Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whiskers McCoy

FML: Eating healthy diet= acne, Eating shit junk food= acne

So I've had acne for 11 years now. I'm 22. Female.

I've looked at topicals. Can't use BP,allergic.

Antibiotic treatment. Four years, 2 different antibiotics.

Herbal suppliments. Starflower oil, evening primrose oil.

Birth control pills. Dianette, Yasmin.

Dietary changes. Vegetarian from age 6. Vegan for 6 years. I know extreme diets.

Looked at Candida. Candida diet for 6 months.

Dietary supplimentation.

Exercise.

And it makes me laugh because even after all this trial and retribution I still have no conclusive idea of how to treat my acne long term to keep myself clear.

Basically I break out in correlation to what I eat, which is basically most things in varying degrees, there is nothing conclusive to say wheat, dairy or any common allergen causes my acne as I have played 'cut everything out of your diet until you are just eating vegetables' for years. Nearly gave me an eating disorder. I didn't eat things. I broke out. I eat. I break out.

Birth control worked for me in varying degrees. Dianette cleared my after giving me the worst acne of my life for 9 months. I was clear for a year. Started to come back, but was tolerable.

Due to the strength of the this drug was moved onto Yasmin. Gave me six months of fluctuating skin. Then was relatively clear for a while, but would still break out for two weeks of my cycle, clear up for two weeks then repeat it again. Fun.

I'm still on Yasmin now.

Cutting out wheat, sugar, dairy, soy, all preservatives, yeast, all that shit, did help but hardly.

I know it's all interelated so diet effects hormones. I really want to try spiro now, but I know drugs wont help in the end=( I want kids some day and I will just be making it worse for myself depending on another drug.

The places I get my acne point to PCOS, and I'm very oily. But I hate taking these drugs.

Sorry I'm ranting here, I've just spent 3 days at my boyfriends basically eating shit and drinking a lot. It was super fun, but now I'm dealing with the consequences left on my face aha.

My boyf is taking antibiotics for his skin and is clear now and can eat anything and stay clear.

Which I know makes you feel invincible because antibiotics worked for me for a year, but I became immune, didn't want to try another kind and repeat the cycle. Four years is a long time to take antibiotics. I'm hoping he doesn't experience the same thing =( I don't want that for him.

I started the hydrogen peroxide water with the p+b shakes, and I did notice a difference, but I took this three day break and now will have to start again and this time I'm going to do it and stick with the 25 day program!

I would love it if this works and I don't have to go back to the docs to talk about other drugs and creams and all that shit.

Yes ranting. I'm not looking for a cure so that I can eat shit and stay clear, I like eating healthy, it would just be nice that if eating healthy meant I could have the occasional slice of bread, cheese, icecream, alcoholic beverage, or just to not have to fear specific days of my monthly cycle so I'd be scared to do anything around that time incase my face is a mess. I'm sick of living my life in a box. I'm 22. I think acne may be a part of my life forever and I have accepted that, but it would be amazing if it wasn't a huge part of my life anymore. If I could take my life back for myself and do things with it.

Ah rasberries.

edit: I should just say here, that if I could live my life again and take out the experience of acne, I would do it all again with my acne in full throttle because it has made me who I am today and I like to think I'm a nice person haha. Not to toot my own horn or anything. I love being able to see it as a challenge, if I wake up with a face full of acne. If that happens now, I say hell yes, I'm going to do everything I planned to do today and more. I don't ever let it stop me anymore. I used to, for a long time. But the last few years of dealing with it has given me the best life lesson I could ever ask for. A sense of humour. If you can take a step out of your own ego and look at yourself hiding under the duvet smothered in whatever spot cream your using sobbing into your pillow asking why me, you might find it quite amusing. You are the only one putting yourself in the why me box. If you dont care about your skin others wont either. Having acne filters out the arseholes of this world. And the people who love you won't give a shit. You are the only one making it a problem, when really it isn't a real one. Do you have a disability that stops you from walking? Were you born with a life threatening illness? Still asking yourself why me? Shit happens. And if you get up and live your life and laugh at the petty problems you worry about nothing will ever phase you, you will see everyone for who they are and value them as a person because that is the same level of respect you should give yourself, acne or no acne. I'd rather live every day of my life with this attitude than walk through life selfish and judgemental.

Edited by Whiskers McCoy

So I've had acne for 11 years now. I'm 22. Female.

I've looked at topicals. Can't use BP,allergic.

Antibiotic treatment. Four years, 2 different antibiotics.

