Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NK20

The End of Acne as I Know It... Hopefully!

So I've finally taken the plunge and ordered DKR... I've battled acne since I was 13 and I'm now 19. Obviously I wanna get rid of my acne with this but I also want to be able to help my little sister. She's 12 now and has just begun to suffer from acne and I'm not gonna stand back and let it scar her physically and emotionally like its done to me! If the DKR goes well I'll help her through it as well!

So I only ordered the 16oz BP and AHA as I can't afford the shipping on all the components of the regimen. I will be using simple products instead of Dan's cleanser and moisturiser:

1) Simple Kind to Skin Moisturising Facial Wash and

2) Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser

I've checked their ingredients for comedogenicity and on each there's just one or two on the blacklist and they were only barely there with scores of 4! They also have some nice vitamins and nutrients like Vitamin E, B5 and Bisabol (sp?). I'm hoping they'll be good substitutions!

My background is that I've been clear once or twice in my 5 year battle. When I was 16/17 I was completely clear (i.e. not one pimple) for 7!!! months after By-Mycin (Doxycycline) for 6 months and Isotrexin Gel (Topical Isotretinoin and Erythromycin). Obviously antibiotic resistance occurred as when I tried them again they didn't work. Next it was time for Dianette (Diane-35) and that cleared my forehead but it moved down to my chin and was consistently hormonal and I broke out around the time of every period. But I was happy enough with that - clear skin 3 weeks out of 4! Eventually I had to switch to Yaz due to the side effects of Dianette long-term and within 2 months I was broken out like I'd never been before all over my cheeks (esp. left) and my chin. I presumed it was Dianette withdrawal! But, it got too much to take so I went back on Dianette 3 months ago. My GP also prescribed topical clindamycin. Now my cheeks are clear (apart from blackheads) but my chin and forehead are getting little whiteheads and pustules every few days. They don't scar but are really noticeable to me so I want to get completely clear. I've decided to stay on Dianette (for 3 months anyway) but as of tonight - BP will replace my Zindaclin.

Wish me luck!

Edited by Niamh414

Day 1:

I like the smell of the BP - medicated enough to make me think it's doing something but not too strong to make me vom (very sensitive sense of smell) :)

Current state of my skin:

2 big pimples with heads on either side of my forehead

2 small pimples above my right eyebrow both with heads

1 small pimple with a head under my right eyebrow

Lots of blackheads and bumps between my eyebrows and in the middle of my forehead

Lots of bumps on my cheeks

Blackheads all over nose and cheeks

3 v.small pimples on my chin with heads and a bump thats been there for months

2 small pimples with heads on my left jaw

1 pimple with a head at the corner of the left-hand side of my lips

Ok now that's really nitpicking but I wanna have something to compare my skin to over the next few tough weeks!

Edited by Niamh414

Day 2:

Well last night I had a little redness on my cheeks before bed but it was gone this morning to be replaced by redness and dry skin on the bridge of my nose. It was nothing my moisturiser couldn't handle and my make-up too!

I might just be hoping too much but I saw an improvement in the bumps on my cheeks and between my eyebrows. The small pimples on my chin have reduced and the one above my lip is just a red mark now. The two big ones either side of my forehead are still huge with heads but the ones around my right eyebrow are just red marks now too.

I'm typing from work and as I speak I am dying to scratch my face off it's so itchy! But I can't see any redness so far - it would peek through my make-up as I only wear light Clinique liquid foundation.

I've gone against my previous decision and am gonna start off twice a day compared to my initial thought of only at night as my skin hasn't reacted all that badly. Pray things don't change!!!

So far - I'm impressed Dan :D

Edited by Niamh414

Day 3:

Ok so maybe I won't be using it twice a day. I am so itchy all over and look like I have red scaly reptile cheeks!

I didn't use BP this morning but aside from the scales I think my acne is going down already. I only have one giant spot on my forhead and the ones in between my eyebrows are gone except a scar from a really bad cyst I got months ago. The bumps on my cheeks are gone but they could just be hiding under flakes and of course I still have one or two little indented scars and countless red marks! There's actually one red mark that has become way more prominent since the morning after I first applied BP so there may be something left in the sucker and its coming back to play :P But, my chin and jaw have no actives just red marks! Yay...

