Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jessasaurusrex

I hate when I have to hear the "It could be worse speech".

I'm sure many of you have heard this. The thing is I know it could be worse but that doesn't change the way I feel about what I'm suffering with. Just because it could be worse doesn't change anything. I've been suffering with acne for 3 years now, yet it seems like a lifetime. Acne is all I can remember, I feel like the past 3 years of my life my mind has been dictated by my skin. If my skin looks bad I feel like crap. Yet it seems no matter how much better things get I still am annoyed with my skin to no end. I criticize my face in a way that no one else ever would. I've basically brain washed myself into seeing my skin so much worse than it really is. I wish I knew how to change that. Any suggestions? And no therapy is not a option, I don't need professional help. I got myself into this I can get myself out.

Yeah I hate the "it could be worse" shit. My mom came home the other day and said I shouldn't be so sad about my skin because she saw a kid at the grocery store who had way worse acne than me. Like...and your point is? :rolleyes:

It's because everything effects everyone differently. Your mom doesn't see it as such a huge deal because she doesn't fully understand your struggle, and she never will. You can feel sympathy for someone but you can never truly understand their struggle until you face it yourself.

That happens to me even on this site. I come here for support and people tell me that I have nothing to worry about and question my right to post. What they don't get is that everyone has a unique situation and we shouldn't have to suffer desperately and "look the worst" to get some support. It's insensitive.

I hear ya! I was actually just talking to my boyfriend today about how our physical closeness has changed and I think it could be related to my total lack of self-confidence now due to acne. His response was, "yes, acne sucks. But hey, it could be worse." That in know way helps me feel better!

Why's therapy not an option? People frequently dig themselves into psychological hellholes of disillusion and cannot get themselves out on their own. It's no crime and not an admission of inferiority to seek assistance.

Why's therapy not an option? People frequently dig themselves into psychological hellholes of disillusion and cannot get themselves out on their own. It's no crime and not an admission of inferiority to seek assistance.

BTW I second this. There isn't anything wrong with "professional help".

I think most people that say this are just trying to cheer you up or give you a diffrent point of view to feel better about urself but yeah, it rarely works. It might work for a day and then when you see your face in a bad angle it could dissapear just like that. Then you feel like shit again. It can ALWAYS be worse though for anyone thats the reality.

BTW I second this. There isn't anything wrong with "professional help".

I think there is a balance about the whole "it could be worse thing". For the most part I agree with the op. However when there is someone who has only a couple pimples is more depressed about their face than someone with very severe acne....and that point you have to tell them to get over themselves.

Maybe I'm just bitter from having a very severe case :/

... I tell MYSELF this phrase when I feel depressed about my skin, and it always makes me feel a lot better. I could have cancer and be given 1 year to live, which is why "it could be worse"... Sorry to be the odd one out, but for this phrase has lifted my spirits many, many times.

Saying 'it could be worse' makes me feel better, cuz I'm glad I still have my health.

Definitely.

A girl I know really well just lost most of her family yesterday. I know problems like acne are so trivial now to me. People really tend to take things for granted, and I wish people would realize there's so much more to be happy about in life other than having clear skin.

I realized it "could be worse" when I saw a blind woman and her guide dog nearly get run over by some idiot using a cell phone. At least I have my vision. I realized it could be worse when my cousin was diagnosed with some kind of muscle degeneration disorder. Thats when I found out I had no right to be depressed over my (not even that bad - I mean it wasnt disfiguring or anything) "skin condition". Sure I dont like my reflection, but I still like to see the world. And I definitely like being able to walk.

Sorry to disagree but it COULD be worse. I'm sure many people would switch their problem with acne in a heartbeat.

it COULD be worse.

but so what? it could ALWAYS be worse.

unless you have it THE worst, and if you do, you're the only person on this earth who does, and boy that sucks.

i don't really agree with the whole "hey don't worry it could be worse" stuff because i personally don't really feel like taking comfort in the fact that others are possibly struggling more than me. it's a backwards way of positive thinking IMO.

everyone has a different perspective on what is "rough" for them, but someones pain and suffering shouldn't be underminded just because someone else out there might have it worse.

it COULD be worse.

but so what? it could ALWAYS be worse.

unless you have it THE worst, and if you do, you're the only person on this earth who does, and boy that sucks.

i don't really agree with the whole "hey don't worry it could be worse" stuff because i personally don't really feel like taking comfort in the fact that others are possibly struggling more than me. it's a backwards way of positive thinking IMO.

everyone has a different perspective on what is "rough" for them, but someones pain and suffering shouldn't be underminded just because someone else out there might have it worse.

