Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anita2232

Switching Birth Control

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to acne.org, and this is my first post :) I decided to join because I'm just so frustrated with my skin, and this seemed like a great place to go for support. I have mild to moderate acne, and I've been suffering from it since I was 12 years old. Teen years I had the red pustules like most hormonal breakouts, and starting college those went away. For 2 years in college, my skin was the clearest it's ever been! I've always had milia, tiny clogged pores of dead skin on my forehead, but they weren't too numerous or noticeable.

However, this past year, my skin has gone crazy. Nothing huge has changed in my life, so I am stumped as to why this happened. The milia has spread from my forehead to my jawline, and I get hormonal breakouts, ugly red bumps around my mouth.

I've been on ortho-tricylen-lo since I was 16, and I can say it's never made an impact on my acne. I never had severe acne, but I've always had at least 2 pimples on my face. After trying every treatment, kit and even chem peels and microderm, I'm thinking about switching my BC even though I have never had any complaints about it. No side effects, it has always done what it needs to, just hasn't had an impact on my acne.

I've read scary things about Yaz, and this was recommended by my estician to talk about with my doctor. What are your experiences with BC? Would a switch be helpful? And to what?

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to acne.org, and this is my first post :) I decided to join because I'm just so frustrated with my skin, and this seemed like a great place to go for support. I have mild to moderate acne, and I've been suffering from it since I was 12 years old. Teen years I had the red pustules like most hormonal breakouts, and starting college those went away. For 2 years in college, my skin was the clearest it's ever been! I've always had milia, tiny clogged pores of dead skin on my forehead, but they weren't too numerous or noticeable.

However, this past year, my skin has gone crazy. Nothing huge has changed in my life, so I am stumped as to why this happened. The milia has spread from my forehead to my jawline, and I get hormonal breakouts, ugly red bumps around my mouth.

I've been on ortho-tricylen-lo since I was 16, and I can say it's never made an impact on my acne. I never had severe acne, but I've always had at least 2 pimples on my face. After trying every treatment, kit and even chem peels and microderm, I'm thinking about switching my BC even though I have never had any complaints about it. No side effects, it has always done what it needs to, just hasn't had an impact on my acne.

I've read scary things about Yaz, and this was recommended by my estician to talk about with my doctor. What are your experiences with BC? Would a switch be helpful? And to what?

Thanks!

It sounds like the right birth control pill could definitely help you. Everyone reacts to birth control differently, but some are more likely to help than others. Here's a great site that I like to give out: http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

You want a progestin that is low in androgen activity relative to the potency of the progestin activity, and a medium - high dose of estrogen would help balance out the androgens also. Personally I've been on femcon fe, which helped my acne significantly and quickly but I had to go off due to worsened depression. I am now on ortho tri cyclen lo like you and it doesn't seem to affect my skin either way. I am switching to regular ortho tri cyclen, which has the same amount and type of progestin just a bit of a higher dose of estrogen so I am hoping this will help clear my skin. You might try this route also, since you have responded well to otc lo and regular otc like I said is basically except for higher estrogen (which balances out androgen),

Edited by postfetalphase

That sounds great- I never realized there was a regular tri-cyclen. I will def bring this up with my doctor, bc cyclen-lo always worked so good. Thanks for the advice!