Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alex1992

Heads up on the "fruits as acne remedy"

Okayyyyyyyy

The search for the unforgivable cause of acne is always a pain in the a-s-s, but when people discover it MAY be because of their low fruit intake, they could be wrong. Note this may or may not be the case for you or you or you we're all different, we have different build, skin type blah blah blah etc etc.

Anyways when people are struck with this discovery, they'll immediately start eating all the fruit they can eat like a fat kid at a choco-factory going ape on all the sugary glory.

BUT WAIT!

What's up? Why isn't my acne going away? I've been chowing on a variety of fruits for months on end and still my acne is being a biyatch. In fact I think I've made it worst!!!!

Well as rich in vitamins and minerals fruits are, the underlying fact is that they're also loaded with sugar. "But wait, it's natural sugar!"

Natural sugar, artificial sugar, whatever the type, sugar is bad for acne.

I spoke to a doctor the other day and it turns out the sugar type "fructose" which is a natural sugar in fruits is just as bad as glucose, which is a type of sugar found in other junk. With that being said, don't just immediately dump fruits and stamp on it, calling it the devil! Just take into consideration the type of fruit you eat and how much of it you eat. Don't overload it, even if you believe that fruits are good for fighting against acne, because your body can only absorb so much nutrients and minerals, REMEMBER?! We are HUMAN.

Anyways, vegetables your best bet, but don't think that fruits are evil. Just be mindful that they contain sugar and may aggravate acne.

Vegetables on the other hand don't taste as sweet as fruit, but would be the safest option when it comes to skincare.

WATER too peoples!

Water is just awesome, drink as much as you can everyday and avoid other beverages i.e. soft drinks especially!! They're the DEVIL PEOPLEZZZ! And fatty foods! They're the devil also!

HA!

-Alex

For goodness sakes people I'm not saying fruit IS the cause of acne, I'm slinging it as a possibility to be taken into consideration. Read the bloody thing carefully!!!

Edited by Alex1992

i cut out fruits and all sugar over a week ago - my skin is clearing. today i had some fruit smoothies and WHAMMO. sugar as far as i'm concerned is acne. i'm following dr gabriel cousens phase 1 just now...

Regarding your last statement about "And fatty foods! They're the devil also!"

Not all fatty foods are bad. Good fats (in moderation) include nuts, olive oil, sesame oil, avocados, coconut oil, coconut milk, etc. The fats you want to steer clear of are processed like hydrogenated oils.

Your body needs fat and gives you that I feel full feeling. Simple carbs/sugars and processed fats are the foods to worry about.

What baffles me is all these "fat free" foods you see at the grocery store like low-fat yogurt, ice cream and salad dressings. Guess what they fill it with so it has flavor.... tons of sugar. I'd much rather eat a full fat food that fills me up, rather than an empty calorie low-fat food loaded with sugar.

I still think eating an apple is better than eating a cookie. But yeah, you do have to do it in moderation. I used to think eating 2-3 apples a day was a good thing, and for a certain time, it was, cuz my pimples seemed to disappear a lot faster overnight if I did. But now I'm back to 1 apple a day, cuz I realized too many could make me break out, even if it was just a tiny bit.

I couldn't imagine being off all fruit forever, I have too much of a sweet tooth and it takes me away from eating the really sugary desserts I used to like. But I'll still have pineapple and fruit juice. I like to balance it out with veggies though, cuz those are just as important.

I don't think you have too much of a grasp on the situation.

Fruits CAN be bad for acne, but it doesn't mean they always are. Yes, they contain natural sugars but they also contain lots of fiber that can prevent some of it from being absorbed. Veggies are indeed, better than fruit.

However, I've eaten TONS of fruit - including the sugary stuff, like bananas. Doesn't affect my skin. Period. Whether or not someone breaks out from fruit is going to be on a person to person basis.

Fat also probably isn't going to break you out unless it's that trans-fat from eating fried chicken or potato chips. A piece of fatty salmon, for example, isn't likely to cause flare ups unless you specifically have problems with protein or fat absorption for some reason.