Herbal suppliments. Starflower oil, evening primrose oil.

Birth control pills. Dianette, Yasmin.

Dietary changes. Vegetarian from age 6. Vegan for 6 years. I know extreme diets.

Looked at Candida. Candida diet for 6 months.

Dietary supplimentation.

Exercise.

And it makes me laugh because even after all this trial and retribution I still have no conclusive idea of how to treat my acne long term to keep myself clear.

Basically I break out in correlation to what I eat, which is basically most things in varying degrees, there is nothing conclusive to say wheat, dairy or any common allergen causes my acne as I have played 'cut everything out of your diet until you are just eating vegetables' for years. Nearly gave me an eating disorder. I didn't eat things. I broke out. I eat. I break out.

Birth control worked for me in varying degrees. Dianette cleared my after giving me the worst acne of my life for 9 months. I was clear for a year. Started to come back, but was tolerable.

Due to the strength of the this drug was moved onto Yasmin. Gave me six months of fluctuating skin. Then was relatively clear for a while, but would still break out for two weeks of my cycle, clear up for two weeks then repeat it again. Fun.

I'm still on Yasmin now.

Cutting out wheat, sugar, dairy, soy, all preservatives, yeast, all that shit, did help but hardly.

I know it's all interelated so diet effects hormones. I really want to try spiro now, but I know drugs wont help in the end=( I want kids some day and I will just be making it worse for myself depending on another drug.

The places I get my acne point to PCOS, and I'm very oily. But I hate taking these drugs.

Sorry I'm ranting here, I've just spent 3 days at my boyfriends basically eating shit and drinking a lot. It was super fun, but now I'm dealing with the consequences left on my face aha.

My boyf is taking antibiotics for his skin and is clear now and can eat anything and stay clear.

Which I know makes you feel invincible because antibiotics worked for me for a year, but I became immune, didn't want to try another kind and repeat the cycle. Four years is a long time to take antibiotics. I'm hoping he doesn't experience the same thing =( I don't want that for him.

I started the hydrogen peroxide water with the p+b shakes, and I did notice a difference, but I took this three day break and now will have to start again and this time I'm going to do it and stick with the 25 day program!

I would love it if this works and I don't have to go back to the docs to talk about other drugs and creams and all that shit.

Yes ranting. I'm not looking for a cure so that I can eat shit and stay clear, I like eating healthy, it would just be nice that if eating healthy meant I could have the occasional slice of bread, cheese, icecream, alcoholic beverage, or just to not have to fear specific days of my monthly cycle so I'd be scared to do anything around that time incase my face is a mess. I'm sick of living my life in a box. I'm 22. I think acne may be a part of my life forever and I have accepted that, but it would be amazing if it wasn't a huge part of my life anymore. If I could take my life back for myself and do things with it.

Ah rasberries.

edit: I should just say here, that if I could live my life again and take out the experience of acne, I would do it all again with my acne in full throttle because it has made me who I am today and I like to think I'm a nice person haha. Not to toot my own horn or anything. I love being able to see it as a challenge, if I wake up with a face full of acne. If that happens now, I say hell yes, I'm going to do everything I planned to do today and more. I don't ever let it stop me anymore. I used to, for a long time. But the last few years of dealing with it has given me the best life lesson I could ever ask for. A sense of humour. If you can take a step out of your own ego and look at yourself hiding under the duvet smothered in whatever spot cream your using sobbing into your pillow asking why me, you might find it quite amusing. You are the only one putting yourself in the why me box. If you dont care about your skin others wont either. Having acne filters out the arseholes of this world. And the people who love you won't give a shit. You are the only one making it a problem, when really it isn't a real one. Do you have a disability that stops you from walking? Were you born with a life threatening illness? Still asking yourself why me? Shit happens. And if you get up and live your life and laugh at the petty problems you worry about nothing will ever phase you, you will see everyone for who they are and value them as a person because that is the same level of respect you should give yourself, acne or no acne. I'd rather live every day of my life with this attitude than walk through life selfish and judgemental.

AHMEN!!!

Haha your story sounds like mine!! I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING too. It seems like your acne is largley related to hormones since you seem to clear up on homonal treatment. This is the same with me. I am trying to get my hormones under control: drinking peppermint tea once a day, zinc+evening primrose oil, fish oil and vitex. I just started with this regimen however, so we shall see how it goes. I got off the BCP about 8 months ago, but only started breaking out two months ago... JOY :rolleyes:. ALSO I really want to get a food sensitivity test done, I'm willing to pay the money. People are sensitive to the weirdest stuff and that one tiny thing could be causing breakouts. Like alternavista who is allergic to oranges and gets cysts from them. I'm currently checking this site out: http://www.testyourintoleranceusa.com/ I dont know if it's legit yet though.... you might want to do the same :).