It is not about taking comfort in the fact that others are struggling more than you, it's about being GREATFUL for what you DO have, knowing that your life could be much worse than just having acne, and we should realize how lucky we are for having our health. Whenever I start to feel really upset or mad about my acne and sorry for myself, I always remember that MY LIFE could be worse, as in, I could have cancer, or get into a car accident and become a parapaligic tomorrow. If that were to happen, I'm sure that acne would be one of the LAST thing I had on my mind. It has nothing to do with taking comfort in knowing that others are struggling more that me. It's about not feeling sorry for one's self and thinking that our skin problems are a horrible debilitating condition, when really, IT COULD BE WORSE! : )

Edited by smartie

my roommate has moderate to severe acne and i only have mild with red spots, so whenever i look in the mirror and complain, he would always say " SHUT UP!! look at my face :ninja: !!" he says i shouldnt be complainig because he has worse acne and he doesnt react the way i do.

WELL!!! what if i want to :mad: !! now i dont really look at myself in the mirror and frown :cry: inside our room. i do it outside so i wont have him tell me that every time. :banana:

Just a thought (from personal experience):

It's the kind of thing people say when they don't know what to do to make you feel better. If you complain about your skin a lot, while also sending out the message 'and nothing you can do or say can make me feel better' you leave people who care about you powerless and frustrated, and they turn to clichés because they don't know how to deal with it anymore.

It's also the kind of thing my mom always told me when I was a teenager, and I'm happy she did, because now, even though I still have my bad days, it's easier to put my 'misery' in perspective.

The fact is, it could be worse. It could be a million times worse. But that's no comfort when you feel like you can't even leave your house or even talk to anyone properly at home because of how you feel about your skin.

People could easily look at me and think i'm over reacting or that 'it could be worse'. It just doesn't help the situation.

I agree with others that have said it's something people say to make you feel better, but personally, I just can't get any comfort from the saying :)

That happens to me even on this site. I come here for support and people tell me that I have nothing to worry about and question my right to post. What they don't get is that everyone has a unique situation and we shouldn't have to suffer desperately and "look the worst" to get some support. It's insensitive.

I know how you feel, everytime I post something I get someone telling me "oh get over it we all feel like you do" but thats why I post here.... :/

Know you ARE beautiful, and although it may not seem like it - there's something that will always be worse than what you are facing. For all of those with the bad attitude, maybe that's why you have acne. And all this is coming from a girl who's struggled with acne since age 11, who growing up had a great attitude and wonderful friends.

If someone says ''it could be worse'' - know it could, and maybe with your bad attitude the ''could'' will be ''is''. And if someone points out your acne in a way you dont like simply say ''I'm sorry your so disappointed with yourself you bring down others.'' You sound confident and gain respect.

Really thing about what I said.

It is not about taking comfort in the fact that others are struggling more than you, it's about being GREATFUL for what you DO have, knowing that your life could be much worse than just having acne, and we should realize how lucky we are for having our health. Whenever I start to feel really upset or mad about my acne and sorry for myself, I always remember that MY LIFE could be worse, as in, I could have cancer, or get into a car accident and become a parapaligic tomorrow. If that were to happen, I'm sure that acne would be one of the LAST thing I had on my mind. It has nothing to do with taking comfort in knowing that others are struggling more that me. It's about not feeling sorry for one's self and thinking that our skin problems are a horrible debilitating condition, when really, IT COULD BE WORSE! : )

you can be grateful for what you have without having to think "boy, it's so great that at least i don't have cancer."

i'd rather learn to be content where i am because i am in a good place, not because i am not in a shittier place. there are many other ways to deal with your situation and whatever you're going through than just tossing on the old "it could be worse" label. so what if it could be worse? it could be better too. we should strive to make things better for ourself, strive to improve, instead of just settling because at least it's not as bad as people with cancer, or people in car accidents. that just seems like a fake kind of comfort to me.

I've been almost exactly where you are, in that I HATED my skin and had procedures (IPL) done and seriously sometimes when I looked in the mirror I would just cry because of how bad my acne looked to me at that time.

Looking back on pics of me, it really wasn't that bad. My acne is pretty much gone now, but I now have folliculitis all over my body :rolleyes:

But it really doesn't bother me like it used to, even though sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't trade the folliculitis in for the acne again. And if the red bumps on my butt and legs and everywhere else was the worst I had to worry about, I'd be set. unfortunately (fortunately?) I have other things going on that kind of put that in perspective.

Edited by postfetalphase