Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Placeholder_

Minocylin absorption and zinc/calcium

Hey guys,

My derm recently upped my dosage of minocylin to 100 mg twice daily, and after doing some reading, I discovered that zinc and calcium supplements can impair the absorption of the drug.

Since I take zinc, as well as a multivitamin with calcium in it, I was wondering whether or not it would be enough to wait a few a hours after taking minocylin to take the supplements, or whether I should just stop taking it while I am on the drug?

Thanks.

Certainly it is better not to mix. I never took minocylin but I guess you take it stomach empty hopefully with lots of water. So if you take that morning and night, then in midday you can take some probiotics and perhaps the vitamins.

But remember, take the right amount of vitamins, day on day off for instance, because your body just process what he needs, the rest go somewhere else. About the antibiotic, I don't know the severity of your acne, but low dosis do not help. When you strike, you strike hard.

ASk your doctor why 100mg. When I took tetracycline, I took 500mg twice a day then I reduce to 250mg.

Edited by Corsair

Hey guys,

My derm recently upped my dosage of minocylin to 100 mg twice daily, and after doing some reading, I discovered that zinc and calcium supplements can impair the absorption of the drug.

Since I take zinc, as well as a multivitamin with calcium in it, I was wondering whether or not it would be enough to wait a few a hours after taking minocylin to take the supplements, or whether I should just stop taking it while I am on the drug?

Thanks.

Take the antibiotics at least two hours before the zinc/calcium. If you've taken the zinc/calcium already, wait four hours before taking the antibiotic. I believe those are the correct waiting times if memory serves. Same for meals. Antibiotics two hours before a meal with a full glass of water OR four hours after a meal with a full glass of water.

Taking the pills (all of them!) with a full glass of water will help ensure that the tablet makes its proper way down the esophagus and won't cause esophageal erosions; those can be nasty to have!