Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaylyn

Starving to treat acne?

Okay so, I think I might starve myself for the treatment of acne, since I know badly eating is a causer of acne. I also think I might train vigorously. I know this is very dangerous, but if it helps - why not?

I don't think it is just food. The reason you don't have acne when kid is because hormones. These hormones create a whole range of changes and signals and that is the main cause of acne. So you should focus on that, perhaps something to eat that can balanced hormones, that can improve your immune system ... that.

Okay so, I think I might starve myself for the treatment of acne, since I know badly eating is a causer of acne. I also think I might train vigorously. I know this is very dangerous, but if it helps - why not?

Because you can cause yourself some serious harm.

i tried starving myself today because all we had in our house were junk. it lasted for 4 hours until i couldnt take it anymore. i ate a bar of chocolate, brownies and junkfood. :popcorn:

Fasting is fine but DON'T combine it with working out! People work up an appetite for a reason.

Personally i've found quitting carbs to have the same effect as fasting, without the energy loss.

Yep it works in the short-term. Until you die of starvation and the maggots start eating your face, then your complexion will not look so good :dance:

Intermittent fasting is not such a bad idea though. Nothing wrong with only having 1 or 2 meals a day if you can handle it.

Don't waste your time. You can starve yourself now, yeah maybe your acne will clear up but as soon as you starting eating normal again it will come right back. So unless you can go without food for the rest of your life, don't waste your time.

Your body wont know when its full anymore. You will fall back and start eating 3x as much as before. Or you starve yourself to death or you fall back worse then ever.

No don't ever do it! Your acne will get worse.

You know what you should do? You should eat healthy and work out at least 3 times a week.

I used to be anorexic and at that period I didn't eat any breakfast and dinner, just lunch. I had a little bit of acne on my forehead then but due to my one year of anorexia the acne spread to my entire face and I had really bad health problems [lack of stamina, improper breathing, headaches].

It was a really awful experience and now I'm eating healthy, with 3 complete meals a day and yoghurt or fruit for in-between snacks. I'm also doing Dan Kern's regimen and now I'm clear. I'm clear but my face is still all red from the BP [this is just my 2nd week] and oh, I work out 4 times a week.

If you really want your acne gone, DON'T starve. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to maintain metabolic activities [calculate here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/] which is your BMR. If you don't meet your body's calorie needs you will have problems with that and may eventually have fatal diseases from that problems [which is what I had with my anorexia].

Don't go to the road where I've been. It's better to have acne than respiratory/circulatory diseases, believe me.

Great post Tiffaniez! I tried to cut out a lot of foods from my diet once, and i ended up anemic and my acne got worse. You should consider following a balance diet, getting enough sleep and exercise.

Inseated of starving, have you tried as a step just eliminating one bad thing from your diet, like sugar? I've been sugar free for the month of June so far, and my skin is better. Really Really really!!!

You're talking about fasting. You don't starve until around 30 days after not eating.

Is it really 30 days? I'm seriously thinking it's way before that. 30 days is a month!

It would depend alot on the person, right? I mean I weigh 100 pounds, I wouldn't last 30 days without food :P

@OP - it probably would help but you need to start looking for a long term solution like people already said.

You're talking about fasting. You don't starve until around 30 days after not eating.

Is it really 30 days? I'm seriously thinking it's way before that. 30 days is a month!

Ok crab you mean dieing. Starving means not eating enough and eating yourself instead. When you eat less then 1500 calories you are semi starving. You will start to break down muscle and fat.

Yes it is 30days first muscle and fat then bones and such then the organs and your dead.

Starving/semi-starving isnt good! Never. Maybe a few day fast once a year. But not more.

A reason not to starve yourself is so that you do not end up like I did when I was 12-years-old, underweight by about fifty pounds and looking like a skeleton, fainting whenever you stand up and near death, then taken to an emergency room tied up to a heart monitor and an IV and missing all of 7th grade being confined to a hospital bed forced to regain the weight I'd lost by not eating.

Starving yourself will not make you feel better about yourself. It will make you feel so, so, so, SO much worse.

And food has very little to do with acne anyway. It is definitely not a cause - at best, it may aggravate skin that is prone to acne anyway, but it will not give you acne OR take it away. Do not starve yourself. I know you are struggling with your acne and it is hard, but don't hurt yourself because of it, you deserve better. Trust me, you don't want what happened to me to happen to you.

Actually... I was close to being anorexic for a while. When you come back to eating normally it messes with your skin. I read somewhere about after being on a drastic diet you might break out. It's really not a good idea.

Yep it works in the short-term. Until you die of starvation and the maggots start eating your face, then your complexion will not look so good eusa_dance.gif

Intermittent fasting is not such a bad idea though. Nothing wrong with only having 1 or 2 meals a day if you can handle it.

if you have 1 or 2 meals a day, these meals would have to be quite big. Thus bigger meals = higher glycemic load per meal

Your body wont know when its full anymore. You will fall back and start eating 3x as much as before. Or you starve yourself to death or you fall back worse then ever.

i agree with this. I tried the starving method (except i didn't actually starve. I ate about 1k to 1.2k calories per day.) I am 5"11 and weighed 140. After eating 1.1k to 1.2k calories a day for 5-6 months, i dropped to 115 lbs. I am not at 125. Cannot gain the weight back and i never feel full anymore