Have you tried a citrus-free diet? It looks like you have done a very good job of avoiding the most common allergens. But do not forget that citrus fruits are one of the top foods which account for over 90% of sensitivities in the US and are a common trigger for acne on this forum. Try a citrus-free diet for two weeks.

Common citrus fruits:

Tomatoes

Lemons

Limes

Oranges

Pineapple

Berries (I can't remember which type!)

Grapefruit

If citrus happens to be your trigger, you might eventually discover that it only 1 or 2 of these citrus fruit actually cause your acne and you may be able to eventually reintroduce the other citrus fruits into your diet again.

Good luck!

Edited by Dotty1

People that say they've tried everything have never tried everything :D

Check out the thread in my sig, go through each point and do it all, then you can really say you've tried everything.

Check out the thread in my sig, go through each point and do it all, then you can really say you've tried everything.

Healthoid, you're back :).

I have a question for you... what do you do when you are invited to someone's house for dinner? What if they make you pasta with loads of dairy in it?

Also... Your diet sounds pretty damn good... I mean at getting rid of acne. However there are so many people who have food sensitivity triggers that they could still be eating on a paleo diet, there for the diet will not work for everyone. I am not sure if it works for me because I havent tried being completely paleo.... but I honestly dont think it would work for me. I think my main problems are digesting fats and out of wack hormones. I am still trying to figure out how to fix these issues...and am in the process of finding a good place to get tested for allergies.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, I know it works for a lot of people, but I just wanted to express my opinion on the diet too.

Hi Whiskers,

Atleast you're not alone! FML too!

Last Friday night I fell asleep on the couch without taking my makeup off or using BHA. Woke up to non-irritated skin with no new breakouts. I was so mad at myself because I'm RELIGIOUS about applying my bha and washing my face at night. Dumbass me, I did the SAME thing on Saturday night, fell asleep with my makeup on. Woke up on Sunday to no new breakouts, and even skin tone. So I decided that my face probably doesn't like bha anymore/ I was cured. Stop using bha for 5 days, then effin broke out EVERYWHERE, in deep papules. Forehead, cheeks, chin. Nice.

I felt like passing out all day, becuase I literally only eat beans. I don't eat meat because organic meat is too expensive. I'm basically a vegan not by choice. I eat beans, and salad. I'm probably wasting away. What good is clear skin if I feel like crap? I know how you feel about wanting to just maybe have ONE little treat, or be able to eat a piece of birthday cake at a special event, or go to the movies and get popcorn and not worry about breaking out.. I mean, shouldn't you be allowed to have one little treat once in a while, I mean, we are what we do MOST of the time (eating healthy). I wish you lived here so we could just have one crazy day of eating all we want and then be there to support eachother/not judge eachother when we break out like mofos for the next week afterwards. Last night, my husband and I played a game where we both said one thing that we miss eating.. I felt like, FML.. There are all these people out there who are eating/doing whatever the eff they like and have poreless, flawless skin. Seriously? Some people say that acne is a blessing because we know that something is going on wrong inside our bodies, whereas people without acne won't realize the damage they're doing to their body until they get heart disease or diabetes, or cancer, or some other disease that effs up their live.

Although I hate acne, it has made my change my life for the better.. If it wasn't for acne, I would probably have to inject myself with insulin multiple times a day and eventually have a heart attack and die from the shit I was eating. In that sense, I am greatful to have acne. If only we could have a treat here and there, I would promise to eat healthy 95% of the time.. It's a real trade off.. clear skin but not getting to enjoy the food that life offers, or acne and getting to enjoy yummy food.. I don't know, it seems ridiculous because we should "eat to live" not "live to eat" but dammit, I love eating. I watch the food network and drool over every show.. Wishing that I would be able to *maybe* eat one of these items one day and not deal with breakouts for weeks after.

Like you, I feel like I have no idea what to do. Eat wheat, don't eat wheat, eat nuts, don't eat nuts, cut out meat, don't cut out meat, eat strawberries, don't eat strawberries. There is just so much shit that could be breaking me out, or NOT... I feel like I can eat like.. 2 foods on this earth, that's not right!

