Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AB001

AHA Integration During The Regimen

I am a 32 year old male and have had mild/moderate acne for the last 16 years. I've been through every conceivable prescription treatment, with the lone exception of Accutane.

Ziana and Minocycline have been pretty effective over the last few years, but my acne has gotten significantly worse over the last 6+ months - I'm guessing this occurred based on immunity I've developed to the antibiotics. I've frequented this site for quite some time, but I only began the regimen (with all DKR products) about two weeks ago. In the interest of avoiding a jinx of my progress, I'm choosing not to update on how it is going.

I will say, however, that I am having a minor flaking issue. It should be noted that I am already using a full finger's length of BP, as I have a pretty solid existing tolerance to BP. While I will certainly choose flakiness over active acne, my corporate face-to-face relationship management/business development career is not exactly conducive to having flakes all over my face. I will be ordering DK's Jojoba with my next shipment, so I'm hoping that will have a positive effect.

My questions at this time are regarding the incorporation of AHA into The Regimen after a few more weeks of becoming acclimated to this amount of BP. After significant searching, I've been unable to clearly determine whether the AHA is to be applied over the BP as a moisturizer. I was able to find an older post by DK indicating that AHA can possibly be an alternative to BP in the morning (for those with lighter cases of acne).

Can someone please lend some knowledge to answer the following questions?

1.) Is AHA to be applied over BP as a substitute to moisturizing?

2.) How long shall I remain on The Regimen (once I'm completely clear) before I attempt to substitute AHA alone as a morning alternative? (By the way, I have been cleansing for the last 1.5 years with 2% SA, so I assume I do already have some tolerance for AHA).

Any assistance would greatly appreciated.

Once you've been on The Regimen for about a month and your skin has had time to adjust to the full amount of BP, you can try adding the AHA in.

I recommend starting out using it two or three times a week in place of your regular moisturizer (as the last step). If, after a few weeks, your skin seems to be handling it well, you can try using it more often. I don't recommend using it more than once a day, since it's possible to over-exfoliate and irritate your skin.

As far as using the AHA in place of the BP in the morning, that's up to you. Definitely wait until you're good and clear before making any changes to The Regimen.

Some people can stay clear using the BP only once a day, but when Dan tried using the AHA in the morning instead of using BP twice a day, he started breaking out again, so you kind of just have to judge that one for yourself.

And, of course, be sure to use sunscreen for at least a week after any AHA use, since AHA can make your skin more prone to burning.

Hope that helps. ; )

Once you've been on The Regimen for about a month and your skin has had time to adjust to the full amount of BP, you can try adding the AHA in.

I recommend starting out using it two or three times a week in place of your regular moisturizer (as the last step). If, after a few weeks, your skin seems to be handling it well, you can try using it more often. I don't recommend using it more than once a day, since it's possible to over-exfoliate and irritate your skin.

As far as using the AHA in place of the BP in the morning, that's up to you. Definitely wait until you're good and clear before making any changes to The Regimen.

Some people can stay clear using the BP only once a day, but when Dan tried using the AHA in the morning instead of using BP twice a day, he started breaking out again, so you kind of just have to judge that one for yourself.

And, of course, be sure to use sunscreen for at least a week after any AHA use, since AHA can make your skin more prone to burning.

Hope that helps. ; )

Yes, that definitely helps. Thank you very much for your insight!