Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

List of most common food sensitivities & Floating Stool Test

Hi, regarding Joris' question about insurance coverage, my internist highlighted the chronic hives (urticaria) to get my insurance coverage to cover at least part of the cost. My hives had gotten very bad in addition to my other skin issues. I had been to an allergist 3 years earlier, and he had discerned I was allergic to salicylates (advil, aspirin, certain foods), and I had never had another advil again. But the hives ultimately got worse, and my internist agreed to food intolerance testing as the next step. I've been very disciplined about eliminating everything that they told me to eliminate except coffee, which I'm still 'working on.' But I did eliminate eggs, basil, mushrooms, barley, squash and sweet potato 100%. And all of my skin issues are better, truly, thank goodness. :)

That is great to hear it helped. :) I am very excited to try food sensivitivity testing via blood test. The stool test worked so well, but the lab is still in the process of expanding the list of foods.

I called and scheduled with ALCAT last week, and then thought I'd try the MRT test. I'm pretty excited ;).

I think I might like to look into this while I'm doing the liver cleanse... maybe I can relieve my acne.

How do you get the MRT done? I went on the LEAP site and couldnt find anything about where or how you get it done....

There's a couple different ways to get it done. You can find a naturopath and get it through him or if your GP is cool, you can have him/her order it for you.

Depending on your condition and insurance, you might get part of it covered.

The prices I've seen from most holistic docs is anywhere between $250-350.

Just my two cents on this issue; I believe food sensitivities in most cases are a symptom of a larger issue. Once you find the cause and fix that, your food sensitivity will disappear as well. I realize this isn't ALWAYS the case, but more so than not I think it is.

To me its clear that Dotty is suffering from a chronic yeast over-growth, I believe she even said she had it when she was younger. Address the yeast and she'll be doing much much better.

PANIC

Naturopaths go to www.NowLEAP.com to get the MRT test because NowLEAP is the only lab in the country which offers the MRT test (they invented it). You can order the test by calling the phone number listed on their website at the bottom of the front page.

Although they do offer a few tests for about $350, I believe most comprehensive tests is about $500.

Panic, I do agree with you that many food sensitivities probably stem from some underlying cause or problem within the body (although I'm not sure about the genetic Celiac Disease). As soon as I can find my food sensitivities and stop the acne so that I can enjoy life a bit, I would definitely turn my attention to health problems you mentioned above. :)

Hi, regarding Joris' question about insurance coverage, my internist highlighted the chronic hives (urticaria) to get my insurance coverage to cover at least part of the cost. My hives had gotten very bad in addition to my other skin issues. I had been to an allergist 3 years earlier, and he had discerned I was allergic to salicylates (advil, aspirin, certain foods), and I had never had another advil again. But the hives ultimately got worse, and my internist agreed to food intolerance testing as the next step. I've been very disciplined about eliminating everything that they told me to eliminate except coffee, which I'm still 'working on.' But I did eliminate eggs, basil, mushrooms, barley, squash and sweet potato 100%. And all of my skin issues are better, truly, thank goodness. :)

That is great to hear it helped. :) I am very excited to try food sensivitivity testing via blood test. The stool test worked so well, but the lab is still in the process of expanding the list of foods.

I called and scheduled with ALCAT last week, and then thought I'd try the MRT test. I'm pretty excited ;).

I think I might like to look into this while I'm doing the liver cleanse... maybe I can relieve my acne.

How do you get the MRT done? I went on the LEAP site and couldnt find anything about where or how you get it done....

There's a couple different ways to get it done. You can find a naturopath and get it through him or if your GP is cool, you can have him/her order it for you.

Depending on your condition and insurance, you might get part of it covered.

The prices I've seen from most holistic docs is anywhere between $250-350.

Just my two cents on this issue; I believe food sensitivities in most cases are a symptom of a larger issue. Once you find the cause and fix that, your food sensitivity will disappear as well. I realize this isn't ALWAYS the case, but more so than not I think it is.

To me its clear that Dotty is suffering from a chronic yeast over-growth, I believe she even said she had it when she was younger. Address the yeast and she'll be doing much much better.