This is what I'm going to do though, and you might want to try these things too... I have been doing research on a lot of random different things.. and I came across a few posts on curezone (which I may or may not trust, not sure), of people who's acne went away after going to the dentist and having their cavities filled.. They also had other problems in their mouth, which I may suspect I have as I haven't been to the dentist in 4 years because I HATE the dentist. So I emailed a pediatric dentist that using N02 (nitrous oxide aka laughing gas) while he does dental work, as I've had this before as a kid, and he said to come in and talk to him.. I hope he'll take me as a patient.

Also, I haven't been able to find a dr in my city, so my husband's Mom was able to get me a referral to her relatives dr, and I'm going next Thursday. I am going to demand every single test of everything I can, full blood test, ultrasound for PCOS, IBS tests, hormone tests, referral to endocrinolost, allergist, I'm seriously going to ask for everything.

Then, I'm going to go to a naturopathic dr, and get "real" hormone testing done (urinalysis) which tells you what hormones you body used, as opposed to total hormones that a blood test gives you. I'm also going to try to get as many tests as I can that the dr. suggests.

I was laying in bed tonight wishing that I won the lottery. I think that if we won the lottery, we would have enough money to get every damn test in the world to find out w t f is going on with our body and skin. Nobody won the lottomax last week, so the jackpot is double tomorrow.. I'm not sure but over $50 million. If I win, I *Promise* over my heart that I will fly you to Canada and you we will get every test there is in this world, and once we get the results, we will fix our lives, and then we will make a list of all the bad and yummy things that we want to eat, and then eat all of them!!! Then we will get the latest cosmetic laser treatment to even our skin tones and have flawless skin.. and then.. I guess that's it! haha.

I wish I could cure your skin, you are such an AWESOME person, and if your personality reflected on your skin, you would be forever glowing and flawless!!! <3

Much love from your buddy in Canada,

: )

PS - I will keep you updated on everything that happens with dentist, and doctors.

PPS - I forgot to tell you, I have a colonic booked for next Saturday.. I'll let you know if it was a sucess of total failure!

Have a good night!!!

Edited by smartie

I have a question for you... what do you do when you are invited to someone's house for dinner? What if they make you pasta with loads of dairy in it?

Also... Your diet sounds pretty damn good... I mean at getting rid of acne. However there are so many people who have food sensitivity triggers that they could still be eating on a paleo diet, there for the diet will not work for everyone. I am not sure if it works for me because I havent tried being completely paleo.... but I honestly dont think it would work for me. I think my main problems are digesting fats and out of wack hormones. I am still trying to figure out how to fix these issues...and am in the process of finding a good place to get tested for allergies.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, I know it works for a lot of people, but I just wanted to express my opinion on the diet too.

Eh if there's pasta, I just avoid it. I say I'm allergic to wheat. Just eat the other stuff like salads, meats, etc.

I used to have a lot of food sensitivities, but now I can eat pretty much everything without too much trouble - except gluten.

Yeah if you can't digest fat that is going to be a big issue on paleo, because a lot of good calories will come from fat. I had issues with fat digestion that were solved by getting my vitamin D into a good range and by eating lots of calcium (from hard cheeses). Apparently calcium is needed for proper fat digestion and vitamin D is necessary for proper calcium absorption, so it all works together.

Your welcome :). Actually my advice works for everyone, just most people don't have the discipline to follow it :D .

Eh if there's pasta, I just avoid it. I say I'm allergic to wheat. Just eat the other stuff like salads, meats, etc.

I used to have a lot of food sensitivities, but now I can eat pretty much everything without too much trouble - except gluten.

Yeah if you can't digest fat that is going to be a big issue on paleo, because a lot of good calories will come from fat. I had issues with fat digestion that were solved by getting my vitamin D into a good range and by eating lots of calcium (from hard cheeses). Apparently calcium is needed for proper fat digestion and vitamin D is necessary for proper calcium absorption, so it all works together.

Your welcome :). Actually my advice works for everyone, just most people don't have the discipline to follow it :D .

WELL now that's something I didnt KNOW!! I need to get me some more calcium and vitamin d!! Do you take cod live oil to get that?? That is one supplement I wasnt really thinking was that important. How stupid is that?? I dont think I can bring cheese back into my diet... I'm sensitive to casein :(.

Common citrus fruits:

Tomatoes

Lemons

Limes

Oranges

Pineapple

Grapefruit

I know citrus is your latest obsession, but you really should start by learning the definition of citrus rather than confusing the situration.