Well I know exactly what you guys mean. The way they advertise things these days is ridiculous. The thing is though that the fat in dairy isn't very good for you in my opinion. I'm not one of those people who would go out and buy lowfat yoplait and be like "OMG ONLY 100 CALS". I just prefer to get my fats from other sources like mixing peanut butter into yogurt or flax seeds into it. With all that said I'm going to try and cut out dairy to see if it does anything for my acne so I guess this was pointless. I've been wondering lately why people listen to the media and deem fat as bad and remove it from their diet only to fill the void with endless processed sugar...hmm

This is crazy though the things we are supposed to avoid for acne. If I don't eat fruit or even limit my fruit intake, what would I eat? I don't even like meat much and all I have left after that is veggies. Nuts upset my stomach A LOT of the time although I still eat them and idk my face seems like a lost cause but yet I still work endlessly at this

Edited by CheyCheyenne

Well I know exactly what you guys mean. The way they advertise things these days is ridiculous. The thing is though that the fat in dairy isn't very good for you in my opinion. I'm not one of those people who would go out and buy lowfat yoplait and be like "OMG ONLY 100 CALS". I just prefer to get my fats from other sources like mixing peanut butter into yogurt or flax seeds into it. With all that said I'm going to try and cut out dairy to see if it does anything for my acne so I guess this was pointless. I've been wondering lately why people listen to the media and deem fat as bad and remove it from their diet only to fill the void with endless processed sugar...hmm

This is crazy though the things we are supposed to avoid for acne. If I don't eat fruit or even limit my fruit intake, what would I eat? I don't even like meat much and all I have left after that is veggies. Nuts upset my stomach A LOT of the time although I still eat them and idk my face seems like a lost cause but yet I still work endlessly at this

That's the thing I always wonder about people who follow very strict diets. It must be terribly depressing to eat meat all the time, eat only veggies, consume 80% fats and never touch a grain or whatever they do. I would try a diet patterned after a traditional culture before an exclusion diet (eat like the Japanese, or the Greeks, or the French, etc)

I went through a phase of "exclude grain, dairy, etc and micromanage nutrients and supplement to hell and back" before I had my enlightenment moment and realized that no one but culture deficient Americans and isolated tribes in the middle of nowhere actually eat like this. And that it's not required to eat like a caveman to be in good health.

Edited by Sahartar

I don't think you have too much of a grasp on the situation.

Fruits CAN be bad for acne, but it doesn't mean they always are. Yes, they contain natural sugars but they also contain lots of fiber that can prevent some of it from being absorbed. Veggies are indeed, better than fruit.

However, I've eaten TONS of fruit - including the sugary stuff, like bananas. Doesn't affect my skin. Period. Whether or not someone breaks out from fruit is going to be on a person to person basis.

Fat also probably isn't going to break you out unless it's that trans-fat from eating fried chicken or potato chips. A piece of fatty salmon, for example, isn't likely to cause flare ups unless you specifically have problems with protein or fat absorption for some reason.

I'm merely making a point to be taken into consideration amongst the many potential factors for acne. It's not necessarily aimed at an individual such as yourself per se. Like I mentioned this may or may not be the case for some, but the potential of it being a possible factor in regards to the cause of acne should be noted. If you eat tons of fruits and it doesn't affect your skin either beneficially or detrimentally then that's fantastic.

Regarding your last statement about "And fatty foods! They're the devil also!"

Not all fatty foods are bad. Good fats (in moderation) include nuts, olive oil, sesame oil, avocados, coconut oil, coconut milk, etc. The fats you want to steer clear of are processed like hydrogenated oils.

Your body needs fat and gives you that I feel full feeling. Simple carbs/sugars and processed fats are the foods to worry about.

What baffles me is all these "fat free" foods you see at the grocery store like low-fat yogurt, ice cream and salad dressings. Guess what they fill it with so it has flavor.... tons of sugar. I'd much rather eat a full fat food that fills me up, rather than an empty calorie low-fat food loaded with sugar.

In regards to acne, I most certainly hoped people on this forum would know what i mean by fatty foods. Of course not all fatty foods are bad for you :P You need a bit of everything in your diet, I'm not recommending you limit this or that in your diet I'm just raising awareness in people that the excessive consumption of fruits may be the underlying factor attributing to acne. What people wanna' eat is up to them. Consider the post as nutritional info.

too much of anything is bad for you, if you eat the recommended servings of fruit per day which is 2-3 servings this is fine, try and eat a variety of fruit though and not just the same ones all the time

I guess fruit, like most other foods, can be handled by a lot of people with acne, but not by everyone. I've read stories of people breaking out from fructose, just as I've read about a person who cleared up after becoming a fruitarian (eating nothing but fruit). I personally think that for most people it seems more important to cut out things like wheat, refined sugar, and dairy, but everyone's different.

I guess fruit, like most other foods, can be handled by a lot of people with acne, but not by everyone. I've read stories of people breaking out from fructose, just as I've read about a person who cleared up after becoming a fruitarian (eating nothing but fruit). I personally think that for most people it seems more important to cut out things like wheat, refined sugar, and dairy, but everyone's different.

I'd agree with that. I have heard (not seen) people have cleared just with fruits, in my experience fruit is hell on my skin. i only eat lemons and no fructose. i will after a month or so progress on to very very low GI fruits and see...