PANIC

I agree with you, this is why I'm addressing my liver issues... I know for a fact that it's been clogged up for years trying to process the fake hormones I've been taking from the BCP. However, if I can relieve my acne in the mean time by cutting out some foods... that would be awesome.

Dotty, thanks for letting me know about the phone number, I'll have to go looking for it. Let us know how your testing goes when you get it done! :)

Hi, regarding the candida issue, more than 15 years ago I realized that I was contending with one yeast infection after the other. In response I gave up bread, pizza, pretzels, crackers and beer in 1995. The only cheat on the bread is an occasional 'pita-wich.' I probably have less yeast in my system than anyone else in Virginia :). But I still have mild-to-moderate acne, and have had mild rosacea, and have had severe hives, so all of these realizations and changes-in-response are all excellent steps in the right direction I believe, but I don't believe any step in isolation is the 'magic cure.'

The side benefit of giving up bread, pizza, pretzels, crackers and beer = I'm one skinny broad! :)

Hi, regarding the candida issue, more than 15 years ago I realized that I was contending with one yeast infection after the other. In response I gave up bread, pizza, pretzels, crackers and beer in 1995. The only cheat on the bread is an occasional 'pita-wich.' I probably have less yeast in my system than anyone else in Virginia :). But I still have mild-to-moderate acne, and have had mild rosacea, and have had severe hives, so all of these realizations and changes-in-response are all excellent steps in the right direction I believe, but I don't believe any step in isolation is the 'magic cure.'

The side benefit of giving up bread, pizza, pretzels, crackers and beer = I'm one skinny broad! :)

But you still didn't account for the toxic inner environment which let the yeast grow out of control. A good anti-yeast diet doesn't just cut out refined carbs, it cuts out all sugar. It also involves internal cleansing, healing and repairing the gut and creating an environment where the fungi morph back into their harmless form.

Also how long did you go on this diet for? Most people don't up their healthy fats to account for the low carbs and feel miserable, in effect quitting too soon.

If you do have a yeast issue, being on this diet for at least 3-6 months would be necessary to see good results depending on the severity of your situation.

PANIC

Panic, would an anti-candida detox kit (with anti-candida pills) help someone get all the yeasts out of their system? Or am I massively confused. :wacko:

Edited by Dotty1

Panic, would an anti-candida detox kit (with anti-candida pills) help someone get all the yeasts out of their system? Or am I massively confused. :wacko:

haha!! Its a learning curve....

The biggest thing with candida in my opinion is to adhere to a very strict diet, use natural anti-fungals and detox the body to help build up the immune system. Supplementing with anti-oxidants, getting regular exercise are also crucial to healing.

I wish it was as easy as taking some pills, but the reality is it isn't. Most people don't have the discipline to stick to the diet long term.

I'm hitting the 3 month mark this week and completely cleared my sudden cystic acne a month ago. I'm detoxing now and then will slowly re-introduce some foods into my diet. I'm very optimistic that this whole routine will heal my gut, put the candida back in check and get rid of the food sensitivities I was suddenly experiencing earlier this year.

If you want more info PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.

PANIC

How each test works:

ALCAT examines how the white blood cells separate from the blood plasma while in the presence of food triggers. On the other hand, the MRT test measures how much histamine is released from the individual white blood cells.

But the ALCAT tests for a marker that is the end result of all kinds of reactions besides allergies. There is more to a reaction than histamine.

How each test works:

ALCAT examines how the white blood cells separate from the blood plasma while in the presence of food triggers. On the other hand, the MRT test measures how much histamine is released from the individual white blood cells.

But the ALCAT tests for a marker that is the end result of all kinds of reactions besides allergies. There is more to a reaction than histamine.

If you know more about either of these tests, post everything you know! I've been searching for information for 3 weeks now. The ALCAT lab has a phone number where they answer all consumer questions.

Edited by Dotty1

How each test works:

If you know more about either of these tests, post everything you know! I've been searching for information for 3 weeks now. The ALCAT lab has a phone number where they answer all consumer questions.