Tomatoes, berries and pineapple are not citrus. You could be allergic to them, but you are just as likely to be allergic to any other fruit. For example, there have been quite a few people here who can't eat any member of genus prunus, which is all your stone fruit and almonds.

And there are many more citrus fruits besides the few you did list. Dozens. Citrus are the fruits with the usually thick, pithy rind and sectioned fruit. And per lists of hypoallergenic foods, few people are allergic to lemons. Which matches my experience. I get severe cystic acne from oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, key limes, and possibly many more I haven't tested, but have no problems with lemons and Persian limes.

Also this person is just about as likely to have a problem with any of hundreds of other foods and it's much more helpful to advise an elimination diet to determine any intolerances either by avoiding foods one by one or following a hypoallergenic diet for a period then adding foods in gradually.

Also, few lists I've seen count citrus as among the very top that account for 90% allergic reactions. They are bit further down the list. In fact I used to have to argue with someone here that they were a common allergen because most of the short lists of top allergens that person had seen didn't include citrus. Not that that matters to anyone who is allergic to them.

Edited by alternativista

Guest DireStraits
Common citrus fruits:

Tomatoes

Lemons

Limes

Oranges

Pineapple

Grapefruit

I know citrus is your latest obsession,

lmfao

so far this year its been

Peppermint oil->HCL tablets->low protein->Gluten sensitivity->Citrus obsession

WELL now that's something I didnt KNOW!! I need to get me some more calcium and vitamin d!! Do you take cod live oil to get that?? That is one supplement I wasnt really thinking was that important. How stupid is that?? I dont think I can bring cheese back into my diet... I'm sensitive to casein :(.

Even if you are sensitive to casein, it may be worth it because being able to digest fat is a very good thing :D . I would go for the hard cheeses, aged even better. The harder a cheese is, the less lactose it has. Aged cheddar is good and tasty.

The problem with calcium supplements is you will never know if you are taking too much or too little, but with cheese your body will naturally regulate how much you need based on your appetite.

Cod liver oil doesn't have enough vitamin D, even the highest vitamin versions only have 1,000 UI per tsp.

You want to take 4,000 IUs of vitamin D3 a day if you are not outside for most of the day or if you wear sunscreen (which will block all vitamin D production).

You can buy Vitamin D3 supplements really cheap, just make sure you get vitamin D3 (the good kind), not vitamin D2 (the synthetic bad kind).

Edited by Healthoid

Hey Guys thanks for your replies,

tdot: hope you're doing good woman, sounds like you've got a good regimen going there, go you for giving the natural route a go=) We'll get there in the end lol.

Dotty1: I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to bananas, the only other fruits I eat are apples, blueberries and tomatoes. I've never had a problem with apples or blueberries. I cut out tomatoes for a while thinking they were causing inflammation, but have tried them again recently and it makes no difference lol. But thanks for the thought.

Smartie: I really wanna hang out with you haha. You actually cheer me up through your posts of positive energy and you make me not want to give up the fight.

It sounds like you have a lot of new tricks to try and win the acne fight up your sleeve so I'm thinking hells yeah! And getting tested is going to save a lot of time I'm sure to find out which hormones need balancing and which course of action to take. I think we are similiar in that we find the frustration of trial and error overwhelming sometimes haha. We put so much energy into constantly thinking about suppliments, diets, cleansing regimens that when it seems we are going backwards its like all our work is for nothing.

But yeah, I think you've got it right there when you say at least we are proactively trying to be healthy, clearing our acne may be the insentive but overall health will be our reward.

Yes keep me updated woman! I would love to come visit Canada and have a big icecream sundae with you =D xXx

Healthoid: I actually have your clear skin cheat sheet bookmarked on my laptop haha. That is quite a fan girl thing to do. But yeah, I hear completely what you're saying about being disciplined and looking at each point you make in turn to see where I'm going wrong.

I am definitely getting out in the sun more. But I have to wear factor 30 as I'm a red head and burn through bus windows. I'm also taking a calcium suppliment with vitamin D3.

I eat shit loads of cheese. I love cheese.

I tried cutting out wheat and gluten for years but still had acne. I cut out sugar and yeast also.

Healthoid: I actually have your clear skin cheat sheet bookmarked on my laptop haha. That is quite a fan girl thing to do. But yeah, I hear completely what you're saying about being disciplined and looking at each point you make in turn to see where I'm going wrong.

I am definitely getting out in the sun more. But I have to wear factor 30 as I'm a red head and burn through bus windows. I'm also taking a calcium suppliment with vitamin D3.

I eat shit loads of cheese. I love cheese.