I'll use BP tonight just because I want to be consistent but I think I will go buy some Jojoba oil to do the Jojoba exfoliation explained in the pinned thread on the Regimen board. It can't hurt! And I don't want my scales peeking through my make-up by the weekend as I have a hen night to go to :D

Edit:

So the Jojoba exfoliation worked a treat for the flakes but I'm still really red :( Any tips to combat the red? Already added Jojoba to my moisturiser. I was tempted to skip the BP tonight but it's worth it in the long run! I might skip it tomorrow night cos the hen night is on Saturday and then continue Saturday night when I get home. Still have no actives but all my red marks are really noticeable - I'm presuming this is just from the BP redness. I'm prepared to persevere but the redness is a b**ch under make-up!

Edited by Niamh414

Day 4:

Ok so I was very bold last night and only spot treated with the BP before bed. I was at a gig and didn't get in till late but still had to get up for work! I did the full regimen this morning and my skin is once again scaly so I'll do the Jojoba exfoliation tonight again - really like it :)

Because I was so bold I now have two red bumps threatening above the right side of my lip and at the right side of my nose along with a lovely pustule in the middle between my eyebrows. Lovely! But my cheeks and chin are clear except I find that my red marks are really really red from the BP induced redness - even some that I thought had faded for good!

I think the trick to clearing my redness even somewhat is bucket loads of moisturiser with 2 or 3 drops of Jojoba thrown in. The Jojoba cost me a bomb - 50ml for €6.25 - complete rip off. If all goes well and I'm re-ordering the BP I will defo order Dan's Jojoba, it's much cheaper per ml!

Day 5:

The redness is going away :) I just applied my BP and I'm waiting for it to dry and while the skin around my mouth is flakey it's only a little flushed instead of completely tomato red. I did the regimen day and night yesterday so I'm back on track! I think it's tme to up my BP dosage to half a finger put I'm terrified! I'm on a 1/4 finger now...

The red threatening lump above my lip is now a tiny little scab about the size of the full stop at the end of this sentence and the one at the right side of my nose had a head when I woke up this morning and at some point before I got in the shower the head had come off. Its pretty much flat now and just a red mark. The pustule between my eyebrows is also just a red mark now :) Although I was bold and popped it. An awful lot came out for a pustule that appeared overnight so I think it was a mini-purge since I always get pustules there. The pimples I get are healing really fast! Yay!

The hen night is tonight so I'll do the Jojoba exfoliation after my ballet classes - hopefully it'll clean any pore clogging sweat off and get rid of the flakes before I have to cake myself in make-up. I only wear a little powder and sometimes some L'oreal minerals powder foundation too to ballet. There's no point in putting loads on as I just sweat it off within a half hour esp. in the heat wave we're having now! But at a meal and in a night-club with fluorescents in the bathroom I defo need some heavy liquid!

I'm off to moisturise :D

Oh and thanks Barny XD

Edited by Niamh414

Day 6:

Well the hen night was whopper but arriving home at 4am I removed my make-up with a cucumber cleansing wipe and slathered BP on my face before collapsing into bed. Slacking off at night is my vice! :( But I haven't got any actives except on my chin. I get a cyst right in the middle of my chin every few months and had one about 2 months ago but I never popped it because it just kind of flaked off layer by layer over a few days. It left a purple mark though and when I stretched my skin I could see a pool of white blood cells and sebum under it. I think it's come to the surface - the area is red, inflamed and has a big yellow head. Thankfully I'm not going anywhere today so I'll let it run it's course!

Day 7: A Week :D

Well hello IB! And half a finger of BP :)

I woke up this morning with a rash of tiny little pimples on my left cheek - that was my main problem area from about Christmas time where I'd get huge breakouts and as soon as they healed it'd happen all over again. I'm presuming this is a purge and the end of my left cheek acne :) That would be AMAZING!

