Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loganoo

Is Retin-A good as a spot treatment?

If I have a few pimples here and there, some of which won't come to a head, can I use retin-a as a spot treatment on them to help them go away?

Don't really see the need to apply it to the whole face....

I am currently using Differin. I don't think that topical retinoids make the best on-the-spot treatment. They work by reducing the time it takes for your skin to turn-over and it can take months to see the full effect. However, if you only ever get the pimples in one area I see your point about not wanting to apply it to the rest of your face. Have you tried other things like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid as they might be better for treating the individual pimples? I used to use a clinique acne solutions spot healing gel which has salicylic acid in it. It used to bring the pimple out and help it heal faster.

I second the Clinque Spot Healing Gel w/ 2% S.A. and RetinA should be used all over the face to get the full benefits.

Also, you could try Tea Tree oil for spot treatment. I usually apply it as a diluted toner like 1/2 water 1/2 oil all over my face then hold then cotton pad on any pimple for like 10, 20, 30 seconds whatever you want. Do that 2x a day and it should help.

Retin A does not work and is not intended to be used as a spot treatment. I don't think it would help much. I would use something else, or just put it on your whole face.