Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lightning Folly

Is there an effective alternative for BP out there?

So yeah, benzoyl peroxide is good at shrinking zits. No lie there.

But I just can't take the red marks that it leaves on my olive complexion. I am desperate to find an alternative spot treatment to use.

I have moderate acne. I seem to only get acne on my cheeks/jaw. My forehead and chin is normally clear. I also suffer from blackheads on my nose.

I've heard of using tea tree oil, and I love using salicylic acid. For my skin, salicylic acid treatments have worked best.

Any advice or products to try? Would straight antimicrobial cream work? (but there is the risk of microbial resistance)

It is becoming increasingly frustrating to battle this. I am considering just throwing everything aside and begging my parents to take me to a dermatologist.

PICTURE OF MY LEFT CHEEK. My right cheek looks better. You can really see the red marks (this is after I moisturized).

Edited by Lightning Folly

use a BP wash instead....similar results, but without the drying and redness. I use acnefree brand and it's worked great for me.

tea tree oil got rid of my red marks a lot faster than BP when i used it. i wouldn't say tea tree oil is as effective as BP is at preventing acne, because i had a little bit more activity when i was using it, but like i said, it would go away faster too. you might want to give it a try.

use a BP wash instead....similar results, but without the drying and redness. I use acnefree brand and it's worked great for me.

I think that sounds like a good idea, but BP and my skin just don't mix, so I'm trying to avoid it. I'm happy something works for you though! I wish I could use it.

tea tree oil got rid of my red marks a lot faster than BP when i used it. i wouldn't say tea tree oil is as effective as BP is at preventing acne, because i had a little bit more activity when i was using it, but like i said, it would go away faster too. you might want to give it a try.

I love natural remedies and I've heard good things about tea tree oil in concentrations of 5%. I'm probably going to see if I can get some. Right now I'm trying out calamine lotion. It is great for drying out acne but it doesn't really prevent new ones either.

are you allergic to BP? If you're applying the spot treatment for a prolonged period of time, then that may be what is causing the irritation. The longer you have it on the more dryness irritation there usually is, but with a wash it's hardly on you skin long enough to cause that, yet still has an antibacterial effect. You should try it, maybe it'll work for you too.

haha i don't know why you quoted me there, i didn't say anything about irritation. I just meant that tea tree oil got rid of my red marks faster than BP did. I didn't really get irritation.

not using anything like that on my face anymore, but thanks for the tip, and i'm glad somethings working for ya.

are you allergic to BP? If you're applying the spot treatment for a prolonged period of time, then that may be what is causing the irritation. The longer you have it on the more dryness irritation there usually is, but with a wash it's hardly on you skin long enough to cause that, yet still has an antibacterial effect. You should try it, maybe it'll work for you too.

No, not allergic. It dries up my acne quite well. But due to the fairness/natural dryness of my skin it makes post-acne red marks remain for a long time :redface: If I apply it like a spot treatment it shrinks my pimples, but leaves red pinpricks that stays for longer than if I did not use BP.

I really do need something for antibacterial help though. The calamine lotion is wonderful for the drying effect, but it doesn't prevent new acne. I might add some BP to my cleanser. I use Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar and I ADORE it. I think they could mix...? It seems logical, and I have 5% BP handy to give it a shot.

Edited by Lightning Folly

I also recommend tea tree oil. Here's what I do. First, go to cvs and pick up the aloe vera sensitive skin gel. It has no color added, no alcohol, and fragrance free. Then get some tea tree oil from walmart (they have it in the vitamin section) and mix two teaspoons of it in the aloe vera gel. That should make a 5% solution, or close to it.

I also recommend tea tree oil. Here's what I do. First, go to cvs and pick up the aloe vera sensitive skin gel. It has no color added, no alcohol, and fragrance free. Then get some tea tree oil from walmart (they have it in the vitamin section) and mix two teaspoons of it in the aloe vera gel. That should make a 5% solution, or close to it.

That sounds good. If my adding the 5% BP to my wash isn't working, I will try the tea tree oil idea for sure.

You need antibiotics for two to three months until you are clear (tetracycline). Then you stop that and follow a regimen with BP 2,5% or Tea tree oil. BP is more effective than TTO, but you can use a combination like morning BP then moisturizer ( just the right amount) then in the night TTO. You can also try the TTO soap.

I use Vita a Kombi 3 by Karin Herzog. It is so effective as a spot treatment and also helps fade red marks soo much faster! Its a little expensive but it lasts for so long and is really effective so its worth it! I also have acne similar to yours (mostly on my cheeks) and it has realy helped..

You might also consider something that has azelaic acid. There are prescription creams such as Finacea and Azelex and also a couple of OTC products (which aren't widely available, but can probably be ordered online). Azelaic acid is antibacterial, antiinflammatory, reduces red marks and helps unclog pores. Its a nice alternative if you can't use BPO. You use it all over your face, rather than as a spot treat. With daily use, it helps heal current acne, prevents new acne lesions from forming and reduces redness.

Finacea is prescription in most places, but is an OTC product in Australia. It can be legally ordered off of Australian pharmacy websites without having to have a prescription.