I also have a pimple on the front of my nose and one on the left side of it and both could be blackheads coming out cos my nose is plagued with blackheads unfortunately. I was pleasantly surprised to get home from work a few minutes ago and take off my war-paint to find they'd almost disappeared :)

I was very very very bold yesterday after I posted about my cyst and squeezed. I swear to god crap came outta that thing for like 10 minutes from at least 3 different pores in the area. I couldn't believe how much was hiding under it and although I have a giant red indent (they usually heal in about 2 weeks for me to a red dot) it was totally worth it to clean that area out cos it always pisses me right off when a cyst comes up there! I put some hydrocortisol cream on it (just a tiny tiny amount) to help reduce the inflammation and for the pain.

Well that was longer that I intended. I'm gonna hit up a Pilates class tonight for some endorphins (and a flat tummy) before I perform the regimen. I'm 50% sure that when I wake up tomorrow the pimples on my cheek will be almost gone and the ones on my nose will be gone completely. But I'm 100% sure I'll still have the massive red indent on my chin :(

Day 8:

And the IB continues...!

The left hand side of my forehead has now broken out and the rash of tiny pimples on my left cheek have all gotten heads at the same time. They're very very unattractive! I've also got some little bumps either side of my chin that will no doubt become pimples. My nose pimples are just red now - not raised! The indent on my chin isn't as indented anymore apart from a little tiny hole in the middle and just hyperpigmentation around it. I hope this clears soon like the "What To Expect" page says. I'd relly love to have clear skin for a wedding I'm going to at the end of June/beginning of July.

I have every faith in the regimen to clear me within 2 months and improve my skin's general condition in 3 months once I start the AHA but it'd be nice if that happened sooner :)

Day 9:

The redness and dry skin is back on my cheeks and around my nose but I'm on a big fat half finger of BP since yesterday so I guess it'll subside in a day or two and start again when I move to 3/4 of a finger.

My left cheek breakout is clear apart from red marks and so is my chin apart from a rapidly healing red mark - I always thought healing was compromised on BP but for me it doesn't seem true. My left forehead breakout are all coming to a head so should be one in two or three days. The lumps on my right chin have gotten smaller apart from one which feels really big, is sore to touch and purple looking so I caved and put a little AHA on it. Just the tiniest bit to try to reduce it! I also have an enlarged pore on my right cheek beside my nose so I think crap might come out of it everyday! It's always been a little big but now it's huge!

Overall I'm happy with the quality of my skin pimple wise but it has n awful texture. I can't wait for a month to go by so I can use AHA as a night-time moisturiser. I'd really love a smooth even complexion like I had last year before my Yaz disaster!

Edited by Niamh414

Day 11:

No update yesterday cos I konked out from antihistamine OD when I got home from work! Lol. I had a weird extreme hayfever rxn where I could barely move my face. Felt like someone punched my in the eyes and in the lips - both were equally swollen! So I took 3 neoclarityn spread over the day instead of my usual 2. Won't be doing that again...

Ok so I've been on a half finger of BP now for 5 days and my face is still flaky. It was on fire on Wednesday night and kept me up for hours. Yesterday it was especially bad when I got home. I went to eat my dinner and my whole face apart from my forehead and nose cracked when I went to shove a potato (not whole - maybe half) in my mouth! Did a Jojoba exfoliation and it was much better till right about now - I'm typing from work (typical slow-moving Friday afternoon!!!) and I can feel the skin around my mouth is really tight! I didn't get to use Jojoba on Wednesday at all cos I stayed in my boyfriends and forgot it so maybe once I get back into the routine of using it at least once a day my skin will go back to normal moisture levels! Dreading going up to 3/4 of a finger. I'm meant to be upping to a full finger Monday week (28th) but I really don't want to considering I'm going away on the tuesday till sunday for a wedding.

Do you guys think it'll be okay to stay on 3/4 for two weeks then up to the full amount?