Click on the links to the threads I posted days ago. Or on the link below and go to the allergy and Food intolerance section: Good Things for Acne

Edited by alternativista

Maybe this is a stupid question but...would you say the floating stool test is an adequate test of whether or not a person has food sensitivities? I have been watching my poo ever since the day this thread began, and it has not floated at all, sinks completely. Just wondering if this is sufficient, because I have been considering getting one of the sensitivity/allergy tests done that you mentioned.

Maybe this is a stupid question but...would you say the floating stool test is an adequate test of whether or not a person has food sensitivities? I have been watching my poo ever since the day this thread began, and it has not floated at all, sinks completely. Just wondering if this is sufficient, because I have been considering getting one of the sensitivity/allergy tests done that you mentioned.

LOL I've been watching too, and mine has been sinking too. I'm cutting out tomatoes for a while and it's making me nervous that I'm sensitive to them :(.

In the stool test, you must remember to eat large amounts of 1-2 foods for two days.

Small amounts of trigger foods do not change my stools. But, when I consume a large amount of one particular trigger food, I will have an unmistakable delayed allergic reaction the next day: my stools will float, old pimples will become re-infected, I may have headaches, I'll have severe stomach cramps or my joints will feel cemented.

For example:

I can eat slices of tomatoes on burgers or an entire tomato in a salad with no apparent symptoms. My stools will sink. BUT, when I eat 3 entire tomatoes, the next day I develop SEVERE cramps and floating diarrhea. Small pimples on my face will become extremely infected. Yet my siblings can eat that many tomatoes without any symptoms at all.

Another example:

Last year I didn't do my shopping and so I ate 5 potatoes in one day. The next day, I experienced stiff joints, a stiff neck, extreme fatigue and headaches. I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. I was experiencing solanine sensitivity and symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, inflammation, stiffness in the joints, migraines and weakness/fatigue. I can't remember if my acne flared up or if my stools floated, but I was *sick*. On the other hand, my roommates can eat 5 potatoes in one day just fine.

Because tomatoes and potatoes are nightshades and both contain solanines, I suspect I have a solanine sensitivity which is actually not uncommon. Other sensitivities can be to salicylates or amines (found in avocados, bananas).

I now plan on using this technique for many more foods. For example, yesterday was "banana day" and today I am just fine. ;) It appears bananas are a safe food for my body ;).

Edited by Dotty1

In the stool test, you must remember to eat large amounts of 1-2 foods for two days.

Small amounts of trigger foods do not change my stools. But, when I consume a large amount of one particular trigger food, I will have an unmistakable delayed allergic reaction the next day: my stools will float, old pimples will become re-infected, I'll have severe stomach cramps or my joints will feel cemented.

For example:

I can eat slices of tomatoes on burgers or an entire tomato in a salad with no apparent symptoms. My stools will sink. BUT, when I eat 3 entire tomatoes, the next day I develop SEVERE cramps and floating diarrhea. Small pimples on my face will become extremely infected. Yet my siblings can eat that many tomatoes without any symptoms at all.

Another example:

Last year I didn't do my shopping and so I ate 5 potatoes in one day. The next day, I experienced stiff joints, a stiff neck, extreme fatigue and headaches. I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. I was experiencing solanine sensitivity and symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, inflammation, stiffness in the joints, migraines and weakness/fatigue. I can't remember if my acne flared up or if my stools floated, but I was *sick*. On the other hand, my roommates can eat 5 potatoes in one day just fine.

Because tomatoes and potatoes are nightshades and both contain solanines, I suspect I have a solanine sensitivity which is actually not uncommon. Other sensitivities can be to salicylates or amines (found in avocados, bananas).

I now plan on using this technique for many more foods. For example, yesterday was "banana day" and today I am just fine. ;) It appears bananas are a safe food for my body ;).

OH wow... both bananas and avocados make me break out! I found that out right when I first started cutting certain things out. Avocados especially... I get BIG ones. When I look back to when I was clear I ate a lot of tomatoes though.... hmmmm.... not sure about that one.

Lately I've been testing almonds... I've been eating everything almond haha.

OH wow... both bananas and avocados make me break out! I found that out right when I first started cutting certain things out. Avocados especially... I get BIG ones. When I look back to when I was clear I ate a lot of tomatoes though.... hmmmm.... not sure about that one.

