Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone first post here, been a lurker for a while but just thought I'd share my experience. :)

In short I've had acne since I was 13 (now 21); always seemed like I had it worse then everyone else. It's never been 'severe' I would say although I would guess very close to it with the amount of treatments I have used. Just as an insight I've listed treatments I have had below:

1. Topical treatments - benzyol peroxide creams/ differin/ duac/ Oxy/ Clearasil (All the usual stuff)
  2. Antibiotics - Doxytetracycline/ Erythromycin/ Lymecycline
  3. Non Surgical Treatments - 12x IPL Laser/ 3x N-Lite Laser/ 6 Chemical Peels/ 6 Microdermabrasion/
  4. Other - Sunbeds/ Saunas/Change of diet/Home Glycolic Peels/ Tea Tree Oil/ Apple Cider Vinegar/ Aspirin Mask/ Seaweed Mask/ Cover-up.

Theres probably a lot more I could list there but its been over such a long time period I cant even remember!

To cut the long story short It's calmed down a bit in the last few years although I've noticed my face has got a lot redder. And my skin has gone from normal to very oily. I started noticing how everyone else my age was now out of their 'spotty stage' and i was still in it (which really frustrated me, as it would).

So after another failed treatment (some things tend to work for a bit but then i just start breaking out again or face goes redder with sensitivity), i decided I wanted to be referred to a dermatologist.

Well that was last month and upon the derms inspection of my face, and after reading my list of what I'd already tried; he suggested roaccutane.

I was kind of hoping he would say that, unless he was going to diagnose me with Rosacea (which he didnt really agree), so i accepted, got my blood tests done and started on 30mg the week after (24/05/10).

Well I'm on Week 3 now and I've decided to keep a track of my progress to see whether i improve. Here's hoping i do as I dont have a clue what my next step would be in the ever ending acne battle!

Week 1

Nothing really happened. Maybe got a few more spots than usual but nothing major. (I mainly get spots on my neck, forehead and cheek area - with large pores on the nose and under the eyes). Skin still very oily, although lips beginning to feel dry. Also been using 'Oxy 10' on spots and red scars.

Week 2

Skin starting to get a bit dry on the nose and around the eyebrows. Though I've been using E45 on these areas and its manageable. Changed to using 'Pan Oxyl 10' on spots (recommended by the pharmacy i went to as it was cheaper and you get more) and to be honest i think its a lot better; any breakout has seemed to just 'burnt off'. Skin is still red but not as oily towards the end of the week. Hoping for the best :)

So I'll try and update weekly and post a few pics soon (pre-accutane/ during)

Thanks

Andy :)

I feel like I have the same kind of skin issues that you have. I may have to go to a derm and see if I can get this redness problem solved.... Good luck to you man, hope it works for you

Best of luck to u Andy. I just started as well. Only 5 days in and the breakout is on. Hope all goes well for you :)

Edited by goodz19

Hey thanks for the comments :)

Week 3

End of this week and my face is no longer oily although I've got a few dry patches on my cheeks, nose and forehead which peel a little. Can be helped with E45. Noticed today that my legs are looking dry and i can feel that my back is dry so guess I'll have to start putting some cream on them. Yesterday I noticed a bumpy red rash on my right hand although I don't have a clue what it is. I don't suffer with eczema or psoriasis its just like a cluster of little bumps. Roaccutane related? I'm guessing so.

Lips are still really dry, cant go anywhere without Carmex. Had a bit of a breakout this week on my left cheek, jaw and neck area. Right side remains quite smooth apart from red marks. Face in general also seems to have got more red. Haven't used the PanOxyl cream as much whilst face has been dry and red

I went on two nights out during the week although I didn't drink a drop of alcohol. Friends were pressuring me into drinking, to the point of actually buying me drinks but I stuck to my guns and said no. One or two drinks might not harm me but I want to give this 100% commitment. I just hope it all pays off.

Pics below are what my skin was like pre-roaccutane. Urgh.

post-95368-1276380358_thumb.jpg

post-95368-1276380387_thumb.jpg

Take care.

Andy

post-95368-1276380358_thumb.jpg

post-95368-1276380387_thumb.jpg

Edited by andy_88

Week 4

1 month in :) and all seems to be going well. A few more spots have appeared although a bit of bp on them helps them on their way. Face is generally still red and can get dry if i don't apply enough moisturiser, so i put loads on now because it doesnt make me oily. Lips very dry and bled a little this week.