My skin is pretty clear :D

My IB on my cheeks is gone and the one I thought was gonna turn into a cyst on my right cheek seems to be going away slowly. It's been there for about 3 days now and while it's still a little purple it's alot smaller and has no sign of a head :)

The indent on my chin is flat and barely red anymore! It healed extra fast!

I have 3 little pimples on my left forhead all with heads that I thought would have disappeared by now but they're still filling with crap. It's ok though - I have a fringe :)

Other than that I have two little actives on the right side of my chin where I had two before I started so maybe it's a mini purge of what was left from them.

I am definitely a half happy camper. Can't wait to be clear!!!

Day 12:

In some sort of drunken attempt at clear skin last night I put on AHA as my moisturiser! I woke up a few hours later and realised what I'd done so fully expect to wake up aain with a red-ass burning face but fortunately :D my face looks more even and feels smoother. I'm flakey by the nose but I prob missed my nose so that's ok! I love AHA. But my question now is - is it too soon to put into my regimen?

hi, i just started the regimen. hope that you get clear skin :) fight on!

Day 13:

Well... My skin has turned to crap! Is it an AHA IB? I sure as hell hope so.

Its so lumpy all over my left cheek and above my lips. I'm terrified I'm gonna have a pimple moustache when I wake up tomorrow. All the lumps seem to be centered around blackheads so maybe its just blackhead purging but either way my cheek looks like crap.

I have no actives on my forehead just a little healing one on my left eyebrow but I have lots of bumps there too which again seem to be centered around blackheads!

I also have two red inflammed pimples one beside the other on my right chin but my right side looks ok apart from that.

Emotionally... I had a little breakdown earlier after I got out of the shower and inspected my skin. My boyfriend was here thank god and he really helped me get a grip but I just hate feeling ugly every single day. I want to leave my house with no make-up for the first time in months! I want to look in the mirror and actually like what I see! He reminded me that I explained to him about things getting worse before they get better with any treatment so that gave me some perspective but honestly - if I dont have clear skin by my deadline or maybe even before, the chances are that my little breakdowns will get more and more frequent!

It's amazing the effect one cosmetic problem can have on someone's self-esteem! I haven't felt this low in years!!!

Day 13:

Well... My skin has turned to crap! Is it an AHA IB? I sure as hell hope so.

Its so lumpy all over my left cheek and above my lips. I'm terrified I'm gonna have a pimple moustache when I wake up tomorrow. All the lumps seem to be centered around blackheads so maybe its just blackhead purging but either way my cheek looks like crap.

I have no actives on my forehead just a little healing one on my left eyebrow but I have lots of bumps there too which again seem to be centered around blackheads!

I also have two red inflammed pimples one beside the other on my right chin but my right side looks ok apart from that.

Emotionally... I had a little breakdown earlier after I got out of the shower and inspected my skin. My boyfriend was here thank god and he really helped me get a grip but I just hate feeling ugly every single day. I want to leave my house with no make-up for the first time in months! I want to look in the mirror and actually like what I see! He reminded me that I explained to him about things getting worse before they get better with any treatment so that gave me some perspective but honestly - if I dont have clear skin by my deadline or maybe even before, the chances are that my little breakdowns will get more and more frequent!

It's amazing the effect one cosmetic problem can have on someone's self-esteem! I haven't felt this low in years!!!

hey im on day 12!! lots of people comment on the aha IB but most say it doesnt last too long! its a good thing to get it all out - but i do think its too soon for you to be using it!

xxx

Del, thanks for stopping by :) I agree about the AHA - it was a stupid mistake but I'm afraid now that if I stop using it every few nights it will have a worse effect than the IB!

Day 14:

I've made a bold decision. Tomorrow I'm starting 50mg of zinc! I've heard it helps flatten the little spots and right now that's my biggest concern.

Clear forehead apart from lumpy blackheads.

Clear chin apart from those two big inflammed spots right next to each other but they're healing.

Clear right cheek.

Broken out left cheek in another one of those rash of pimple things.

Loads of blackheads on nose (obviously) but no inflammed acne.

3 baby pimples right above the right side of my lip.

Lumps on the left side above my lip seem to have subsided a bit overnight.