Lately I've been testing almonds... I've been eating everything almond haha.

I read that if you test tomatoes, you should eat them raw. That was the only way I discovered that I have a delayed (but severe) reaction. I read that cooking can denature the compounds within the tomato and therefore you can't really tell whether solanines really affect you.

If you think you might be sensitive to amines, you should research "amine sensitivity symptoms bananas avocados" for more information. There are other foods that contain amines.

And, just for your information, there are three types of food sensitivities which are found in groups of foods: Solanines, Amines and Salicylates. You might enjoy reading about the symptoms of each to see if you ever experience such symptoms.

Good luck :)

Edited by Dotty1

It is also important to note if the stool is well-formed. This can be tricky because sometimes it may appear that the stool is well-formed, but if the water is disturbed (by lightly wiggling the flushing handle), the stool can fall apart into "dust" -- even though it is sinking.

This just happened to me.

This is either because I spent a day eating bananas bananas and a day eating potatoes. We shall see... the mystery continues...

Edited by Dotty1

Dotty what do you think about this meathod of testing for food sensitivities? I copied the info from a nathuropathic center's website here where I live.

Electrodermal Sensitivity Testing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The body is an electrical system with all 50 trillion plus cells governed largely by electrical differences occurring between individual cells and our external environment.

Modern Biophysics has shown that cells resonate at certain frequencies and have radio-like transmitting and receiving properties that allow cells to inter-communicate and control biological and chemical systems in the body.

As healthy harmonic cells resonate at a very different

frequency to that of unhealthy cells, the doctors at CCNM use a specialized non-invasive form of electrical resonance testing known as BioResonance or electrodermal testing in order to identify possible cellular imbalances or stressors that may be affecting the body’s electrical system.

These stressors may include:

Addictions: to food, alcohol, chemicals, nicotine, emotion

Allergies/sensitivities: to healthy food, fats, sugars, alcohol, chemicals, heavy metals (mercury etc), environmental inhaled substances (pollens, grass, petrol etc.)

Asthma, Hay Fever, skin problems

Hormonal imbalances: Resulting in possible weight problems, menstrual and menopausal issues

Psycho-immunology: Illness and stressed conditions where the primary cause lies in some past emotional, mental or physical trauma that the person has never fully recovered from

HOW DOES ELECTRODERMAL TESTING WORK?

Electrodermal testing has been used successfully in Europe since 1953, originating with the German Electro-Acupuncture technique as developed by Dr. Reinhold Voll.

The procedure involves measuring potential differences (voltage) between a tip electrode held against an acupuncture point and a large surface electrode (hand electrode) held by the patient. The resultant resistance is then measured.

The EAV test technique is founded on the theory of acupuncture. EAV has shown that acupuncture points bear a direct relationship to a specific anatomical structure or physiological function of the body. Some of the doctors at CCNM will use the classical EAV testing with new computer technology, while others use a variation of the technique known as Vegetative Reflex testing.

In 1978, Dr. Helmut Schimmel originated the Vegetative Reflex Test (V.R.T.) or VEGATEST- Method; which is the culmination of 35 years of German electro-acupuncture development. Vegetative Reflex Test is a so-called Bio-Energetic Regulatory technique (BER). BER records the bio-electric potential of a person and is capable of revealing functional or so-called energetic disorders. With the VEGATEST- Method, only a few points (vs. hundreds with EAV) are used. The system is based on measuring against special test ampoules rather than organ-linked acupuncture points themselves. With each skin measurement point, the response of the person to the test ampoules results in a "yes or no" reading.

If you have specific substances you would like tested (I.E. foods, your pet’s hair, laundry detergent, etc.) please bring them to your initial appointment in a plastic bag.

Tdot, I did use a similar form of testing 4 years ago at a naturopath's office. Each clinic puts electrodes on different areas of the body. For me, they put electrodes on my head, around my ankles and on my fingers.

