I spent about 5 hours in the sun and about 4 of those basically exercising outdoors. So Sahartar, I'm 1/4 Lebanese and that's the color my skin tone is-- I tan very easily (which is really annoying, because my legs look like near-black and yet my face is all white and pink). So does that mean that I should be getting tons of sun?

Edited by Lillith