I tried cutting out wheat and gluten for years but still had acne. I cut out sugar and yeast also.

Getting out in the sun with sunscreen unfortunately isn't going to do anything...sunscreen will block all vitamin D production.

Another interesting thing about the sun is that UV light is antibacterial. Which means that getting sunlight on your skin can directly kill the acne bacteria, but only if there isn't something in the way to block it, such as sunscreen.

How much sun can you stand at a time? You could try just 5 minutes a day without sunscreen and see how you react and then go up from there.

Regardless of sun exposure though, vitamin D is super important. If I were you, I would take 4,000 IU of vitamin D3 everyday, if you aren't getting much sun or wearing sunscreen.

Edited by Healthoid

It is not always about eating healthy versus not eating healthy according to broad terms and definitions. A healthy food is individual, which is what makes dealing with health-related issues such a bitch and a game of darts. Spinach, tomatoes and avocados are un-healthy foods FOR ME, but they are perfectly fine and healthy for the vast majority of people.

All I can say is keep trying. I had acne for over 10 years while eating healthier than anyone I know and I finally found something that works and works consistently, not only with skin, but sleep/insomnia, fatigue, getting sick and a bunch of other intermittent ailments.

Everyday, simply do the best you can. If you cannot see the point or fruits of eating restrictively, and you break out the same or similar when eating junk, then decompress for awhile and eat some junk and have some fun. When you are ready to resume your journey, you will be all the better and ready for it.

Look, I know it is hard (impossible?) to stick to a way of life that produces little or unsatisfactory results, as I know from years of experience and experiments. All I can say is that every mistake, failure and detour from the road led me here and, for that, I am thankful.

you need to cleanse and heal your digestive tract. When going on a healthier diet and especially cutting out sugar, you need to stick to it for at least a few months while also actively cleansing the body. If you want to actually cure the cause of your acne, things are going to get at least a little worse before they get better. Eat a lot of fermented vegetables/prebiotics and probiotics.

Thanks guys for your advice, really appreciate it.

I mean, my journey with food and acne has actually driven me to eating disorders a few times.

I broke out badly after moving to uni and the stress of living away from home for the first time. I was so upset about it that I stopped eating completely for while, I was terrified of food causing me more acne. I actually just ate cup a soups and rice cakes for a month. I lost a lot of weight and got pretty ill.

It's taken me a long time to develop what I feel is a good relationship with food now. I know my body needs food to be nourished and healthy.

For me veganism wasn't a healthy way of life. I was a strict vegan for 6 years. I've been vegetarian since the age of 6. I recently started eating fish again and feel a lot better for it.

I'm just starting to see things less restrictively now. I think my acne has a lot to do with my mental state at the time. I've had periods where I've cut out all the no no's, years infact.

Mr crab, I don't just mean that I dip into and out of these diets. I have lived them for many years. For a year I ate nothing but brown rice, soya milk, nuts and raisons. And I'm not joking.

I just think it's healthier for me as a whole, to let go of my food anxieties and think fuck it. Not everything in life is about having clear skin for me anymore, and I know that each time I remember that my acne actually goes away.

sounds about right. i've been eating healthy for a while now.....dont touch junk, fast food, or processed food and it doesnt make one bit of difference in my skin. i can eat junk or salads and there will be no change. even tried eliminating things that i read on here and noticed no difference

i just got a pizza because i'm depressed and sick of it all

Hey guys, I just wanted to update on something new I've been trying here. I'm going to keep updating this thread with new things I'm trying.

I've been trying to eat balanced meals, I'm actually increasing my portion sizes as I want to put a bit of weight on. I've also been giving myself little treats every day, so I don't go insane with cravings for junk and to also test my regime to the extent it will help my skin.

*Today's treat was a rasberry jam donut with pink icing and white chocolate sprinkles. Actually needed to be alone with this it was that good.*

Also ate: lots of eggs, lots of cheese, apples, gluten free spagetti, carrots, onions, doritos, marshmallows( I have a special weakness for these).

Should also note that I'm eating A LOT of cheese, as I was reading healthoids tips on how the bacteria produced by cheese can actually help to heal a leaky gut.

That's pretty much it.

Half hour to an hour after I eat I drink half a pint of diluted apple cider vinegar.

Then another half hour to hour later I drink a p + b shake.

I've been doing this for a few days, and it seems to be showing good results.

I'm also taking L- glutamine again, as I've been trying to get candida under control and leaky gut could be what is holding me back.

I'm also making sure I'm out in the sun for at least 20 minutes a day.