The explained to me that it was invented by a German doctor, that it could sense my emotions and tell me my allergies. At the time, I was suspicious that I had Celiac Disease, but after I was hooked up to the "vibration-reading" machine, they assured me I did not have Celiac Disease. I spent over $700. They also told me I was sensitive to a list of various foods -- I stopped eating them with no results. Finally, this year I discovered I AM Celiac and I am HIGHLY sensitive to tomatoes.

My best friend also had several appointments with that vibration-reading machine. They didn't catch her severe allergy to tomatoes and her health did not improve while on the "safe" foods.

If I had to suggest a test, I would suggest EnteroLab and/or LEAP testing. One is a blood test and the other is a stool test.

www.EnteroLab.com

www.NowLEAP.com

Edited by Dotty1

I can not believe that I found this website and these posts! I am sensitive to wheat, and when I eat it I am miserable within 48 hours. Cystic acne all over my face, my neck breaks out, and I itch all over my arms and legs. No one believes me but my husband and my kids. Everyone else says that I am nuts and that eating a certain food can not cause acne. Well, I know that for me, it does. (It has hit a point that my 7 year old can look at me and say "Mom, what did you eat?")

I originally went to an ear, nose and throat specialist for chronic sinus issues (which also cleared up with removing wheat from my diet) and he told me he thought I should have blood drawn for food allergies. I thought he was a quack when he told me the things it would help, my skin included. But after a particularly bad episode I decide it was free to eliminate, so what did I have to lose? Within a week, my skin no longer hurt. When I eat wheat it is like a chemical burn from my forehead to my shoulders, and I actually used to think that's what it was, simply from using too much topicals. Then within about a week, i start peeling,and drying up, yet the acne is still there, so I hesitated to use moisturizers. It was always red, and always hurt. Now, as long as I don't take any wheat in I am clearer than I have been for 20 years. And if I inadvertently eat something with wheat in it, like a soup or seasoning of some sort, i know within 24 hours and break out within 48.

Insurance did not cover my blood tests, and I am not sure which specific test was actually done, however I know the lab was in New York state, and they tested for 8 of the common foods that cause problems, and then the dietician discussed my regular diet and added 4 more foods that I regularly ate to the list. It cost $125. When I think of the money that I wasted on other stuff trying to solve the problem, that is nothing!

I just had to post that I believe what everyone is saying, and how nice it is to hear a conversation between people that are saying what I have been trying to say for a year now!

I can not believe that I found this website and these posts! I am sensitive to wheat, and when I eat it I am miserable within 48 hours. Cystic acne all over my face, my neck breaks out, and I itch all over my arms and legs. No one believes me but my husband and my kids. Everyone else says that I am nuts and that eating a certain food can not cause acne. Well, I know that for me, it does. (It has hit a point that my 7 year old can look at me and say "Mom, what did you eat?")

I originally went to an ear, nose and throat specialist for chronic sinus issues (which also cleared up with removing wheat from my diet) and he told me he thought I should have blood drawn for food allergies. I thought he was a quack when he told me the things it would help, my skin included. But after a particularly bad episode I decide it was free to eliminate, so what did I have to lose? Within a week, my skin no longer hurt. When I eat wheat it is like a chemical burn from my forehead to my shoulders, and I actually used to think that's what it was, simply from using too much topicals. Then within about a week, i start peeling,and drying up, yet the acne is still there, so I hesitated to use moisturizers. It was always red, and always hurt. Now, as long as I don't take any wheat in I am clearer than I have been for 20 years. And if I inadvertently eat something with wheat in it, like a soup or seasoning of some sort, i know within 24 hours and break out within 48.

Insurance did not cover my blood tests, and I am not sure which specific test was actually done, however I know the lab was in New York state, and they tested for 8 of the common foods that cause problems, and then the dietician discussed my regular diet and added 4 more foods that I regularly ate to the list. It cost $125. When I think of the money that I wasted on other stuff trying to solve the problem, that is nothing!

I just had to post that I believe what everyone is saying, and how nice it is to hear a conversation between people that are saying what I have been trying to say for a year now!

