Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vegasgirl

Accutane questions ?

Hey I'm a 17 year old female that weighs about 105 pounds. For the first two months I've been on 60mg of Claravis, now in the first week of the third month I'm on 40 mg of Amnesteen (not sure of the spelling sorry). For the last two weeks, I've experienced the worst IB in my life, really. My whole face is spotted. I'll spare the details, but I was wondering if others experienced and IB nearing the end of their second month and into their third month? Also it's weird because I had moderate persistent acne that was mostly non-inflammatory, but now i'm experiencing a lot of cysts and nodules. It's quite depressinggg please share all the information possible.

Is this normal? Will I clear up soon? How long do you think it'll last?

Thanks guys in advanced!

Edited by vegasgirl

You will be just fine, Vegasgirl. Just let it do its thing and try not to panic. Swelling/inflammation can happen; it is a known side-effect that can happen before you see the visible results you want. Just maintain a healthy diet, drink lots of water, and get lots of fresh air while taking your accutane.. Do that, and 3-4 months from now you will be good to go.

My advice would be to try and not think about it. You can't do much to counter that IB but do what I listed above. Nobody can really give you a good idea of how long it will last. Clear your mind and trust that accutane will do its job for you. All you have to do is give it some time while trying not to stress over it.

Edited by Jxr

i think ur IB is due to the change of accutane brand and a decreased in dosage...to see mark improvements on accutane, the dosage should be increased starting from 2-3rd month...i was bumped from 50mg to 60 mg on my second month and my skin is perfect up to now that im on my 70th day....

Marklein: I started breaking out 2 weeks before I was bumped down to 40mg, so I don't think that's the case. I think maybe it is just an inevitable breakout that was well anticipated, so after you got bumped up you started clearing up? what brand are you using?

Thank you so much. The random inflammation is so dreadful and disappointing, but you gave me extra hope again so thank you so much. Hopefully the IB will go away and I'll be clearing up soon so I'm guessing you were on accutane too? haha

You will clear up! That is inevitable.. You can just never be sure if thats going to take 4 months or 6 per say for your skin to start getting better. I am on 80mg per day right now and my skin looks really good; I am about 3 months in roughly. I had an Initial break-out around 3 weeks into starting that pretty much all went away within 3 weeks to a month.

Edited by Jxr

Thank you so much. The random inflammation is so dreadful and disappointing, but you gave me extra hope again so thank you so much. Hopefully the IB will go away and I'll be clearing up soon so I'm guessing you were on accutane too? haha

You will clear up! That is inevitable.. You can just never be sure if thats going to take 4 months or 6 per say for your skin to start getting better. I am on 80mg per day right now and my skin looks really good; I am about 3 months in just about. I had an Initial break-out around 3 weeks into starting that pretty much all went away within 3 weeks to a month.

What I don't get is why I broke out so randomly at the end of my 2 months and not in the beginning like most aha I guess accutane works differently with everyone especially me?

You will clear up! That is inevitable.. You can just never be sure if thats going to take 4 months or 6 per say for your skin to start getting better. I am on 80mg per day right now and my skin looks really good; I am about 3 months in just about. I had an Initial break-out around 3 weeks into starting that pretty much all went away within 3 weeks to a month.

What I don't get is why I broke out so randomly at the end of my 2 months and not in the beginning like most aha I guess accutane works differently with everyone especially me?

Results will not be consistent from person to person. You will not respond to accutane exactly the same as anyone else will, as everyone responds differently to the accutane in their system. Having a break-out after a month or two certainly isn't an impossibility; truly anything can happen. You're just kind've along for the ride that accutane takes you on. Where that ride takes you is something you can't really do much about :P. The good thing is, however, is that the end result is fairly consistent; and that is clear skin! Now you just have to give it some time while trying to not get discouraged about how your body is responding to Accutane ^_^

To give you some insight into my individual story.. Right when I had started taking accutane it instantly got better within a week or so.. Much better.. Then out of nowhere about 2-3 weeks in I got a crazy initial break-out; then it eventually got back to how it was (being better) a few weeks later. I don't really have acne anymore; never really had it on my face which I'm lucky I guess.. Then again it depends how you look at it because I had it like on the back of my neck when it was at its worst etc.. So come to think of it... Am I lucky to not have facial acne? or am I unlucky to have gotten it in general? haha.