I'm walking for at least an hour in the day, then half hour of proper sweating exercise at night.

I took some photos at the weekend when my skin was looking shocking, and I'll take some more at the end of this week to see what kind of results this had produced.

I've also put on a pound in weight haha, which I know is not a lot but it's a start.

I'm 5, 6 and weigh 8 stone. I want to put on half a stone, mainly just to feel healthier.

*Hang in there don't watch me. You enjoy that pizza! I really urge you to try Apple cider vinegar followed by psyllium husk and bentonite shakes. I can't rave enough about this combination at the mo.

Edited by Whiskers McCoy

Hey guys, I just wanted to update on something new I've been trying here. I'm going to keep updating this thread with new things I'm trying.

I've been trying to eat balanced meals, I'm actually increasing my portion sizes as I want to put a bit of weight on. I've also been giving myself little treats every day, so I don't go insane with cravings for junk and to also test my regime to the extent it will help my skin.

*Today's treat was a rasberry jam donut with pink icing and white chocolate sprinkles. Actually needed to be alone with this it was that good.*

Also ate: lots of eggs, lots of cheese, apples, gluten free spagetti, carrots, onions, doritos, marshmallows( I have a special weakness for these).

Should also note that I'm eating A LOT of cheese, as I was reading healthoids tips on how the bacteria produced by cheese can actually help to heal a leaky gut.

That's pretty much it.

Half hour to an hour after I eat I drink half a pint of diluted apple cider vinegar.

Then another half hour to hour later I drink a p + b shake.

I've been doing this for a few days, and it seems to be showing good results.

I'm also taking L- glutamine again, as I've been trying to get candida under control and leaky gut could be what is holding me back.

I'm also making sure I'm out in the sun for at least 20 minutes a day.

I'm walking for at least an hour in the day, then half hour of proper sweating exercise at night.

I took some photos at the weekend when my skin was looking shocking, and I'll take some more at the end of this week to see what kind of results this had produced.

I've also put on a pound in weight haha, which I know is not a lot but it's a start.

I'm 5, 6 and weigh 8 stone. I want to put on half a stone, mainly just to feel healthier.

*Hang in there don't watch me. You enjoy that pizza! I really urge you to try Apple cider vinegar followed by psyllium husk and bentonite shakes. I can't rave enough about this combination at the mo.

O M G LOL what I read this I think my mouth was watering. I havent had a doughnut in YEARSSSSS.... Literally from the first second I came to this health section of the org I havent touched junk food. Well maybe I've had a nibble here and there but never a full on doughnut or peice of pizza. Man I must be weird. Anyway I bet the doughnut was awesome :). However I'm not sure you are going to get the results you want if you dont take a break from the treats for a little while. Especially if you sensitive to wheat or dairy or sugar. I'm sorry :( I dont mean to be a buzz kill.... I'm awful.... but I just really want you to see results :). I know how frustrating it is to think you are doing everything right and getting no results... That seems to be what's happening to me right now. Seriously, I look like CRAP right now, it's not even just my skin, but I have gotten these gross bags under my eyes and they are dark and I look like I have some sort of deficiency... It's super depressing. Especially when I am eating so DAMN healthy. It's just not fair, but nothing is fair :(.

Anyway sorry for my ranting, I wish you the best of luck with your skin :). We deserve to have pretty skin again!

That donut sounded like a gift from the gods.. !!! :D Whiskers, nobody won the big $50 million lottory last week, I did win a free ticket for this week though, remember my promise, if I win, you + me = cured at whatever cost (naturally ofcourse)!!!! I even told my husband "..And my friend on acne.org, Whiskers McCoy, we're going to fly her here and get extensive testing done, etc, etc and we will both have clear skin" When he asked me what the first thing we would do if we won the lottory was... His face was LOL..! Honestly though, that is the FIRST thing I would do. (The only reason I'm so lottory gaga is becuase every once in a while the jackpot gets G I G A N T I C. I think it's $50 mil + 43 million prizes) :)

Well...Ahhh, life. Such a random journey of random events. Some are awesome, some are not (acne).

I'm so tired though, ps: I stopped the P&B shakes, they were kind of .. constipating? :D I read that this happens for the first bit though, I wanted to ask what your experience was though before I started up again. I also upped my antifungals.. It's like, does the candida wonder what the fudge is going on? I give it a feast of sugar and then rip it apart with coconut oil later that day... Atleast I grant it one last delicious meal. This weekend I gave my candida gourmet organic mint chocolate bars... Now that's a high class fungus! :D Have a good night Whiskers, :)

Edited by smartie

You need to find the right diet. I highly recommend you don't drink soy milk or eat any soy products and cut out all sugars, even raisins.