I'm so happy for you!!! I'm so glad you found what was causing your breakouts... I know how you feel about people not believing you about food causing acne. I get SOOO many people rolling their eyes at me saying I'm making it up or that I'm crazy. I actually got into a fight with my mom about it once... it got SOO heated that I ended up throwing a plate at her head, luckily I missed. I get way too upset when people dont believe me, I should just stop caring, but it's hard. Anyway congrats on figuring out the acn puzzle :). Now if only dermatologists would get in on it... you should go to one and tell them what helpedyour skin. I'm going to to my doctor that diet has helped my skin.

Dotty,

Thank-you for sharing your experience with me! I wont waste my money on that tesing! I'm going to try and get the one from nowleap.... dont know how I'm going to do it yet, butI'll figure it out. I'm willing to pay for somethign that's going to change my life.

Do you know for sure it is wheat? Or could it be the gluten within the wheat? Have you read about Celiac Disease/gluten sensitivity?

The diagnosis of gluten sensitivity is becoming more and more common. Some researchers claim it is as high as 20% of the population.

I also can't eat the gluten in wheat. Within 24 hours I experience overwhelming fatigue and I cry alot. Other people have asthma when they eat gluten. Another person might experience clinical depression.

I wonder if you have Dermatitis Herpetiformis. It is an extremely itchy rash made of bumps and blisters and it is the signature of Celiac Disease/gluten sensitivity. Do you have this? https://health.google.com/health/ref/Dermat...s+herpetiformis

Here are the 300 symptoms of Celiac Disease: http://glutenfreeworks.com/gluten-disorder.../symptom-guide/

See if you have any of those symptoms :). Good luck!!

Edited by Dotty1

I also can't eat the gluten in wheat. Within 24 hours I experience overwhelming fatigue and I cry alot. Other people have asthma when they eat gluten. Another person might experience clinical depression.

Are watering eyes also symptom of gluten sensitivity?

Last time I consumed gluten (beer) I also experienced bad fatigue that made no sense 2-3 days after it.

Now that you've mentioned it, yes. :think:

When I was at the height of my gluten sensitivity, I kept complaining about watery eyes.

I lived with watery eyes for years. When I watched TV, it always looked like I was crying. The doctors said it was a hormone problem. Then I took hormone tests and they all said I was fine. Later I learned that gluten sensitivity activates a multitude of health problems and resembles hormone problems, skin diseases, you name it.

And now that you mention it, my eyes have not been watery at all since I have been on a gluten-free diet (6 months). It just went away.

Also, it could be a yeast sensitivity since yeast is in beer. Many gluten-sensitive individuals also have a yeast sensitivity. You might want to try eliminating both for awhile.

Good luck!

Edited by Dotty1

Do you know for sure it is wheat? Or could it be the gluten within the wheat? Have you read about Celiac Disease/gluten sensitivity?

The diagnosis of gluten sensitivity is becoming more and more common. Some researchers claim it is as high as 20% of the population.

I wonder if you have Dermatitis Herpetiformis. It is an extremely itchy rash made of bumps and blisters and it is the signature of Celiac Disease/gluten sensitivity. Do you have this?

Here are the 300 symptoms of Celiac Disease:

See if you have any of those symptoms :). Good luck!!

Thank you for responding back to my post and for tossing other ideas out there. But to answer your questions, I know that it is wheat, not gluten that causes my issues. I can eat rye and barley without a problem, and have paid very close attention to what causes my outbreaks, going so far as to keep an actual journal of foods and symptoms when I first started to realize that maybe the doctor had a clue...

I frequent Celiac websites and forums simply because gluten free recipes/foods are a lot easier to find than wheat free, so I am quite educated on the symptoms of celiac disease. Thank you though for tossing that out there as another possibility. I have learned to never be closed minded about the possibilities....I would have never learned my answer if I had been!

Also, it could be a yeast sensitivity since yeast is in beer. Many gluten-sensitive individuals also have a yeast sensitivity. You might want to try eliminating both for awhile.

I don't think it the yeast. I tried dry cider that is also fermented with yeast and I have no problems with it. Also I never saw difference between filtered / unfiltered beer.

Even easier test will be trying unfiltered cider which will definitely have yeast in it. Or eating some yeast of course but I'm quite sure that it's the gluten. Also at least 2 of my uncles have celiac disease.