Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ranitidine (acid reducer) has greatly reduced oil!

Hi everyone,

I was doing some casual research on off-the-wall acne treatments and stumbled upon some threads about zantac and how it can reduce acne.

Background on me... I'm 39 and have had acne since I was about 14. Cystic acne from around age 14 to age 29 and less severe whitheads/pustules since then. I have always had extremely oily skin, which has been a cause of extreme frustration over the past couple of decades.

So, I bought some generic acid reducers (150mg per tablet) at Costco about a month ago and started taking 1 tablet in the morning and 1 tablet at night before bed. The active ingredient in the tablets are ranitidine.

After 3 weeks of taking these tablets as described, I have notices that my skin is about 90% less oily than it was before I started this experiment. Also, over the last week, I have not had one new flare-up, which for me is a miracle. To top it off, my wife and I went to California last week for vacation and I would normally break out terribly from the humidity, but didn't break out at all!

Just wanted to share this information with everyone in hopes that others might benefit from this as well.

I am thinking of reducing the dose to half a tablet in the morning and half in the evening. I've been trying to find reliable information on long term usage of ranitidine, but haven't been able to find much yet.

If you try it, let me know what you think.

By the way, here's the thread that got me started on this treatment (discussion on ranitidine begins on page 10):

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthr...+acne+treatment

cartman

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone,

I was doing some casual research on off-the-wall acne treatments and stumbled upon some threads about zantac and how it can reduce acne.

Background on me... I'm 39 and have had acne since I was about 14. Cystic acne from around age 14 to age 29 and less severe whitheads/pustules since then. I have always had extremely oily skin, which has been a cause of extreme frustration over the past couple of decades.

So, I bought some generic acid reducers (150mg per tablet) at Costco about a month ago and started taking 1 tablet in the morning and 1 tablet at night before bed. The active ingredient in the tablets are ranitidine.

After 3 weeks of taking these tablets as described, I have notices that my skin is about 90% less oily than it was before I started this experiment. Also, over the last week, I have not had one new flare-up, which for me is a miracle. To top it off, my wife and I went to California last week for vacation and I would normally break out terribly from the humidity, but didn't break out at all!

Just wanted to share this information with everyone in hopes that others might benefit from this as well.

I am thinking of reducing the dose to half a tablet in the morning and half in the evening. I've been trying to find reliable information on long term usage of ranitidine, but haven't been able to find much yet.

If you try it, let me know what you think.

By the way, here's the thread that got me started on this treatment (discussion on ranitidine begins on page 10):

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthr...+acne+treatment

cartman

ranitidine is also used off-label of course for decreasing redness after drinking alcohol. I can't think of what would be the mechanism of action for efficacy for oily skin. It works on the histamine-2 receptors. I might actually try this.

Dam, it is cheap. Do you plan on taking this indefinitely? Any long term use issues or side effects that you know of?

Dam, it is cheap. Do you plan on taking this indefinitely? Any long term use issues or side effects that you know of?

I haven't been able to find any reliable data on the long term side effects. My brother has been taking these for acid reflux for over 10 years with no complications. So, I think it's probably fine as long as you don't take more than the daily recommended allowance.

Hey

Im new to this Forum and i was just reading your post and followed the link you posted. I have been using Zantac and it really seems to be working ive been using it for about 3 days and ive never seen my skin so clear. So thanks for posting it i would of never of found this out otherwise.

Tom :surprised:

Awesome to hear, Tom! Hope it continues for you.

Edited by Guest