Hi!

It seems like you, me, tdot, and smartie are sure having a crappy time with this diet stuff!! I have been keeping a log since I quit birth control pills in april and it has been such a rollercoaster ride --- I'm trying to fight this naturally... that basically leaves me with a healthy diet and vitamins. But I CAN'T get the diet part right... my eating has become such a mess - the longer I am off the pill and the more I read = crap.

I am scared of so many foods now. My eating is so out of whack right now... and my face is CRAP CRAP CRAP. I feel like I should just eat whatever I want --- if I wasn't so deprived I'd probably end up healthier... when I restrict myself so much it just causes me to binge on ANYTHING (even if it's something I don't even really like). I've gotten rid of most of the food in my house that are tempting and 'naughty' - butter (so I can't eat buttered bread), milk, treats, chocolate, etc... but now I just rummage through the house and find anything to eat.... so now I'm pigging out on oatmeal with honey cause it's the only damn sweet thing I can find... so yes, oatmeal is technically 'healthy' - but not when I just keep eating it... not to mention it isn't truly 'satisfying' me - so then I just keep looking for more food. I'm not sure if that all made sense... but the bottom line is that my eating is MESSED up right now!

I really like your idea of testing out what happens if you are less strict. I think having a treat here and there is a good way to stay sane... I feel like I just need a week to PIG OUT and enjoy all the foods I've been missing (mainly ice cream and pizza).

Well best of luck to you and I hope you can figure something out!

Thanks for your replies guys.

I ate particularly poorly today, I blame my pms and missing my boyf. My housemate says I have started comfort eating, which I then will then be heard to proclaim; ' no I'm not!' through a mouth full of maltesers.

I had 2 omellettes lol (roughly 5 eggs with a lot of cheese)

3 apples

2 bags of crisps

1 small bar of galaxy chocolate

1 bag of maltesers

2 slices of toast.

Haha that's actually an appalling diet for today, I think I have reached a new low. I'm trying to eat what's in my cuboards as I'm moving back home soon.

I'm willing to step up and be the junk food guinea pig whilst trialing the acv, p+b, l glutamine and exercise regime. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

My forehead is clearing up! There are only a couple of spots there today, in the place of a million cysts that came up last week.

One cheek is clear bar a few red marks. The other cheek has been getting a few whiteheads.

Chin is clearing=)

So I'm continueing on with my fuck it mentality. I still haven't tried the sugar daddy of them all yet....alcohol=0 my friend has invited me to the pub tomorrow to watch the football and there will be drinking for sure. Not sure whether to give it try, see what happens. Or stick to water for now and not try to push too far. But that's really not in the spirit of the 'fuck it' mentality is it? =)

Smartie I love how you personify your candida haha. That is the most awesome thing I've heard today. You crack me up woman.

Hey babe,

This is my first post.. I have been reading your post and Smartie's.. And i understand how you gals are feeling. I am experiencing the same thing too. Battling acne for 2 damn years. Tried everything and yet i still get breakouts. was quite depressed previously, until i started reading all the post... started to feel slightly positive now...

I started to have breakouts 2 years back... went to the doctor many times, was on antibiotic, cleared up my face for AWHILE, and it came back. on and off. I gave up on antibiotics because it made me so weak and dizzy that i couldnt concentrate on my work.

So i tried TCM, did acupuncture. Tried TCM till now.. breakouts still occur. Though it did help a bit.

Changed my diet 2 years back.. not taking any sugary food, spicy food etc. Do you know how much i miss eating ice-cream??

So i did acupuncture to keep my breakouts at bay. Finally, i was clear for 2 months. Only had 1 or 2 pimples during my menses. And BAM! i had a sudden breakout 2 weeks back. there were more than 10 pimples. I went to the doctor and took doxycyline. ok it did help.. he gave me a 2 weeks course. breakouts subsided.. but its not totally...

so i went to take a blood test.. doctor suspected that i have high estrogen level.. i have not seen my report yet.. still waiting though. and the doctor gave me a differin gel...

it's a tough and never ending battle...

Anyway just to share my story with you... because i can understand what you gals are going through.

I've gotten rid of most of the food in my house that are tempting and 'naughty' - butter (so I can't eat buttered bread)

*sigh* another victim of the low fat scam. This place is getting hard to stomach.