Red spots have shown up on my legs :wacko: don't know whether these are insect bites due to the warm weather we've had (i don't think i've ever been bitten) or roaccutane related. Oh well.

Derm appointment in 2 and a bit weeks :)

Andy

Week 4

1 month in :) and all seems to be going well. A few more spots have appeared although a bit of bp on them helps them on their way. Face is generally still red and can get dry if i don't apply enough moisturiser, so i put loads on now because it doesnt make me oily. Lips very dry and bled a little this week.

Red spots have shown up on my legs :wacko: don't know whether these are insect bites due to the warm weather we've had (i don't think i've ever been bitten) or roaccutane related. Oh well.

Derm appointment in 2 and a bit weeks :)

Andy

gl with your course!

i'd advise steering clear of using BP though! can be tempting to use other products but in the long run it's best to just cleanse/moisturise when on accutane. I'm using vaseline (petroleum jelly) for my lips- cheap as chips and works a charm

your acne seems mild (in comparison to some other accutane cases atleast!) so fingers crossed you might get clearer that bit quicker :)

Week 5

Beginning of week 5 and everything still running smoothly. Dont want to jinx this! Maybe only a few small spots have appeared but nothing really noticeable. Redness has died down a bit. Lips still dry although not as much. Skin not dry either although i have been consistent in applying moisturiser all over my body (the red spots on my legs have gone too).

Broke out on my back in a few places but not too worried about that. Put small amount of bp on areas, and have stopped using it on my face.

Thanks for the comments everyone fingers crossed. :)

Pics from week 5

post-95368-1277751716_thumb.jpg

post-95368-1277751733_thumb.jpg

post-95368-1277751716_thumb.jpg

post-95368-1277751733_thumb.jpg

Great job Andy. Hope all continues to move along for you w/ no setbacks. Looks like you're progressing well!

Week 6

Thanks for the comments guys :)

So coming to the end of week 6 and had my second derm appointment today (a different derm again). Dosage upped to 40mg.

Big outbreak this week, knew I'd jinxed it. Massive boil on side of my neck, and quite a few whiteheads on right side of face. Had to completely quit bp because it was drying my face out far too much. Got the dryness balance back now although it takes a few days.

Was in the sun for long periods a week or two ago for a few days and my face has suddenly gone really red so don't know if thats related. Also skin seems to have gone oily again around the t-zone. Annoying when i was getting used to not having to wipe my face all the time.

Next appointment isnt till middle of October (was hoping to be off them before that but nevermind).

Good luck everyone.

2 Months :D

So its 2 months today since i started the tane. Seems like its gone quick but othertimes feels like a lifetime.

Skin is doing well i guess, no major new active spots; just the outbreak i had the other week seems to be taking a long time to disappear. I've heard the treatment can cause your skin take longer to heal.

Anyway thats all for now :)

Hey, Im in the UK too and hopefully (bloodwork depending) I will be starting next week, going straight in at 40mg, even though I am little!! This scares me a bit but the derm knows best - I hope!

Just wanted to say good luck and I will be keeping up with your log, your progress looks great already!!

Take care :D

Guest Timehealsall

wow man, your acne before accutane was mild. How did you convince your doctor to give you accutane lol? I am thinking about trying accutane, but the side effects scare me to death.

Hey, Im in the UK too and hopefully (bloodwork depending) I will be starting next week, going straight in at 40mg, even though I am little!! This scares me a bit but the derm knows best - I hope!

Just wanted to say good luck and I will be keeping up with your log, your progress looks great already!!

Take care :D

Hey yeah you should be fine. I was waiting on a call off the derm to say i could start but it never came, so i rang up and they said oh yeah your fine you can start i was a bit like :/.

Thanks a lot :)

wow man, your acne before accutane was mild. How did you convince your doctor to give you accutane lol? I am thinking about trying accutane, but the side effects scare me to death.

Hey, you think? I thought it was quite bad but we would all think that personally i think. To be honest I just went and took a list of everything that I had tried previously (which was a lot), and when he seen it he was like Ok I think I'll refer you to a dermatologist.

The side effects scared me a lot too, my mum was adamant that i wasn't to take them; but i went ahead anyway. Honestly though I'm in week 9 now (i think) and the only thing I've suffered with is dry lips, flushing from time to time when i get hot and my back is a little tender sometimes. But thats it.

Obviously everyones different but I really don't think accutane is as bad as everyone hypes it up to be.

Thanks for the comment :)