Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lady25

Going 80 percent raw, minimal fat?

I have been a binge eater for the past year and my skin has obviously really suffered for it. I have cystic acne, scarred pores...it's awful. I'm in therapy and am ready to stop. I'm planning to begin a fast tomorrow (a safe one, lots of water, boiled vegetable water, vega smoothies) that will last for about a week and a half.

Afterwards, I'm planning to follow a raw food diet for quite some time.

I've researched my plans and I think that I've caused digestive problems (I get bloated after eating anything at all) and I think that my body is having trouble processing fats.

I'm going to be adding my fats to my raw/steamed foods in the form of nuts, avocado, and oils. My question is, how much fat do I need to consume at minimum? I heard somewhere that I need two tablespoons of good fat. Will consuming about a teaspoon of coconut oil, handful of nuts, and tablespoon of either olive oil/flax oil daily be healthy?

Thanks.

prepare for people here telling you to eat a bunch more fat then you would ever realistically need.

I don't know what the absolute minimum is - I would guess the level of somewhere around 20%. But I don't think that's a very healthy or maintainable level. 30-35% fats composed of strictly natural fats is better. I know almonds and olive oil are good sources as I eat them myself. I don't know what the story is on avocados and acne - I'm going to guess it's healthy.

Avocados are one of the best foods I eat, not just for my skin but they make my hair shinier.

If you're a binge eater a fast is probably the last thing you should do. This is how eating disorders work, up and down. Just stay steady.

Before going from binging to such a long fast, I'd really recommend making smaller changes.

Start by lowering your food intake over a course of time that you're comfortable with. Then, try smaller fasts first and prepare for them. For instance, eat incredibly lightly (veggies and perhaps lighter fruits) for a day, then do an 18 hour fast the next day. Or eat very lightly one day and fast the next. Always break your fasts with something very light - such as soup or steamed veggies. After a shorter fast and resuming healthy eating habits, you may opt for a longer one.

I don't think I know anybody who can go from eating tons of food to a 1.5 week long fast all of a sudden. Give your body a little more time to adjust before jumping headfirst into something like this.

As far as fats go, I can't give you a percentage or ratio. I've always just ate what was good. I don't measure fats, protein, carbs or anything like that. My diet is about 80% raw if I must place a number on it. My main staples are avocados, bananas, apples, strawberries, peppers, onions, garlic, spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, broccoli, tomato, turkey, salmon, canned tuna and almond milk. I usually only eat meat at dinner time. I'm not sure how much fat I eat on a daily basis, but my skin has been cleared by eating this way and I have tons of energy.