Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rivercat

White flakes in pores

I'm sure this isn't a new topic...but I just don't know what to do anymore...

I've tried BHA to clear out my pores. All it does is dry me out. It seems like everything dries out my skin, even just using Dan's Cleanser. When I lay off the BHA for a few days, the dryness and flakiness lessens, but it's still there. I usually just splash water on my face after my shower and that keeps it down. Then I'll drink a few cups of water and then I can deal. But like today, it's been a while since I've used BHA so my skin hasnt been that dry, but now at work the light in the bathroom is very bright and I noticed like EVERY single pore has a little white flake sticking out of it. I remember this problem even when I was still on Dan's Regimen over a year ago. My skin is clear, but my pores seem very congested. I am so sick of trying all this shit on my face and non of it brining me the results I need.

I can't use BHA more than twice a week because my skin will be dry everyday. I use PC's Moisture Hydration Boost toner thingy and it does nothing for the dryness. What the hell is out there that will keep my pores clean and clear and not dry the rest of my skin up? Should I just stick to Purpose Cleanser and a store bought Moisturizer? Is there an oral medication I can take to end this? Should I go back to my derm and talk to him about his?

But a better question is WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?! I think I'm just gonna go back to what I washed with in middle school...Noxema. At least my skin was smooth and even looking then. :/

I'm sure this isn't a new topic...but I just don't know what to do anymore...

I've tried BHA to clear out my pores. All it does is dry me out. It seems like everything dries out my skin, even just using Dan's Cleanser. When I lay off the BHA for a few days, the dryness and flakiness lessens, but it's still there. I usually just splash water on my face after my shower and that keeps it down. Then I'll drink a few cups of water and then I can deal. But like today, it's been a while since I've used BHA so my skin hasnt been that dry, but now at work the light in the bathroom is very bright and I noticed like EVERY single pore has a little white flake sticking out of it. I remember this problem even when I was still on Dan's Regimen over a year ago. My skin is clear, but my pores seem very congested. I am so sick of trying all this shit on my face and non of it brining me the results I need.

I can't use BHA more than twice a week because my skin will be dry everyday. I use PC's Moisture Hydration Boost toner thingy and it does nothing for the dryness. What the hell is out there that will keep my pores clean and clear and not dry the rest of my skin up? Should I just stick to Purpose Cleanser and a store bought Moisturizer? Is there an oral medication I can take to end this? Should I go back to my derm and talk to him about his?

But a better question is WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?! I think I'm just gonna go back to what I washed with in middle school...Noxema. At least my skin was smooth and even looking then. :/

genetics is whats causing this, you arent to blame- its your parents. now settle down and take a deep breath, im not sure if this will help you but my skin was so dry a couple days ago and i had flakes in all my pores as well, i realized its because i was using really harsh chemicals like 2% salicylic acid, retinol and benzoil peroxide and that dried out my skin, causing my skin to try and pump out more oil which didnt hydrate my skin-it broke me out. now i figured out that my skin is sensative so i use clean and clear foaming cleanser for sensative skin and now i dont even have to use moisturizer for it to be hydrated! oh and dont use toners, ther're oil elimanating estrigants so dont use it or you will dry out your skin even more, gentle expholiaters should get rid of the white flakes as they did for me. i really hope this helps, if not im sorry :(

[my opinion]

Chemicals won't treat this. Use them to disinfect. Nothing else.

A humid climate and a good diet may fix it in time. This may be far fetched but it might be the best answer if nothing else works. Just giving you hope.. when all may seem lost, this may be considered as a last resort, an environment where your skin can heal, in time. A vacation perhaps?

[/my opinion]

Edited by igrewoutsolisten

Thanks ALOT for the tips guys. I REALLY appreciate it. <3

I've been on a strict routine for at least 2 years now...tons of water, multivitamin, 1-2 swigs of ACV a day, vegetable juice or carrot juice before bed, fish oil throughout the day, zinc every now and then and also vitamin C.

After doing this for this long you'd think the results would be life changing. Well I guess I can say that my skin is almost free of ugly active acne, so I'm very fortunate for that. I just have lots of redness and redmarks in my cheeks that I really want to get taken care of. And of course the dry skin and clogged pores is a problem.

So from what it sounds...treating my skin with a moisturizer might be the key. If I can "tell" my pores to not produce too much oil when I'm asleep since the moisturizer will be doing it's job...maybe by pores will clear out and stay like that.

I just feel like the term "deep cleans" is what I need. I need something to get into my pores and clean them out and KEEP them clean. Noxema is said to be a deep cleanser so that's why I'm thinking about giving it another try. It's also a moisturizer. What do you guys think I should do?

I'd like to give a moisturizer a try, seems like a good bet right now. I'll order Dan's again if you think that's what I should go with. Oh and what would you consider a gentle exfoliator? I refuse to use any of those SA scrubs, just feels so irritating. Thanks again.<3

Edited by Joey T

A moisturizer by itself won't do much for clogged pores (if anything at all). If you want a combo moisturizer/exfoliative treatment that's best for clogged pores, go with Lac Hydrin 5. It has lactic acid in it and is a humectant (draws moisture to the skin) plus a gentle exfoliant. It's derived from milk.

Wear a sunscreen as that may help with the redness as well.

Sounds great Wynne, thanks for the reccomendation. I think I'm gonna order a bottle and give it a try. It's helped clear out your clogged pores? That's awesome. I also see that you use Queen Helen's Mask...I use that as well...think this Lac Hydrin 5 will be good to apply after the mask being that the mask brings all the flakes and clogged pores to the surface? Thanks!

Try steaming your face then applying an egg whites mask with honey & lemon juice. The steaming will open up your pores and help get rid of some of the dirt & junk closer to the surface and the egg whites mask will help draw out the stuff deeper down. Also the honey & the lemon juice are antibacterial so they help fight acne as well as clean your pours out. Make sure when you steam your face you put a towel over your head to keep the steam in.

hmmmmmm, I steam my face often, I just can't seem to get the "crap" out of my pores. I never tried that kind of mask...how do I make it exactly? ;o

Sounds great Wynne, thanks for the reccomendation. I think I'm gonna order a bottle and give it a try. It's helped clear out your clogged pores? That's awesome. I also see that you use Queen Helen's Mask...I use that as well...think this Lac Hydrin 5 will be good to apply after the mask being that the mask brings all the flakes and clogged pores to the surface? Thanks!

I think it would work nicely as a moisturizer after the mask. It may be though that the mask is too drying for you, that may be one of the causes of the redness.

I don't use Lac Hydrin 5; I use a glycolic acid product from Avon. It works GREAT for me. :P It might however be too strong for your skin. For other glycolic acid product recommendations, check out the link in my signature that starts "Glycolic acid..."

So Wynne, the Lac Hydrin 5 will help moisturize AND exfoliate inside the pores to help unclog my skin? That's exactly what I need.

Oh, and I've currently been using Dan's AHA+ for a week straight hoping it will help the redness/hyperpigmentation and maybe confirm my theory (which I explain below in question form) My skin hasn't been dry or flakey at all, but today was the first day any flakiness has come about, though it was VERY little.

So...it SEEMS like my congested pores are becoming "un-plugged" and becoming thick blackheads...is that the AHA+ kicking in and trying to clear the pores out? I'm aware that AHA doesn't go into the pores and as deep as BHA, but if it exfoliates the top layer of your skin, shouldn't it begin to let what's underneath that layer of skin out? I pray that's what's happening here and that the flakey skin was just my skin already exfoliated and shedding off.

Edited by Joey T