Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pogsensei

Help Tweak My Regimen Please? :)

Hello MUA!!

I am 24-year-old man, and I have struggled with acne since I was 12. I have recently been able to tame my acne with Epiduo and low-carbohydrate dieting. However, I still have a couple of issues, and I would really appreciate your help. Here is my skincare regimen:

Morning

Cleanse with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Moisturize with Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 and a drop or two of jojoba oil

Night

Apply Epiduo

My concerns:

1) After cleansing, my face feels tight, and if I try to crack a smile I end up cracking my skin as well. Thus, I feel the need to moisturize. The Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer is nice because it has suncscreen, but after applying it I get a bit flaky and must use jojoba oil with it. Then, towards the middle of the day my skin gets very oily. The shine doesn't stop until I cleanse again at night. Is there a different cleanser I can use that won't dry me out as much? Or is there a different moisturizer I can use that won't shine me out as much?

2) Epiduo is great stuff. The few times that I have felt like I may be able to "outgrow my acne" and discontinued the use of my Epiduo, my acne has come back with a vengeance. So Epiduo is here to stay for now. However, I have found that I am beginning to develop wrinkles under my eyes. I believe that this is from the drying effects of the Epiduo. Should I moisturize at night as well? Is there an eye cream I should invest in?

Thank you!

Poggy

Moved from the Acne.org regimen to Prescription Retinoids forum; this isn't about the Acne.org regimen. It most closely fits in with Retinoid treatments.

MUA? :P

You can apply a tad of petroleum jelly around your eyes prior to applying the epiduo. That will help keep the Epiduo from getting near the tender eye skin and drying it out.

The Cetaphil cleanser is fine; it's extremely gentle. It's the Epiduo that's causing the flaking. Continue to moisturize and use jojoba oil. You might want to try blotting the oil during the day to avoid the shine. You could even check through cosmetics and style to see if there are some oil blotting powders you might wish to try (even though you're a guy).

Hello MUA!!

I am 24-year-old man, and I have struggled with acne since I was 12. I have recently been able to tame my acne with Epiduo and low-carbohydrate dieting. However, I still have a couple of issues, and I would really appreciate your help. Here is my skincare regimen:

Morning

Moisturize with Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 and a drop or two of jojoba oil

Night

Apply Epiduo

My concerns:

1) After cleansing, my face feels tight, and if I try to crack a smile I end up cracking my skin as well. Thus, I feel the need to moisturize. The Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer is nice because it has suncscreen, but after applying it I get a bit flaky and must use jojoba oil with it. Then, towards the middle of the day my skin gets very oily. The shine doesn't stop until I cleanse again at night. Is there a different cleanser I can use that won't dry me out as much? Or is there a different moisturizer I can use that won't shine me out as much?

Thank you!

Poggy

Try Face Reality Acne clinic moisturizers, the best moisturizers I've ever used. It is a bit pricey but it won't leave you flaky and I've been clear using it for about 6 months now. I use the one with SPF30 in it. It is a low shine formula as well, I don't get shiny at all. I know where you're coming from I've tried many different moisturizers. Hope this helps!

Tan

Hi I found the best way to get rid of flakes is to use a damp wash cloth or makeup remover cloths and use small circular motions to gently exfoliate skin. Also, by rubbing bare fingers on top on skin is small circular motions while standing under the shower. Coconut oil also works well on flaky skin.

Paula's Choice Balancing Toner has really helped me with that tight feeling after I wash my face. You can get samples on the website to try it out and it's not that expensive.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/skin-b...ng-toner/toners

Also, I'm afraid spf 15 isn't a high enough spf the sun could be adding irritation to your skin and thus more flaking. I use a tinted suncreen from eminence but it's kinda makeup-y. You might want to research a suncreen that's at least 30spf.

http://www.eminenceorganics.com/products/index.php?paid=90

I haven't found anything (primer, pills, face wash ) Nothing to help me with the oily skin but FaceSecrets blotting sheets are some of the best I've tried and they'll fit in a pant pocket. I found them at Sally's or they're probably on line.

Hope this helps.

not sure how much of these products you are using, but especially the epiduo you want to be light on the application rather than over do it.

also it seems you just started the epiduo treatment so stick with it for the long term.

diet is very important too so make sure you drink water throughout the day to help keep the skin hydrated from the inside.

ask your dermatologist what would be a good moisturizer to wear during night time.

and find something with spf 30 or higher for daytime use. for the areas that are really shiny during the day, use less of the jojoba oil for that area til you find a balance.

give it some time til you find what amounts work best for you. it will happen.

good luck.