Face still looks horrible... And I still feel how it looks :( Gonna go get some sleep and hope to wake up with a new perspective!

Why is it that when I wake up and look in the mirror I'm happy and it's not lumpy but when I wash my face the lumps come back? Sometimes I want to put my make-up on straight away and not do the regimen so my face can look that good all day!

Day 17:

I'm still breaking out! And it's still getting me down. I was really shocked today when I woke up to 6 actives - 4 of which are new!

My clear forehead now has a big papule on the right hand side.

My nose has a big painful lump right where it meets the cheek on the right hand side.

Theres a big, red, inflammed pustule on my right cheek.

THere's a pea sized papule right where my jaw meets my cheek on the left hand side thats sore to the touch.

And I have two baby pustules the size of a full stop above my lip and on my chin on the right hand side (not particularly bothered by these ones!).

It's weird that the left hand side of my face has always been my enemy but then about two months ago it all moved over to the right and now I have to face both everyday!

Acne SUCKS! C'mon Dan - Do your work!

Day 17:

I'm still breaking out! And it's still getting me down. I was really shocked today when I woke up to 6 actives - 4 of which are new!

My clear forehead now has a big papule on the right hand side.

My nose has a big painful lump right where it meets the cheek on the right hand side.

Theres a big, red, inflammed pustule on my right cheek.

THere's a pea sized papule right where my jaw meets my cheek on the left hand side thats sore to the touch.

And I have two baby pustules the size of a full stop above my lip and on my chin on the right hand side (not particularly bothered by these ones!).

It's weird that the left hand side of my face has always been my enemy but then about two months ago it all moved over to the right and now I have to face both everyday!

Acne SUCKS! C'mon Dan - Do your work!

Are you still using the AHA?

Nope no AHA. Everytime I walk past a mirror I feel worse and worse about myself and the fact that I'm completely fatigued lately and undergoing testing for that is making me feel even worse.

If anyone can help me please post! I can't seem to find any regimen logs or topics that apply to my current situation - having a second breakout worse that the IB!

I have everything in my life that I need apart from clear skin. I know that's not a basic need but I do need it to live my life. My acne affects my social life, my relationship, my family, my friends, my work performance and my academic performance. It's affected my life so completely that I need to be rid of it now or chances are my emotional health will be utterly fu**ed!

hey niamh

I know how ya feel, im waiting for that bit of relief!! But there is always light at the end of the tunnel!

I went to Dr Buckley Dermotologist in Blackrock clinic.

He really sound! The first thing he said to me when I went to see him was that he was going to cure my acne! Music to my ears. :P

If it doesnt improve no harm in getting in touch with him.

Hope it starts to get better for ya :)

im on day 16 and my face looks like crap today .....i know how u feel i hate this too! just kep going and have faith, this has to work or my life is over!

Thanks Jordan. I've actually never been to a derm before and I think I might get a referral today. I have to go to my GP anyway so there's no harm in having one in case DKR doesn't work out. I'm considering roaccutane anyway as a "cure" because I don't wanna spend my whole life treating. Is Dr. Buckley covered by the VHI do you know?

Thanks Del. It's nice to feel supported. And I get the life is over thing! I feel like acne has taken so much away from me already that I can't bear losing anymore.

Thanks Jordan. I've actually never been to a derm before and I think I might get a referral today. I have to go to my GP anyway so there's no harm in having one in case DKR doesn't work out. I'm considering roaccutane anyway as a "cure" because I don't wanna spend my whole life treating. Is Dr. Buckley covered by the VHI do you know?

Thanks Del. It's nice to feel supported. And I get the life is over thing! I feel like acne has taken so much away from me already that I can't bear losing anymore.

My GP was absolutely useless, he said my skin was not bad enough to go roaccutane again so I had to suffer for two months taking crap anti biotics! When I went to the derm he made me feel alot better and said to give roac a go again. Yeh no harm making an appointment now! I had to wait a month to be seen. Long month but was worth the wait. Yep im nearly sure VHI covers it.

Let me know how ya get on! Good luck :)