Edited by Jxr

VEGASGURL:

if i read it correcly, u said that ur pimples r now inflammatory...but anyway, when my derm is about to prescribe me an accutane, i suggested to give me the branded one from ROCHE because i dont trust the other generic brands like amnessteen, claravis etc...

Jxr: hmm i would say it is lucky to not have facial acne haha but sort of like you, I was clearing up and then all of a sudden bam haha what month are you on ?

Marklein: Does it matter what brand it is? In the end it's the same substance (isotretinoin) and isn't ROCHE banned in the U.S.? That is why dermatologists only prescribe the generic brand. But ultimately it works the exact same way like how motrin, advil, and ibuprofen are the same

VEGAS GIRL:

BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, BRANDED DRUGS WORK BETTER THAN GENERICS ONES...JUST LIKE PAIN MEDICATION, LIKE ADVIL A BRANDED ONE THAT WORKS FOR ME IN JUST A COUPLE OF MINUTES COMPARE TO 2 GENERIC IBUFROFEN DRUGS WHICH WILL TAKE TIME TO DIMINISH THE PAIN....ROCHE PULLED OUT ACCUTANE BCOZ OF THE EXISTING LAWSUITS AND BECAUSE OF INCREASING NO. OF GENERICS WHICH AFFECTED THEIR SALES...EVEN MY DERM SAID THAT SHE PREFERS ROCHE'S ACCUTANE.....IN UR CASE, SINCE U R IN THE US, I THINK IT WILL WORK FOR U....ANYWAY ITS TOO EARLY TO TELL UNTIL U FINISHED THE WHOLE CYCLE...GOODLUCK FOR BOTH OF US...

The generic or brand, I honestly could care less, they're the same stuff lol. Anyway my main concern is my horrible breakout which I feel like is getting gradually better. :)

And marklein: good luck with your course! :)

Currently on month 3!! How's it going here vegasgirl?! :o

Getting better actually haha, still have the break out but it's healing gradually everyday. I'm in month 3 too :) hopefully month 4 will be more promising haha

FYI: The brand Accutane is no longer available in the US. It was NOT banned.

Link to Roche's news:

http://www.rocheusa.com/newsroom/current/2...2009062601.html

Copy/paste of Roche' news release:

June 29, 2009 -- Nutley, N.J.

Roche Discontinues and Plans to Delist Accutane in the U.S.

Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. has notified the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of its intent to immediately discontinue the manufacture and distribution of Accutane® (isotretinoin), its ground-breaking treatment for severe recalcitrant nodular acne that has not responded to other therapies. This decision is being taken for business reasons during a reevaluation of our product portfolio of medicines that are now available from generic manufacturers, and is not being taken for reasons of safety or efficacy.

Since 2002, generic formulations of isotretinoin, the active ingredient in Accutane, entered the market. Current manufacturers/distributors are Barr Laboratories Inc., Genpharm, Inc. / Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., and Ranbaxy Laboratories Inc. As a result, Roche’s prescription market share of Accutane has steadily declined for several years and is now below 5 percent. Therefore, the generic companies can supply the market. In addition, Roche has been faced with high costs from personal-injury lawsuits that the company continues to defend vigorously.

Roche stands behind the safety of Accutane and the rigorous risk management program Roche developed over decades of cooperation with the FDA and the American Academy of Dermatology. Currently, the iPledge pregnancy risk management program is a model in the pharmaceutical industry. Roche is committed to working with the FDA and the isotretinoin generic manufacturers for the eventual transition of Roche’s business responsibilities in iPledge to the remaining sponsors.

We are proud of Accutane, a product of original Roche research that has been used in the treatment of severe recalcitrant nodular acne by more than 13 million patients since it was introduced in 1982.

Please see complete Accutane prescribing information at www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane and www.iPledgeProgram.com.

Generics are NOT affected by Roche's decision. Generic isotretinoin is still available in the US and abroad.