Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
2pm

Very short cycle?

My family doctor (I don't have a dermatologist) prescribed me for one month of 40mg/day, followed by half of a month off, followed by half of a month of 40mg/day. Apparently after this I'll be completely cure. I've noticed that most people take Accutane for much longer than that. I have moderate acne (not cystic, my jawline is littered with red spots though) and I have an obscenely large amount of blackheads all over my face.

Does anyone have experience with short cycles like this? Is this going to be effective? Am I just setting myself up for relapse?

I am on my 17th day and it seems like my face is just starting to clear up (initial breakout seems to be ending?) also my blackheads are starting to rise, I think they'll fall out or something soon.

Edited by 2pm

I have never had a family doctor that would prescribe accutane unless they also specialized in skin. I find it very odd that your family doctor would do this. Personally, I have taken 5 months of accutane a few years ago and I relapsed. Right now, I am on my 6th month and basically it is my 2nd go at it. I have never heard of anyone that has such short cycles. However, the blackheads will subside. Mine were quite terrible in the beginning, but it went away. But I am doing a 6 month cycle.

I am not a physician, but I think you should do what your doctor says and if it doesn't work, perhaps you should find a dermatologist. The treatment your family doctor prescribed to you may work so stick with it. Don't be discouraged if no one else taken short cycles since your acne is probably not that severe to have the typical 5-6 month cycle.

I have never had a family doctor that would prescribe accutane unless they also specialized in skin. I find it very odd that your family doctor would do this. Personally, I have taken 5 months of accutane a few years ago and I relapsed. Right now, I am on my 6th month and basically it is my 2nd go at it. I have never heard of anyone that has such short cycles. However, the blackheads will subside. Mine were quite terrible in the beginning, but it went away. But I am doing a 6 month cycle.

I am not a physician, but I think you should do what your doctor says and if it doesn't work, perhaps you should find a dermatologist. The treatment your family doctor prescribed to you may work so stick with it. Don't be discouraged if no one else taken short cycles since your acne is probably not that severe to have the typical 5-6 month cycle.

Thanks for the reply; I've been keeping myself positive and I'm definitely going to wait it out, your reply feels like a little bit of weight has been lifted, though! My doc mentioned to me that I may need a second cycle five-or-so years from now, but he didn't stress it at all.

Did blackheads come along with your relapse?

Good luck with your second cycle!

No. Blackheads were not a great concern when I relapsed. My acne was my main concern. I'd have the typical blackhead that everyone usually gets. I usually use some biore stripe to get them out if they wanted to come out lol. My blackheads were A LOT only when I am on accutane, but they are just getting pushed out. Just make sure you don't get them clogged because that's basically how blackheads form.